• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

I want a 223! help

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Tesoro

Hello I am new here, I had a nice Sako back in the 70's but none since. I need a normal weight non-varmint contour 223 for an all around plinking and coyote gun. I have about a 2k budget for the rifle and dont seem to find anything in new production that has a field contour barrel. And the only one I can find on the internet is a cherry A1 but hard to tell what it really is and if has been messed with on a non-returnable purchase. Any suggestions? My 22 is an Anschutz 1416 with field barrel and my big game rifle is a Sauer 200 in 270w so it would be nice to have a finnish varmint gun to round things off!

Try the Florence Gun Shop in Florence Oregon. Recently they had a pristine Sako AI sporter weight rifle in .223. Cannot recall the exact price but I saw it personally. If I didn’t already have a couple of L461’s in.223, I’d have picked it up for myself. Give them a call, it just up 101 a few hours. Good luck.

ahah! know it well. The original owner always had some quality firearms and sold at fair price. The new kid who bought the shop I dont know much about but not the same atmosphere as before. I will call in the am thx. I am 3 hrs to the south so could drive up no problem E23EF710-2DBF-48E9-9E71-BE7DAE0BF0E4.jpeg . I found this one on the internet at a gunshop in Kentucky but I have no idea what it is worth. I dont expect to get a deal but just fmv for a real clean gun. Say it is an A1 and bid starts at 1300.

ahah! know it well. The original owner always had some quality firearms and sold at fair price. The new kid who bought the shop I dont know much about but not the same atmosphere as before. I will call in the am thx. I am 3 hrs to the south so could drive up no problemView attachment 24728 . I found this one on the internet at a gunshop in Kentucky but I have no idea what it is worth. I dont expect to get a deal but just fmv for a real clean gun. Say it is an A1 and bid starts at 1300.
Any high condition .223 Deluxe (A1 or L461) in an auction format is likely to bring a number well north of $1300. It looks good, but the one photo is difficult to properly evaluate. Not sure what other data and photos are available . The Florence standard rifle was pretty minty, can’t say for sure but thought it was $1300-1400 ish, which is pretty typical.

Last edited:
I found this one which appears to be in good all around shape. minor pitting by barrel tip but I want a shooter/truck gun not a showpiece. I prefer the simple hunter stock and for some reason, even when I was a kid, the deluxe diamond basketweave checkering was a bit of a turnoff to me. I think this s/n puts it at early A1 L461 before the rear of receiver was changed with a conical something? but I havent figured out what that is supposed to look like.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100830540

I found this one which appears to be in good all around shape. minor pitting by barrel tip but I want a shooter/truck gun not a showpiece. I prefer the simple hunter stock and for some reason, even when I was a kid, the deluxe diamond basketweave checkering was a bit of a turnoff to me. I think this s/n puts it at early A1 L461 before the rear of receiver was changed with a conical something? but I havent figured out what that is supposed to look like.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100830540
I inquired about this A1 rifle two months ago as did another member. It’s somewhere in the abyss, and they haven’t removed it from the website. Also it was a heavy barrel. .223 sporter weight rifles are few and far between.

And as Bloo has suggested a triple deuce sporter will be easier to locate, and won’t be as pricey. The trade off is the availability of factory ammunition, .223 is typically plentiful, available in many offerings, and cheap. Unfortunately.222 isn’t - and at this point in time components are scarce.

I inquired about this A1 rifle two months ago as did another member. It’s somewhere in the abyss, and they haven’t removed it from the website. Also it was a heavy barrel. .223 sporter weight rifles are few and far between.

And as Bloo has suggested a triple deuce sporter will be easier to locate, and won’t be as pricey. The trade off is the availability of factory ammunition, .223 is typically plentiful, available in many offerings, and cheap. Unfortunately.222 isn’t - and at this point in time components are scarce.
I agree with Bigcountry that you will have a larger selection of Sakos available to you in .222 and that in ballistic terms that one will do what the other will. If you are a handloader you can make .222 brass from the abundant .223 once-fired cases without much trouble. All of the other components are interchangeable between the two.

