• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

from the wilds of Wyoming...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello Mr. Thompson
Jams in what way?
First thing that enters my mind is the possibility you’re shooting hand loads, the Finnwolf is a very finicky hound when it comes to reloads.

bloo

Craig sorry to hear of your issue. When you say it jams - can you tell if it is an extraction issue or feeding issue? You can try Bloo's suggestion of using factory loads to see if that resolves the issue. If not ensure the chamber is as clean as you can get it, the other things are related to the mag - follower spring or lips of the mag needing adjustment. You could try taking mag out amd hand feed 1 shell at a time just to ensure no issue with extraction.

Wow!1 Thanks Bloo and Marlin 92 for the prompt replies and concern!
The extractor works fine. I am shooting factory Remington cartridges.
It's a feeding issue. I have tried three factory ( I think) clips. Same issue each time.
The cartridge feeding from the clip jams in the chamber... as if it is too long or the feed angle is not right.
I will try cleaning it again.
sure want to get this fixed before Oct 1....Mule Deer Season!

Craig is the barrel factory or replacement? Can you post a picture of the bottom of the mag well so we can see what the wood around it looks like and also the mags you are using.
Have you removed the stock from the action, if so do you know if the ferrule ( small hollow tube ) is in the hole where the rear action screw is? Also does the metal seem to fit flush around the bottom of the action? Also check tightness of the action screws to ensue not loose or over tightened.

Howdy Craig,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like the pros have your concerns in hand. I'm no help as I've never owned a 63. Good luck...what part of WY are you in? I'm in Casper.

Gary

Craig is the barrel factory or replacement? Can you post a picture of the bottom of the mag well so we can see what the wood around it looks like and also the mags you are using.
Have you removed the stock from the action, if so do you know if the ferrule ( small hollow tube ) is in the hole where the rear action screw is? Also does the metal seem to fit flush around the bottom of the action? Also check tightness of the action screws to ensue not loose or over tightened.
Howdy Craig,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like the pros have your concerns in hand. I'm no help as I've never owned a 63. Good luck...what part of WY are you in? I'm in Casper.

Gary
Howdy Craig,

Gary
I feel like such an amateur? How do I tell if the barrel is factory? It has 'Finnwolf' and 'Made in Finland' pressed into the barrel so I think it is factory.
I will post a picture soon. I will also remove the stock and make the checks you prescribe. I am waiting for a reprint of the manual.
Thanks so much!
I'm in Rock Springs.

After trying 3 different magazines, I would think it has to be a problem between the stock and its bedding and a difference in elevation to the action. The feed ramp and side flanges of the magazine are possibly too low for some reason.
I’ve had two 63’s , in each caliber. Neither one had feed problems but hated handloads. My troubles were extraction issues. If your ammo feeds well into the magazine, it should be of proper length to dance into the chamber. I believe it’s a push-feed operation. I never had my 63’s apart so I’m no real help.
Does it cycle .. or at least close on a round if hand loaded into the ejection port? With magazine in place , Single round at a time?

photos would really help…some

bloo

Bloo the reason I wanted pictured of the mag well and mags was to Make sure no one messed with the stock so they could use different mags in it. If they havent then I agree it is likely to be in the fit of the action

The Finnwolfs like other Sakos sometime have shims - so when taking the stock off the action it important to note the position of the shims to ensure they are put back in the proper place.

Last edited:
Bloo don't sell yourself short electricians are good and smart people. My dad was one and taught me and my brothers just about everything about electricity, been zapped a few times but nothing fatal LOL

Thanks
Yeah, I’ve been zapped more than I wanted to be. Good electrical workers are easy to find because they’re all still alive. Bad electrical workers don’t have very long life spans…if they live , they have new careers.

