• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Interesting H&R rifle on GB

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Other than H&R buying out O'Brian & his inventory I'm not sure why the seller mentioned his name. Any O'Brian built rifles that H&R sold had the O'Brian stampings "X" over, which this one does not. Why the word "custom" is used is another mystery, as it is clearly an H&R made production rifle. Why Weatherby 22 is in the description is another unknown as Weatherby had nothing to do with this rifle & it is chambered in 17/223, not in any 22 caliber. IIRC, H&R had a guy named Hultgren (sp?) engrave the stocks. I think this is just another case of the seller not knowing what he has & is just spewing BS.

BlownHip....:) :)

H&R bought The O'Brien Rifle Co.(including it's leftover parts/assemblies) in the summer of 1967. I have the contract.

The rest is history....as they say.

As for the GB auction......let's just say there are portions of his "War and Peace" docu-ad that I think are inaccurate.

Here's one of my 317P rifles....a 223.
317-P-223.jpg

Yeah..I was reading it but fell asleep about halfway thru

my hip is fine…but my feet hurt…your feet ever hurt?

Bloo ., the old hippie

The O’Brianfan just pumped up the volume … the reserve still stands!
It is a cute little mosquito rifle!

bloo

Yeah..I was reading it but fell asleep about halfway thru

my hip is fine…but my feet hurt…your feet ever hurt?

Bloo ., the old hippie

Bloo......

My hip???.....pulled something from my left knee to the left middle of my back yesterday......thank the Lord for Tramadol!!
As for my "feet".......if you only knew...:(

Another 317P......a 17-223
317-P-17-223.jpg

Some sellers feel compelled to tell the potential buyer more than the seller knows. This is counter-productive since (a) you're not going to entice someone who is not already a collector/enthusiast of a particular line of firearms into buying something they're not familiar with, and (b) saying things that sound good but are known to be inaccurate by enthusiasts of the firearm you're trying to sell is just off-putting to your most likely buyers.

The best and most effective descriptions of a highly desirable rifle rifle read something like this fictitious example: Sako L46 Mannlicher in .218 Bee, serial number 7778. Original except for missing sight hood. Bore is excellent and detailed pictures show condition. Note the small patch the size of a pencil eraser of missing bluing from probable blood spot on LH side of barrel just behind the front sight. If you're reading this you know what this is, so bid accordingly.

Dang! That’s definitely gonna put your hip in the middle of things!

“what a drag .. it is .. getting old” …Rolling Stones 1966

Stone..I’d go $1750 for that one! Pm me!!!:D
You better double that offer if you expect to be in the running for even an imaginary .218 Bee Mannlicher!

But you may want to bid on my next imaginary offering which will be an L61R 8,2x57 Deluxe with the rare Marilyn Monroe blown-up skirt engraved floorplate, serial number 007, once owned by Sean Connery.

I forgot to mention that the Deluxe 8,2x57 is not in mint condition. It has a fang mark from when a trophy lion mauled Clark Gable, its original owner. He was filming "Mogambo" at the time. However, the Marilyn Monroe floorplate is pristine, even though the rendering is stylized in the Finnish mode -- meaning that the skirt is shown higher than in the original scene. Do I hear an opening bid of $10,000?

Please specify if the Marilyn Monroe floorplate is a frontal, rear or side profile as this would help on aging & determine resale value of this priceless and “angry”firearm…

I dunno guys..I think it’s a fake. The original Scandi version would not require any clothing or mechanical air flow.
..I’m out

bloo

Other than H&R buying out O'Brian & his inventory I'm not sure why the seller mentioned his name. Any O'Brian built rifles that H&R sold had the O'Brian stampings "X" over, which this one does not. Why the word "custom" is used is another mystery, as it is clearly an H&R made production rifle. Why Weatherby 22 is in the description is another unknown as Weatherby had nothing to do with this rifle & it is chambered in 17/223, not in any 22 caliber. IIRC, H&R had a guy named Hultgren (sp?) engrave the stocks. I think this is just another case of the seller not knowing what he has & is just spewing BS.

Hawkeye.......

To my knowledge H&R did not sell any of O'Brien's parts/assemblies they "inherited".......except at the infamous "The Auction" on their shipping dock, at their original closing.

I believe H&R "X'ed" out their own identifying roll marks when they sold excess/discontinued barrelled actions to Brazas Sporting Arms, in the late 1970's( I use to have one of their old Shotgun News ads).
I personally have(had two, but sold one) a NIB(Sako factory box) L579 round-top barrelled action in cal.243.......that has all of the H&R info X'ed out.
There's at least one pic, on the interweb, showing an example of their Xing.

Here's a pic of one of my "The Auction" H&R's.....an O'Brien Rifle Co. 17MachIV barrelled action, in an uncheckered H&R317 stock with H&R rifle pad. The guy I bought it from, via Gun List ad, had FIVE of them at the time.
No "Xing".
317-17-Mach-IV.jpg

Last edited:
Hawkeye.......

To my knowledge H&R did not sell any of O'Brien's parts/assemblies they "inherited".......except at the infamous "The Auction" on their shipping dock, at their original closing.

I believe H&R "X'ed" out their own identifying roll marks when they sold excess/discontinued barrelled actions to Brasas Sporting Arms, in the late 1970's( I use to have one of their old Shotgun News ads).
I personally have(had two, but sold one) a NIB(Sako factory box) L579 round-top barrelled action in cal.243.......that has all of the H&R info X'ed out.
There's at least one pic, on the interweb, showing an example of their Xing.

Here's a pic of one of my "The Auction" H&R's.....an O'Brien Rifle Co. 17MachIV barrelled action, in an uncheckered H&R317 stock with H&R rifle pad. The guy I bought it from, via Gun List ad, had FIVE of them at the time.
No "Xing".
317-17-Mach-IV.jpg

Thanks for the correction! I confused myself about the X'd out roll markings being on the H&R sale with the O'Brien rifles. I think I'm getting "sometimers". Sometimes I remember it right, & to quote a famous Texan, sometimes I "misremember".

Back