Good morning! that figures on the Cabelas one. I didnt notice the bbl contour. Heavy is out of the picture. Ref the 222 recommend I need to explain: 3 years ago I moved to the South Oregon coast and I had a dozen large unpacked action packers in my shop full of my reloading equip. I had everything known to man and it was all top end made in USA precision gear to the tune of an easy 10 grand in equip and components at 2015 era pricing. But the lure of the Sea, an ocean boat and the fear of rust on my precious tools overcame my shooting craze. So I sold off all my gear on accurate shooter and other sites and converted it to salmon, halibut, tuna, gear and related goodies! I figured I would just buy and stockpile decent ammo when the shooting bug re-emerged. Now that it has I cant get decent ammo at a decent price! I didnt time that one very well! And I cant buy components that make it cheaper to shoot. So I sold off my non-standard cartridge rifles and am now looking at a smaller battery of high end practical rifles to serve my purposes. Thus 270win Sauer 200 for deer,bear,elk, which I can shoot for 1.25 to 2.00 a pop. And I would shoot prob 500-1000 rds in the field per year to stay in shape. And for truck gun and high desert varmints I need a 223 as I can shoot 30c a pop russian steel coated ammo that does a moa and then 85c Hornady varmint ammo. A 222, as attractive as it is, is 1.50 to 2.00 a pop for factory ammo. I would probably go thru 1500 rds a year in small caliber so the cost diff adds up, as well as availability issues.
The one assumption I am making is that I can feed a constant diet of nato pressure 556 in a L461 action. From what I have read the Euro gun makers spec their 223 chambers for the higher pressures.
I dont anticipate this ammo crisis we have to ease in the future. I considered buying a 308 instead of .270 but on analysis I found that the 308 is hoarded and also used up for range work whereas the 270 and '06 are neither and always produced at more moderate pricing. Sorry for the book but only way to explain. I love the 222 but not quite as much as my old 20 Practical.

Thanks to BigCountry4me I bought a beauty today. Emergency is over! 223 sporter a1 170xxx. Safe queen fm estate. Supposedly unfired. E6A9FE1A-CD7C-43F0-8E6D-AFFDE3F4341D.jpeg

Tesoro. I do hope that you don't do this, but its your money to waste if you do. I quote your previous statement: (I want a shooter/truck gun not a showpiece.) Sakojim.

Sorry but will be with me all the time and shoot alot!! Yup it will get some scratches and dings and blood on it over time! But they will be all my marks! Not saying I wont do my best to take care of it but when you use it as intended it gets worn! I bought it for the quality, craftsmanship and expected accuracy. Only unknown is twist but assume it will stabilize 50-55gr.

Last edited:
Ps I noticed my one has a more intricate fore end checkering than all the a1’s I have seen pics of. Anyone know what this is ?

Thanks to BigCountry4me I bought a beauty today. Emergency is over! 223 sporter a1 170xxx. Safe queen fm estate. Supposedly unfired.View attachment 24751
Glad the rifle was still available and it worked out for you. Should be an absolute tack driver. Some folks refer to the forearm checkering pattern as sort of a herringbone, as the two ends resemble such.

Thanks again! waiting for Leupold to open and hopefully they have a set of 1 in. med rings in stock. They are not exactly abundant anywhere else. If they dont have is there a second brand choice you could recommend?

Last edited:
Thanks again! waiting for Leupold to open and hopefully they have a set of 1 in. med rings in stock. They are not exactly abundant anywhere else. If they dont have is there a second brand choice you could recommend?
Frankly, I’d consider using the ringmounts that it came with first. They are as good as it gets provided they are high enough for your optic. Leupold would be the next best option in my opinion. Your very limited regarding other choices. Most companies which made ringmounts for Sako don’t anymore. eBay may have some older offerings. Sako makes Optilock ringmounts but frankly and personally I wouldn’t use these. They are rather expensive and heavy. It was nice talking to you last evening. Best…

Good point. I have an avail scope laying around for it which is a 2-7x36 Kahles. Leaning to this kahles for all around so maybe it will work with the factory rings as its only 36mm. And then find a fixed power 12x or so for squeak and rock season.

The rings on the gun look like Sako Optilocks, which sit very high off of the receiver even in the "low" model. Your 36mm objective scope (if it is 1" and not 26mm) will sit much higher than is desirable with those rings.

Either a set of Leupold medium ringmounts or a set of original medium Sako ringmouts would be a better match in my opinion.

By the way, what I call the "herringbone" pattern on the fore end checkering is unique to a short period during the A-series production. I like it, but some others don't. It's a matter of taste.

I like it! thx for the tip. I'll order a set of leups this am and can always return if not needed. Yes I have a I inch tube. Heres a better pic showing the ring height IMG_5564 2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back