• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

5599F3C7-1298-40EA-9D4D-AA7A93E7819E.jpeg
Bloo, take some more pictures of that shed. That angle has me confused. Looks like a main beam coming off of a huge eye guard.
AD20D5E3-3DEA-4640-92A6-FF3857F852A9.jpeg

Actually.. it is a main beam coming from a huge eye guard! The G2 measures 10 1/2”
I was amazed at its condition after 10 months on the forest floor. Usually by this time one is lucky to find shards and pieces chewed and knawed by rodents and such. The character of the browtine is unique but we have yet to find a match with the bucks we’ve caught on camera..but he should be a contender if he still lives. Time will tell…

edit : added a coldbeer for scale!
bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
It was found along a new rub/scrape line we discovered. I kinda feel like the areas you find sheds are often areas that bucks pattern in post season..the secure and quiet places for deer. The potential for the scrapes to include the buck that cast this shed is high. It’s gonna be fun finding out! CD84D506-3E05-4D6D-8D69-0BCAC8F7F83F.jpeg We still have other options!
Bloo

KIMG0037.JPG
So the plantation that my father-in-law manages, and has for 40years, and his father before him, has sold. Took my first whitetail on this farm, as did my son. New owners take over on December 1. Got about 10 days for my son and I to take possibly our last deer on this farm.

View attachment 24613
So the plantation that my father-in-law manages, and has for 40years, and his father before him, has sold. Took my first whitetail on this farm, as did my son. New owners take over on December 1. Got about 10 days for my son and I to take possibly our last deer on this farm.

I am getting ready to experience the polar opposite this season! My sons and I have hunted the same property for almost 30 yrs. They were both just hungry, cold , bored and noisy kids when I introduced them to the woods. Every memory was made there.
This year we bought our own dirt to hunt..and it has shown us great potential in every aspect. The bucks we’ve seen are far better than what we’ve been accustomed to. Other than the bonds we’ve made , it will all be new to us.
No Magic Stumps or favorite stands..No Beech tree with our initials carved in it.
We’ll be building more memories, and I’m sure we’ll find another suitable Beech tree in time.
A new chapter begins…bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bloo & sons!
Nothing better than having your own land to hunt on. Plant what you want!
No more getting things like you want them & next the place gets sold out from under you. Best of luck. There is somthing Special about hunting with your children, makes the memories all the sweeter!!!
B/T

This happened to us and we asked the old owner to introduce us to the new owner. We still hunt the same farm which we are very happy about as we have hunted there fro 20 years.

Pete

F5AE3B7A-410D-4C80-8464-2D7E6B3D60A3.jpeg
Hey everybody!
Opening day in West by God came and went..this was the only buck I was able to come across. I passed on him as he was just too .. dead! But he didn’t try to escape…
We hunted daylight to dark, only spotting some doe bedded at midday. Bucks were holed up somewhere we were not. Nights are still active but daylight takes the bucks to safe havens.
Tomorrow is a new day..
In the meantime..how about
Vintage Sako’s leaning against Trees!
82B9752D-1E1E-4837-80E2-11B6058262EC.jpeg

Bloo

My HuntWise app says these are your best hunting days coming up:

03c0a7e3940ca876788cc44f260bc308.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t know if I’d agree with today’s forecast..same as yesterday for us.
It’s a good thing tho really. We don’t want it to be easy .. I still enjoy the hunt over the harvest…until the last day!
Bloo

I am really enjoying everyone`s pictures and stories. Within the last twenty minutes, a half grown ferel hog ran across my front yard about 100 yards from my house. Not enough time for me to get out a Sako.
Spaher can you describe what kind of roughage and how it is processed;
that your deer are eating. Wayne

