• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Should I build this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14372
  • Start date

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

D

Deleted member 14372

Wondering if the current production 85s will hold their value (or increase) given their current reputation? Here is what it will look like per Sako website customizer tool. $3,700. This is in 6.5x55 w a single set trigger.

c14f6598f0c3526b7aa5b8938813e9f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts?

I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole!
Why spend all that on a new factory production model when you could buy two or even three vintage rifles that are already gaining value.
You can spend that kinda money at the Remington Custom Shop, and still not have much more gun.
I don’t do current production rifles, just my personal preference.

bloo

Thanks. So that is one “no” vote. Any “Ays?”

If you want to invest $3700 in a rifle such as your example then cool. But only do it if you really want one.

Value and value gains can only be determined by several factors (time, rarity, market and other factors). Look hard at other brands regarding value, and why value increases.

In my opinion real collectors are somewhat a dying breed. The next generation for the most part could care less about any wood and blue specimens, and most likely would never spend the money you might ask. I’d actually speculate the value regarding the rifle shown would actually drop on its own merits. I just don’t see folks lined up to get one….

There are simply way better options out there IMHO. For the same or perhaps less money you could buy a Cooper or even a beautiful (second hand) Dakota, or as Hippie has suggested, you could buy up to three vintage Sakos or even a grail Sako of some sort. Sorry a no vote, respectfully of course.

If it's something You want, then go for it whatever the reason. It's no different than buying a custom hot rod or going on a spaceship ride if your pockets are deep enough. If you're waiting on our votes to make your decision, heck no, don't buy it. I wouldn't buy it, because its not something I want. But I foolishly spend lots of money on other items that defy all logic, like a boat when I lived in Odessa, TX (a desert).

If it's something You want, then go for it whatever the reason. It's no different than buying a custom hot rod or going on a spaceship ride if your pockets are deep enough. If you're waiting on our votes to make your decision, heck no, don't buy it. I wouldn't buy it, because its not something I want. But I foolishly spend lots of money on other items that defy all logic, like a boat when I lived in Odessa, TX (a desert).
You won't have to hand in your "man card" any time soon.

I'm with D2. It is impossible to know which guns will appreciate faster than inflation -- and the ones you might own that do are the ones you wouldn't consider selling, anyway. So you should buy what you can afford and whatever it is that you would rather have than the money it costs.

If you want to speculate buy some Bitcoins. If you want to enjoy your money buy a gun from a custom shop.

Page from 1979 Gun Digest. Prices are up 5x!
2508cd80989d87ce4408c895fd9a667d.jpg

I think I you can do it BD!
76784BA8-9054-4A44-9EAA-EB7D05D86200.jpeg

Here .. I made you a transfer for a T-Shirt! For your birthday!
It will be an awesome addition to any old codjers wardrobe!
bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll wear it with pride! Thank you!

Since 85's are still made out of actual metal and real wood I think they will hold their value fairly well. If they increase in value in 50 or so yeas remains to be seen. Classically styled models in mint condition most likely. Polymer stocks with the soft touch coating turning to mush maybe not so much.

~$1000 price hike for a better wood would be too much for me.

Thank you. Good to hear from Finland on this.

Back