• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

S20 ammo suggestions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I just shot my newly purchased S20 in 7mm Rem Mag. with less than desirable results. I was shooting Hornady Hunter Precision 162 factory bullets and I have a Leupold VX5 3-15x scope so not a cheap scope. According to the website there is no break in required for a Cold Hammer Forged barrel but my friends tell me otherwise. So not sure if it just doesn't like these bullets or what. The height of the impact was pretty consistent but L and R would be significantly variable by maybe 2". Meaning I'd move it R one click (rated as 1/4" @ 100 yds) and it'd jump 2 " then I'd move it back 1 click and it'd move over an inch. I'm hoping it just needs to be shot more to settle in as the reviews all seem to indicate very good accuracy but mine was actually dissappointing. I'm not giving up hope but looking for anyone else that shoots this gun to see what factory bullets they've used with good results. Any suggestions greatly appreciated......not that I'm very likely to find bullets as I've been looking for 4 months and come up with zero available anywhere.

Your rifle and scope set up sounds more than efficient as long as the scope mounts are true and solid. I have never had hands on the S 20 but Sako seems to feel it a worthy offering. That being said I would think it should shoot well with a variety of ammo.
Try shooting at least two or three round groups before fine tuning the scope . One shot adjustments will have you chasing holes everywhere.
I have never felt the need to break in a new barrel by doing anything more than shooting it and then cleaning it when I was done shooting it.
Check your mounts, pay attention to form and bench set up…most of my accuracy problems have turned out to be something I was doing , not what the gun was doing..

bloo

An old-timer's trick with scopes is to adjust a click or two past where you want it, then go back to the desired position. The reason for this is that the insides of a scope may not function perfectly every time, and the past-and-back trick helps to be sure you're in the right place. Also, sometimes a scope adjustment doesn't land exactly where you want it and it takes the recoil from a shot or two for it to settle in. If you adjust a click that should be a quarter inch and it moves two inches, fire a couple more shots before trying another adjustment.

I don't think this is related, but Sako bores come dirty from the factory. They have had 2 proof loads and at least 5 normal shots through them and only oiled after. If the accuracy is not good try cleaning the bore with copper solvent and start from clean with your bullet of choice.

Here's another thought. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that the action screws have loosened up on the trip across the Atlantic. It's worth a check with a well-fitting gunsmith's screwdriver to make sure the two main screws are tight.

I can see (person view) a multitude of modern attributes in the S20 that would take some getting used to. The modular stock is attractive yet it is far from the traditional rifles I’ve shot most of my life. The vertical pistol grip being the most evident. The adjustability of the shoulder stock , length of pull, cheek weld, and so on. This kinda suggests that not only will you have scope adjustments to deal with , you may have to make subtle changes to how the gun actually fits you and reacts with you. Basically..if it feels different, it will probably shoot different.
The design of this rifle with its steel to aluminum rail bedding surfaces and stock choices, should be an excellent shooter once you’ve found the right fit and set up.
If things don’t come together with it , you can always have it airbrushed in colors of Zombie green and Bloodshed red , it will sell quickly and you can turn your money back around for something better. :)

Good luck and tight groups!

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks guys for your suggestions. I did mount the scope with Warne rings ($150ish) and used a torque wrench so I believe the scope should be solid. I'll definitely clean it good and try shooting again as I won the lottery today and found some more ammo....the same Hornady Precision Hunter ones I tried. I was hoping someone else has this gun and has had good groups with a particular factory bullet. I do have a friend that hand loads and he's offered to load some for me so I'll see what happens the next time out. I do appreciate the advice and will try those suggestions now that I have a few extra bullets.

Hey thanks guys for your suggestions. I did mount the scope with Warne rings ($150ish) and used a torque wrench so I believe the scope should be solid. I'll definitely clean it good and try shooting again as I won the lottery today and found some more ammo....the same Hornady Precision Hunter ones I tried. I was hoping someone else has this gun and has had good groups with a particular factory bullet. I do have a friend that hand loads and he's offered to load some for me so I'll see what happens the next time out. I do appreciate the advice and will try those suggestions now that I have a few extra bullets.
How someone else's gun shoots a particular bullet/load combination is completely irrelevant in determining how it will shoot in your rifle. The ONLY way to determine what round shoots the best in your rifle is to SHOOT it and see. You will not find the "magic" formula browsing the internet. Having a friend that can handload various bullets & powders opens many more options, especially with the current market limitations with factory ammo. Good luck! BTW, stop adjusting your scope after each round. Shoot a 3 shot group and adjust the "center "of the group to your intended zero, otherwise you will be "chasing bullet holes" endlessly.

Latest posts

Back