• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako .243 HeavyBarrel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bucktote Did not realize .257 bullets were that small . Wow. Big case. I guess it will be my coyote rifle. These must shoot flat!

Stephen, don't sell the quarter bores short. The Weatherby is king of the powder mountain...well, 257 STW might be close. The 120 gr has serious sectional density and penetrates like larger calibers, so I imagine Monolithic bullets are probably more impressive. If you plan on using it for coyotes, I hope you are skilled at sewing, as it most decidedly isn't fur friendly. This is a tremendous long range/open prairie/ high mountain valley caliber. I would use it with confidence for all NA game, except Grizzly, Bison and maybe moose. The medium bores are more appropriate for these critters. I have seen several elk taken cleanly with a .25-06, some might argue that is walking the ragged edge. I am always on the lookout for an AV in .25-06. Some day.

Congrats on your Sakos!

Gary

Happy New Year to all!!!
Gowyo has the same opinion as I about killing power of the .243. I am convinced that bullet placement is the key to quick, sudden kills. Many of the members of this forum are excellent marksmen & possess the skills to place the bullet where they aim. Naturally it makes sense that a quality rifle capable of consistant groups is the tool that helps accomplish that goal. My Sako rifles are that tool & help me shoot better even at my age. Practice is the key to consistant groups as many of our members will attest to. Be careful not to ask a smaller cal.to do the job on heavy boned & thick skinned animals.
Best wishes to all in the new year!! B/T

Guys I Removed my bolt from the 579. Used the bore guide And cleaned my Barrel. Used hoppes cleaner. Ran couple patches. Couple minutes later wet brush ran it through the action area up the barrel. Brassed it 5-6 times. Then ran a new mop with Hoppes . Couple patches. Until clean. Witch took a while. Can’t believe how dirty this gun was. Knowing the man I bought it from (Hell of a man) I was shocked. Oh well . The gun is clean. Ran (2) dry patches after oil. Here’s my problem! Can’t get bolt back in! I pushed in Bolt release to remove. And to return. No luck. Help!

Stephen, I got this advice when my 222 Sako bolt would not Stay in

The bolt guide-rod is probably on the wrong side of the bolt.
Remove the bolt.....rotate the guide-rod to the right side of the bolt, and reinstall.

Lol. I was too when mine did that. Congratulations on a great rifle Stephen.

Latest posts

Back