• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New-to-me Sako AV in 25-06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

shinbone

Just came into a Sako AV in 25-06. I am a big fan of the 25-06, and thought a Sako in the caliber would be a nice combination.

This is my first AV, and I am quite impressed with the rifle. I really like the stock design over the earlier L61R rifles.

I've got some vintage Sako mounts inbound, and will try out some factory ammo once I get a scoped mounted.

Last edited:
That's a beauty. I'm closing in on completing my 'A' series bucket list. A 25-06 remains. Let us know how she shoots.

Super clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you taken her to the range? Is she a shooter? Any target pics? Have you found a good load? I have a .257 Roberts in a Ruger No. 1 that I'll be loading for soon. I want to shoot the 117 gr bullets. What are you shooting out of your 25-06?

Well . . .

On target performance is disappointing, to say the least. This is the best group from trying 6 different factory loads, and I have not been able to repeat it. Most loads shot in the 2+" range.

I am new to this game (shooting) but the more I learn the more I realize that accuracy from older rifles comes from hand loads. Unless you keep trying different brands and bullet weights. I went through many different bullets on my 1976 Ruger No 1 until I found one it liked. I am loading now and quickly got groups to shrink. Factory loads are seated too far from the lands.

Six different loads is a lot, though. What about heavier bullets?

Did you do the requisite tightening of the action screws? 30 years of safe wear can dry a stock, there might be some shrinkage.

1 MOA with 5 shots from a 25-06 sporter hunting rifle is outstanding. What's the problem? Looks like any of the first 4 shots landed within 1/2" of each other. Not knowing your shooting technique or how quickly you fired 5 shots make it pretty hard to determine if your group could be improved on, but a 5 shot group from a hunting rifle is kind of a waste of ammo. 3 shots would be the norm & the location of the first shot is all I would worry about anyway. It's not a bench rest rifle & you are not handloading, so I would be very happy with your rifles performance & feel comfortable about hunting with it. I tend to get better performance with heavy, for caliber, bullets. YMMV! Measure your first 3 shots & suddenly it's a "tack driver". You are over thinking it.

I will indeed be handloading for this rifle. Expecting to see some improvement when I do. She sure is a beaut, and I hope the improvement will be dramatic. I've got other guns in the "handloading que", but I'll post the results when I get to it.

1 MOA with 5 shots from a 25-06 sporter hunting rifle is outstanding

I have to agree.
I have a AV 25-06 that shoots similarly. I get better results from heavier bullets , but still have not found the handloading cocktail that gives me one hole performance, but as a hunting rifle, it is really all about the first hole…
3 round groups are best , especially with today’s prices!

No doubt this gun is beautiful, well made, and feels great in the hands. Sako rifles are vaunted for their out-of-the-box accuracy, and, that accuracy reputation is baked into the price. I am not seeing it with this 25-06, though. With Sakos, I would expect better than the "good enough for hunting" that Remington or Savage are made to.

We'll see how it does with some worked-up handloads. Hopefully, it will end up shooting as good as it looks.

Last edited:
No doubt this gun is beautiful, well made, and feels great in the hands. Sako rifles are vaunted for their out-of-the-box accuracy, and, that accuracy reputation is baked into the price. I am not seeing it with this 25-06, though. If I was happy with "good enough for hunting" then I would buy a Remington or a Savage.

We'll see how it does with some worked-up handloads. Hopefully, it will end up shooting as good as it looks.
Look at your first three shots again & tell me what you are "not seeing with it". Seems more & more shooters have an accuracy expectation level that is far beyond reality. Do you actually think that a production sporter rifle should put all it's shots in one hole? Sub-MOA accuracy with factory ammo is disappointing to you? What exactly does a "hunting" rifle need to do for you? Why do you think you should get "benchrest" accuracy from your AV? It wasn't built as benchrest rifle, quit trying to make it one. Trying some more current factory ammo may help you find something with better terminal performance, but getting a better group than those first three shots would be a pleasant surprise. You are complaining about an imaginary fault. Just my two cents.

Paulson - If your happy with 2+" groups from 6 different factory loads, with one non-repeatable 1", group, more power to you. My point is, 3-shot groups, 5-shot groups, slow fire, fast fire, light bullets, heavy bullets, such performance is what many factory rifles will shoot. I'm not seeing any accuracy advantage in this particular Sako.

Note: the numbers in the bullet holes is the order that the holes were marked in the target measuring software, not the order they were shot. I don't remember the order they were shot.

Last edited:
Paul - If your happy with 2+" groups from 6 different factory loads, with one non-repeatable 1", group, more power to you. My point is, 3-shot groups, 5-shot groups, slow fire, fast fire, light bullets, heavy bullets, such performance is what many factory rifles will shoot. I'm not seeing any accuracy advantage in this particular Sako.

Note: the numbers in the bullet holes is the order that the holes were marked in the target measuring software, not the order they were shot.
Why did you post the pic of an MOA group then? That's what I based my comments on, as I'm not good at reading minds. Never mind!!

I probably should have made the "Most loads shot in the 2+" range" statement more prominent.

Last edited:
Both of my 25-06 are finicky about grouping. A 3-lug L61r and a 75. The deer don't seem to notice though. 117gr federal is what they both like best

Got a Ruger m77 in 260 that will put 3 in a dime with corelokts. Paid $400 for it brand spankin new. Sorry, I don't get to talk about it much. The Ruger collectors club is a bore

Funny, I focused on the 2” comment and didn’t notice the software that shows 1”. I am always happy with 1”.

Anyway, what software is that? I’d like to try it.

Check the fit of the barrel in the barrel channel. There should be contact and slight upward pressure at the tip, and no unbalanced side contact. Wooden stocks can warp with age, and if you are getting side pressure on the barrel, you will not get consistent accuracy with any load. Not that I am NOT advising you to float the barrel - the gun wasn't designed that way, and floating a sportier weight barrel is a last-ditch move that may or may not work. The thing is to determine if there is side pressure, and if so, just clean up the offending area to even out the pressure on the barrel.

Back