• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

No Chips in Vintage Sakos

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
There have always been lots of Sakos on sites like Gunbroker and Guns International that are priced above market and simply don't sell. I've seen some on the Gunbroker merry-go-round that show up week after week for months without a single bid. Almost the only ones to actually sell are those that start with a penny opening bid and no reserve. They sell, almost by definition, at market.

But it seems that in the last few months it's gotten even worse. The "real" market for Sakos has probably inched up a little, but would-be sellers are pricing used Sakos at multiples of the actual market. Why? What are they thinking? Does this practice just feed on itself and when someone sees an A-III standard 7mm Rem priced at $1,750 do they just assume that theirs should bring this much and price it similarly?

New cars are scarce on dealer lots because the solid-state chips for their various control systems are in short supply, thus used cars have gone up commensurately. But there aren't any chips in a Sako (even the new ones) and the supply isn't in any way short. So what justifies absurd asking prices at which no item moves?

I'll admit that I'm a grumpy old man who shouts at the kids to get off his lawn and thinks that a cup of coffee should cost coins and not bills, but still, when an item doesn't sell at auction because the starting price is too high, then something is out of whack.

Well stated Stone
Since my introduction to Sako firearms, I’ve noticed a growth in value of 7-10 % per year. Based on the average prices paid along with some of our reference values publishers ( Bluebook, GunTraders..etc.)
The past couple of years these prices have skyrocketed to what we often see now.
I also have to realize that the numbers of interested parties has grown, for instance, our membership here. We here need to understand our own effects on the market are becoming more and more influential.
Think about that!

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Elections have consequences,I hope we can survive this delema. Sako rifles are a value because they are well made, deliver on accuracy are beautiful and hold their value due to their well earned reputation. Also there are not many older models available, and that is where the value is.

Yep, notice I didn't mention 50% gas price increase.

I won't be selling any guns.

Gary

Everything gun related seems to be over priced. It’s the pandemic and George Floyd and the Zombies.
2892e1fb673bf85fd2f779381ba91195.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8x7000=56000 grains÷ 450.00 = 124 grains/1$,
Plus .45/ primer, plus .50- 1.00 bullet. Brass- .30-1.00 per when new.
Reloading still saves money, right?

Sure, there is plenty of pandemic/quasi-political pricing going on, but my point is that while there has always been a large percentage of Sakos offered on Gunbroker that never get a bid (or don't reach the reserve), that percentage has grown considerably in the last few months. Even though the market price at which Sakos trade has risen to some extent, more are priced above market and fewer are actually changing hands. That is a strange phenomenon which will almost certainly self-correct, either by Sakos rising to the asking prices or asking prices falling to the more realistic market level.

I’ve noticed that, too. Maybe they see the prices of Custom Shop and think they can get it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BD, the Custom Shop, incl Bespoke can be distinguished by the near impossible to find quality of the wood offered, up to exhibition grade. This quality of wood stocks alone, if available, have values in the thousands of dollars and the finish details from pads to inletting, etc avert the risk of letting indivs that are less than meticulous in their work (great wood ruined by crappy work in checkering &/or fit). Overpriced is relative as there should be no expectation of return on cost but perhaps the pride & enjoyment in field use of an exceptional example of Sako that in the future may continue to be shared with another. The caliber can be a factor as well.
My general opinion.

I certainly agree with Spaher that "special" rifles with extraordinary wood, scarce calibers, etc. can and should bring prices well above the market for run-of-the-mill hunting rifles. But someone who prices their late A-V .30-06 with its dull coat of faux oil covering up what little grain there might have been in the plain Jane wood as if it were a Deluxe 7x64 with knock-your-eyes-out wood simply isn't dealing with reality. The plain A-V .30-06 is a fine hunting rifle that any hunter would be happy to own, but the market for it isn't in the thousands.

& then there are limits as I would not spend a plug nickel buying from some “angry” unpleasant outfits attempts at manipulating prices to reset their hoard value.
We all probably have an interest in some model or caliber motivating our interests but there are parameters in these choices.

Maybe it will increase the value of all of our collections? Might not be a bad thing?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906156912

Here is a typical example of a Sako on Gunbroker which is priced about twice its market value. It is a non-Bofors heavy barrel .243 in nice condition with one factory scope ring inexplicably turned backward (presumably that can be fixed). But no one is going to pay $2,500 for it, so why is it taking up cyber space?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong about its value? What say you, friends of Sako? What dollar value would you expect this rifle to trade at?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906156912

Here is a typical example of a Sako on Gunbroker which is priced about twice its market value. It is a non-Bofors heavy barrel .243 in nice condition with one factory scope ring inexplicably turned backward (presumably that can be fixed). But no one is going to pay $2,500 for it, so why is it taking up cyber space?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong about its value? What say you, friends of Sako? What dollar value would you expect this rifle to trade at?
And at a pawnshop no less. I believe the person listing this rifle must be looking at other ridiculous adds for similar Sako rifles, then posting accordingly, rather than doing some advisable research.

Recently I’ve purchased two L579’s in .243. Both Bofors rifles. One very fine, one minty. Both were purchased well south of $1000. So I don’t profess to understand the starting or buy now pricing on Gunbroker or guns International. What blows my mind is when these rifles sit for weeks and months why folks don’t bother to figure out why.

Attachments

• DA651C4A-4FC5-401E-AE54-8CB7046DF17F.jpeg
    DA651C4A-4FC5-401E-AE54-8CB7046DF17F.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 06B99E6E-60E7-43FC-9222-021C83E661A4.jpeg
    06B99E6E-60E7-43FC-9222-021C83E661A4.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
When I see sling swivels hacked off or replaced, that's a major turnoff. Sako ring on backwards- I wonder what else is wrong. Biggest negative thing is a heavy barrel 243. Unless it is minty, marked Bofors, forget it.

About 5 years ago I was at a great falls, mt gun show. An elderly lady had a table, selling her late husbands things. There were 2 minty bofors marked sakos, a 222 and a 243 heavy. I don't even like 243s, but I couldn't let go of the heavy barrel because of the condition. I paid too much, I felt, at 1200$. She would not budge a nickel. Came with a leupold scope, sako rings. And a nice case.

Heavy Barrel Rifles are a select category..those who have interest in them and the reasons why they do are the ones that drive that category and persuade the value . Same with De Lux rifles..or more so..Safari rifles..each category has its own set of attributes.
Gun buyers want to buy guns for less, Gun Dealers want to sell guns for more. This is why we have price guides and resources to evaluate, or to devaluate, depending on condition and rarity.
Gun traders, collectors, shooters and even common thieves know guns have value, each manipulate or effect the market in one way or the other.
Inflation of course factors in, as the cost of living climbs ever higher.
Prices between friends are lower, while prices between strangers may not be.
Sako rifles with use or various forms of molestation, should be devalued accordingly, but may not be, simply because the buyer did not see or realize it was there, and seller did not make it known. The profit margin is directly proportional to this as well as the rise in long term value.
When Sako swivels are missing, I see that, but some won’t. When Sako swivels are wide when they should be narrow? Who sees that?
When they are refinished?
When Bubba put it back together wrong?
It goes on forever…..

So could I…

Caveat emptor!

“A gun is only worth what the individual who wants it is willing to pay”

bloo

Back