bloo

I feel like such an amateur? How do I tell if the barrel is factory? It has 'Finnwolf' and 'Made in Finland' pressed into the barrel so I think it is factory.
I will post a picture soon. I will also remove the stock and make the checks you prescribe. I am waiting for a reprint of the manual.
Thanks so much!
I'm in Rock Springs.
Craig- Just a bit of my knowledge concerning feeding problems with the FW. I had problems with some factory Remington cartridges at one time but that was an extraction issue. Loaded at the factory too hot. Bloo is on the right track but it may be that the rifle has a factory Sako barrel but one from an L579 or A2. Those caused some feeding issues when I was playing around making "rare" chambered Sakos years ago. You may try carefully bending the Magazine "lips" down to get better "feed". Or up and out if it doesn't interfere with the bolt's ease of movement. I am thinking it is in the removeable box mag but that is just my gut. Finnwolf's can make a fool out of anyone. ALSO BE VERY CAREFUL TO SUPPORT YOUR STOCK WHILE REMOVING THE BARRELLED ACTION. MOST OF THE BROKEN WRIST AREA VICTIMS WERE CAUSED BY POOR REMOVAL PRACTICES.

Sorry for the delay in responding.
I am uploading two photos ... one showing the two magazines that work and one that shows the receiver.
I am learning a lot from you fine folks. Thanks once again for helpful education.
One thing I learned is that I have one magazine that will not work because it appears that the cartridge body is out of alignment with the base.
So would it help if I loaded a photo of the receiver when it jams?
Thanks once again. I am humbled by your enthusiastic responses.
Craig

Attachments

• Finnwolf clips.jpg
    Finnwolf clips.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Finnwolf receiver.jpg
    Finnwolf receiver.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 17
Craig ok what you have is the earlier 4 shot Finnwolf and the 2 magazines you pictured are correct for the gun you have. Can you load s picture of the magazine that will not work, showing a side viee and also a top view. Sometimes the magazine body isn't properly peened to the bottom and will slide back and forth, if that is the case take a look at the other 2 and try to center it and peen it or possibly use some siper glue to nond it. The other more likely possibility is a bent or broken follower spring, provided the mag locks up properly. May want to verify that the follower is properly installed in the mag and someone didn't dismantle it re-inserting it backwards.,

Last edited:
Had a member sell me a decent Finnwolf with a spare (new in the package) mag a few years ago. The new mag looked exactly correct but it didn't fit the well and fell out. Being the tech genius I am, I took a nice substantial block of oak and sharply rapped the bottom of the mag while out of the rifle. It fit very nicely after that. In all seriousness, listen to what Marlin has said. I think he may be on to something.

Thanks
Yeah, I’ve been zapped more than I wanted to be. Good electrical workers are easy to find because they’re all still alive. Bad electrical workers don’t have very long life spans…if they live , they have new careers.

bloo
Just saw this and it reminded me of serving overseas in places where the wall current was 240v and safety standards were, shall we say, unusual... Anyway, I was staying in a US Embassy guest apartment in Mogadishu, Somalia in the early 1970's. It was my first night there, I went to turn on a table lamp - and got blasted across the room. You think you've been zapped with 120v, try 240. Internal short of some kind. I had words with the Admin officer the next morning. I got hit with 240v another time or two in my overseas career, but that was the first and worst.

Which, in turn, reminds me of a story a buddy of mine, who was the Admin officer at the US Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda told me. You know that old joke about the guy who goes looking for a gas leak with a lighted match? His handyman in Kigali did that with a gas stove. The oven blew up in his face and seared his eyebrows off. True story. Fortunately, he survived.

Icebear........I can relate....sorta...

On both of my trips, long ago, to Europe.....I carried a small voltage detector.
Rule #1: Never touch anything metallic, that's plugged into the wall..........without checking it.
Rule #2: See rule #1.

Never found any problems..........BUT.....I was in Germany and Belgium...........NOT Somalia. :)

Speaking of getting Zapped!
Just wait until electric cars take hold, with voltage systems from 48 to 300 volts DC! If you’ve ever been hit on a spark plug wire , multiply it by 100!
Wait till the high output tuners get started. The death rate will rise as the wrenches explode. It’s gonna be bad…
AC voltage is bad enough, but DC Voltage is way worse in terms of hazard and pain. Get yourself between the current and ground, especially across your body (say from right hand to left foot) , you will be part of that circuit, as will your internal organs. The heart will stop and within milliseconds, you start cooking inside.
Wrap those wrenches up thick in rubber tape Top Gun Guys!

bloo .. the happily retired hippie electrician

Latest posts

Back