• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions .222 Stamped over .223

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Wilk24

I recently purchased a very nice AI classic and on closer inspection it appears to be a .222 that has been stamped over to .223, I doubt this is a factory thing and that it was done at a later time.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210822_125918.jpg
    20210822_125918.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210817_062902.jpg
    20210817_062902.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 62
A previous owner had it rechambered to 223. Fairly easy & became common when the 223 won favor in the market place. I'm guessing the cheaper more readily available ammo was the motivation.

I recently purchased a very nice AI classic and on closer inspection it appears to be a .222 that has been stamped over to .223, I doubt this is a factory thing and that it was done at a later time.
Any thoughts?
Well I hope you weren’t miss lead. The chamber being re-cut is simply going to have an affect related to value. That’s just the facts. However, in its present condition it’s a shooter class rifle and always will be. I only hope you didn’t overpay based on the .223 caliber as they typically are scarcer. If you believe you were treated fairly regarding price and there were no other shenanigans then simply learn from this experience. It should be cheap (in normal times) and fun to shoot. Thanks

Thanks guys, ya thats exactly what I thought. I think I did pretty good on the price, fair enough for a shooter.

There is probably all kinds of variance, but it seems that the 3 usually used by Sako has a rounded top, not squared off.

But at least the quality of the restamping looks very good ... here is the other extreme (just a pic from the net)

upload_2021-8-22_14-19-42.png

And while I have never used it, I guess this website's factory records service could say for certain the original caliber for this serial number?

Hey thanks for the info, it had such awesome wood that I could not turn it down. I will maybe try the S/N thing.

That's a nice one. Looks like a "Classic" stock. If it is a Classic I don't think they were common in the small action.

Years ago I bought a 700 in 223 that had been rechambered from 222. It left a faint line around the brass where the 222 shoulder had been. Might have been a max or slightly oversize factory 222 chamber. Taking it back a thread would have likely cleaned it up.

Have you fired this one?

And while I have never used it, I guess this website's factory records service could say for certain the original caliber for this serial number?

The Factory Records we have don't go into the years your rifle was made. The rifle was factory chambered for 222 Rem, as the "3" is obviously stamped over the "2".

Yes I agree, it was always intended to be a shooter so I hope it shoots as good as it looks

Thanks

Latest posts

Back