7CC498B8-09EF-4570-8940-56AE998F04B3.jpeg BB57E004-1214-4631-BD98-6A2444F914F6.jpeg 9C67392D-406D-435E-B101-62E280455401.jpeg Wayne, for last 20+ years we feed whole cottonseed, dairy quality. This is what many dairies have used as it has high fat content for lactation. We buy it in loose bulk as in photo & require testing for aflatoxin to avoid any issues, especially if it comes from an area that has seen lots of moisture & we test for protein content as that can vary as well. The better protein content we have experienced over the last 5 years varies between 16%-20%. We have rejected loads in the 9-10%range as not serving our purposes.
Why? Well me make sure to put it out (via shoveling) in late December to help the bucks put fat back on for they’ve lost 35-45lbs & very hungry post-rut. If they are back in shape in 30+ days it helps with January/February cold by putting fat back on & the healthier they are, generally speaking they shed their antlers later. I believe antlers shedding has a lot to do with body condition& overall heath if a deer & we see mature bucks shedding antlers in April & a few in early May. But, the real benefit is that when fawning & before the fawns are weened, the doe udders are the size of catchers mitts, the dairy effect as the fawns get bigger, faster.
We put a custom mineral mix when we put it out, about a large coffe can amount and contains plenty of salt content as an inhibitor, withcopper, selenium, calcium, etc., but not much protein content or grain to prevent any mold if it gets wet. Cottonseed repels rain and is not affected if put in the elements. Another upside is hogs do not eat it. We buy it through brokers or from gins but always require testing of each load which costs about $25.
The delivery system is inexpensive, a 5 ft high V-mesh horse wire x 6 foot long tied with hog rings in a cylinder shape & just tossed over a single T-post (not tied so ring can move & cottonseed shift). Some have said that Gossypol is a factor & can cause infertility in bulls, but I differ & point to our 80% -100+% (twin fawnstake it over 100%) consistently. Our fawn crop/survival rate reflects good doe body condition, predator control, & a reasonable deer population gauged on rain& habitat condition for a given year. So we plan for the worst & hope no decline in shape. The infertility has been tested in cattle but the cake rather than raw cottonseed & amount consumed is the issue in my opinion. Hence the mineral with salt as an inhibitor to not have any animal “overeat” but the consumption is merely a supplement to help them through hard times especially hard winters. There are no magic or silver bullets but rather help when you can, be tough on the population nos., & let them get old. It’s not done in a couple of years but sure is fun predicting what you expect & want to then see it developing. That’s my take on what & why we do it.
Shoot Straight!

Last edited:
Spaher, great info and interesting! Are you all afflicted with blue tongue/ EHD down there? We've had it bad up here with the drought. Pic added because...

20211120_162226.jpg

Gowyo, past serum studies in the 1990’ have shown that about 84% have antibodies to blue tongue and EHD and although there have been a few cases in the past, it is not an issue in S Tx. Droughts are bad where it does exist as muddy areas are prone to biting midgeons & gnats which transmit these diseases as deer try to cool off & seek water.
Like your Mannlicher, caliber?

Afield as intended with the A III on the evening watch.
No game was spotted however it was great being out there!
Good luck to all those afield.

Attachments

• E149BB88-8293-4A21-B613-B1947E439D72.jpeg
    E149BB88-8293-4A21-B613-B1947E439D72.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 16
Great Educating story Mr. Spaher!
There is a saying "The Teacher arrives, when the student is Ready!! I wish the folks in our area were capable of understanding. Like any resource, the Deer population MUST Be Managed. Every hunter wants to take a big buck! The does abound, young deer are killed before reaching their potential.
They suppose quality deer will come from other places during the rut! I hunted with a group that shot quail down to the last bird in the covey. Then wondered why no birds were in that area next season. Cautioning them to leave 6-8 was like talking to the trees. Sadly many young hunters are more concerned with numbers than quality. If I didn't live in Georgia, I would want to live in Texas!
Game management has a home in Texas & the people care "long term". I guess I am preaching to the
choir, but they are the only ones that will listen!!! Besides who wants to listen to an OLD man!!
B/T

B/T.
Right on. Maybe when they get older, they will understand what we are trying to tell them. When they are old enough to see the decline that us older folks have seen, maybe they will wake up. But by then it may be too late. How many species do we have to see disappear into extinction before the human race wakes up?
Sakojim.

Back