• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Can anyone tell me how to tighten the forearm up to the barrel on my L61R 30-06 Sako rifle ? I can move the end of the forearm up towards the barrel approx. 1/8”. I don’t think that is normal ? I would appreciate any advice. Thank You

Shelton.
Check to see if the rear action bolt is smaller than the hole in the stock which it goes through. If it is an overly smaller diameter you may have a tubular spacer missing which would allow the
wood to be compressed and spread the front barrel channel away from the barrel.
Sakojim.

Try tightening the action screws.
I tried tightening the two screws under the trigger guard but it didn’t help. I’m not sure were the action screws are ? But I do have a Sako L61R diagram my wife printed off for me. I will look for the action screws and check those. Do You have any idea what inch torque they require ? Wouldn’t want to strip em. If they are loose maybe lock tight would be appropriate to. Thanks for Your advise Sir.

Shelton.
Check to see if the rear action bolt is smaller than the hole in the stock which it goes through. If it is an overly smaller diameter you may have a tubular spacer missing which would allow the
wood to be compressed and spread the front barrel channel away from the barrel.
Sakojim.
I’m not sure where the rear action bolt is ? But I have a diagram/parts list to look for that. If the spacer is missing, where can I get one ? Thank You Sakojim

Shelton.
You have two heavy screws which hold the action and barrel to the stock. I am referring to the one at the rear of the trigger guard.
They are rather heavy so maybe my mistake to call them bolts, since they have slotted, tapered and counter-sunk flush heads.
It is recommended that you use a ground screw driver to match the slot and do not over-tighten. Never use lock tight if you want to avoid future problems.
Sakojim.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to tighten the forearm up to the barrel on my L61R 30-06 Sako rifle ? I can move the end of the forearm up towards the barrel approx. 1/8”. I don’t think that is normal ? I would appreciate any advice. Thank You

If the tightening of the bolts doesn’t help you may be suffering from a case of shrinkage from old dried wood. You might be able to remedy your problem with the help of some shims. https://www.sakosource.com/scopes.html sells shims you might try, look in the miscellaneous parts section.

Shelton.
You have two heavy screws which hold the action and barrel to the stock. I am referring to the one at the rear of the trigger guard.
They are rather heavy so maybe my mistake to call them bolts, since they have slotted, tapered and counter-sunk flush heads.
It is recommended that you use a ground screw driver to match the slot and do not over-tighten. Never use lock tight if you want to avoid future problems.
Sakojim.
If the tightening of the bolts doesn’t help you may be suffering from a case of shrinkage from old dried wood. You might be able to remedy your problem with the help of some shims. https://www.sakosource.com/scopes.html sells shims you might try, look in the miscellaneous parts section.

Ksmith022,
Will definitely check that out. Yes wood that is
from the 1960’s is bound to have shrunk.
Thank You Sir for the advise.

Shelton.
Sakojim.
Sakojim,
I have tightened both of the flush screws on the trigger
guard with one of my hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers that fitted the slots correctly. They didn’t
really seem to be loose. I didn’t use lock tight either
per Your advise.
Thank You Sir

An eighth of an inch barrel clearance is a lot. It is possible that the wood has shrunk that much, but I think it's unlikely. I have several Sakos from that era and they all have maintained the original barrel-stock contact. And I live in a very dry environment.

I would look at two possibilities. First, that someone has intentionally floated the barrel, either by sanding away some wood in the forearm area, or by putting a shim under the block where the front action screw meets the stock. The other possibility is that some previous owner has reassembled the gun incorrectly, so that the action isn't going all the way into the stock. You will need to take the action out of the stock to explore these ideas. If you do so, be sure that when you reassemble the rifle, you get the magazine box properly in place in the floorplate. It is a common problem with older Sakos that the magazine box will slip out of alignment and obstruct the seating of the action in the stock.

An eighth of an inch barrel clearance is a lot. It is possible that the wood has shrunk that much, but I think it's unlikely. I have several Sakos from that era and they all have maintained the original barrel-stock contact. And I live in a very dry environment.

I would look at two possibilities. First, that someone has intentionally floated the barrel, either by sanding away some wood in the forearm area, or by putting a shim under the block where the front action screw meets the stock. The other possibility is that some previous owner has reassembled the gun incorrectly, so that the action isn't going all the way into the stock. You will need to take the action out of the stock to explore these ideas. If you do so, be sure that when you reassemble the rifle, you get the magazine box properly in place in the floorplate. It is a common problem with older Sakos that the magazine box will slip out of alignment and obstruct the seating of the action in the stock.
Great advice for me to look for and to fix should I find
either problem You mentioned. I always do most of my own gunsmith work but have never had to do any on my Sakos, mostly on my Remington 700s & that has been minimal. Thank You Sir for Your ingormation.

Back