• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

.222 Magnum Carbine at the Range (Crime Story, continued)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
In a previous post, I related the saga of a Sako L461 Mannlicher-style carbine in .222 Magnum that was stolen from my transfer FFL's shop before I could pick it up, then found and returned by BATF. Well, today I took it to the county range for a 100-yard workout and it is a winner!

Tried it first with some ancient 55 grain Remington soft points I had picked up at a gun show. First three-shot group measured 7/8". Then I switched to Nosler 50 grain Ballistic Tips. Three of those went into 3/4".

I'd say this one is a keeper. If you want to read the original "Crime Story," here's the link. https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/crime-story.16538/

I also brought along my L469 carbine in .222 Magnum. I hadn't fired it in about 20 years. First group with the 55-grain Remingtons was half an inch! Succeeding groups weren't as good; maybe something shifted or maybe I was just getting tired. Anyway it showed that the old carbine hadn't lost anything in 20 years in the gun safe.

The target from the L461:
Sako L461 Carbine 222 Mag 9-4-2021.jpg

Here are pics of the newly-acquired L461, with its 3-9x Leupold Compact.
222M-2.JPG 222M-3.JPG 222M-4.JPG 222M-5.JPG

And the L469, with a Leupold 4-12x AO. I wonder how many of these Sako made. It's pretty rare - this is the only one I've ever seen; I believe another forum member also has one.
L469-222 Mag 1.JPG L469-222 Mag 2.JPG L469-222 Mag 3.JPG L469-222 Mag 4.JPG

Pretty wood! On both rifles! Good shooting too!
I’ve never seen a L469 carbine before. It has the later attributes, bottom metal, two point forearm checkering patterns…sweet gun!
I used to own a L 461 Full length mannlicher in .222r. It shot a pretty steady half inch. It would also hold 8 rounds in the box magazine! Wouldn’t be too surprised to find yours will do the same.
Great shooting Icebear!

bloo

I'll say they certainly are keepers. Both very nice, and I love the color of the wood on the 469. If you got that 222 mag ammo recently, I need to come to your gun shows. I haven't seen any mag ammo at my shows in 3 or 4 years!

I haven't seen any mag ammo at my shows in 3 or 4 years!
In Texas? I'm surprised; I thought you could find anything at a gun show in Texas and Arizona was the desert. I see .222 Mag ammo about every third or fourth show, but most of it is badly overpriced. I got my last batch of 3 boxes of Remington a few weeks ago for 20 bucks a box, which I thought was reasonable. The ammo was ancient (matte green and red box) and one box was short a couple of rounds, but it shoots well in the carbine. I have to keep my four .222 Magnum Sakos fed, and I don't have time to reload at the moment. Remington is about all you ever see at a show; once in a while there's a box of Norma but prices for that are somewhere around the moon. I got the Nosler ammo from Midway - not cheap, but it's accurate.

I just looked at Midway for Nosler 222 mag. They are out of stock and are not taking any back orders, and their last selling price was $109.99 per box of 20. If they had it I wouldn't pay $109.....$50 or 60 maybe! Luckily I have 12 boxes of Remington in the green and yellow box, that I picked up in the 80's at an Albuquerque show. I don't remember what I paid for it but probably $10 or so per box.

I just looked at Midway for Nosler 222 mag. They are out of stock and are not taking any back orders, and their last selling price was $109.99 per box of 20. If they had it I wouldn't pay $109.....$50 or 60 maybe! Luckily I have 12 boxes of Remington in the green and yellow box, that I picked up in the 80's at an Albuquerque show. I don't remember what I paid for it but probably $10 or so per box.
Wow, you had me scared there for a minute. That $109.99 is for a box of 50, not 20. That's still high, presumably due to the all-around ammo shortage. Normal price is more like $79.99, and I would expect it to come back down in a few months as the demand for .223 and pistol ammo eases. I stocked up when it was on sale for about $65 a couple of years ago.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002022448?pid=936282

I've Googled around for .222 Mag ammo and found several small manufacturers advertising it at $25-35 per box of 20. This was before the current ammo shortage, so I don't know what the current status is for price and availability.

That's me not reading carefully to notice the $109 was for a box of 50. But with this latest shortage, ammo prices have been crazy and hard to keep up with and even harder to pay what they want.

dude, that L469 222mag is sweet!
trade ya??
Whaddya got? It better be good, I've been looking for a nice one of these for about ten years!

But since we are on opposite sides of the border, we're just pulling each other's leg anyway.

Latest posts

Back