• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

zeroing in on the right old Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cat9

You guys are going to get sick of this wanabee stuff. But I am learning Sakos. I think it was Misako 50 that recommended the Bofors steel, earlier models. I like that approach. While it is still premature to buy, and I will probably do so here in Canada, I would be interested in how folks react to the rifle described below.
One specific: Is it missing the rear site? As I learn more, a rifle like this looks very attractive, good to hunt with yet something you could be proud of that holds its value. What is it that I am not seeing? Thank you
L61R Finnbear Bofors Steel 7MM Rem Mag Sako
FINNBEAR L61R, 7mm Rem Mag Sporter, Bofors Steel 24 inch med. weight
bbl w/front sight, nice walnut checkered stock with raised cheek piece
and Sako recoil pad, knurled bolt, sling swivels. 24224 serial # dates
gun a early L61R. Gun is good cleaned used unit showing minor wood
handling marks from hunting, metal blueing shows no marks of wear -
missing front sight hood, still looks good and would rate about 90-95%
overall - bore is perfect - see photos. +S&H of $30.00 to your local
FFL dealer for transfer.

Normal layaway terms are 60 days w/20% deposit.

To pay on line - go to perkiomengunworks.com - find item - put in your
cart and check-out. All transactions will be charged a +3% maintenance
fee. We will receive notice of your payment automatically. Then all we
will need is for you to have your local transfer dealer fax, email or
mail their FFL license copy to ship firearm.
rOR:

To pay via mail with NO extra fees - email us and follow these
directions: To commit to gun we need your full name, address and phone
#. This will only be used to hold gun until your paperwork arrives. Will
confirm back sale if you are the FIRST we hear from with this
information.

We offer 3-day inspection but Layaway payments, Special Order deposits,
S&H and Credit Card fees are Non-Refundable. We have a 10% return
fee if item is as ad states and you wish to return anyway.

Stock # 11077

wm_sm_171900.JPG

Listing Number: 769659986
clear.gif
Price: $799.00
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
Ask a Question About this Item
pop_wm_171900.jpg

pop_wm_171901.jpg

pop_wm_171902.jpg

Cat- If I were looking at that rifle to purchase as a hunter ( it is one) I would want to see a good clear picture of the bottom of the stock and especially the bottom metal. That year class tells me that it should more likely have a plastic grip cap on the stock and the metal should have the "S" style floorplate release. Pictures are a good start if they are complete and detailed. I don't think it would be too much to ask for some that detail the unseen. It is no fun sending rifles back that aren't what you should expect for the price. A restocked rifle isn't a crime and neither is replaced bottom metal as long as the rifle is properly represented and priced.-Misako

cat,
I've followed this seller for some time and have my own curiosities about some of the things he sells. Generally, I find the prices too high. Also, I agree with what Misako says.
Get more pictures from the seller. Check that the receiver and bolt serial numbers match and that it has a three lug bolt.
S-A

Thanks Misako. I am learning. If one wants Bofors for the special tone that gives, an original gun would be essential, at whatever price those bring. I just have to learn to recognize the original from the restocked, which seem to be quite common on older Sakos.
If I get serious I will certainly ask for complete pictures ... or better to see the gun in person with a knowledgeable coach.
Re the rear site, here is a response from the seller that I found of interest:
Very rare that these rifles had rear sights - this one was not removed as it
never had one. At the time, if you wanted a rear sight - Sako sold their
peep assy that mounted on the rear scope block on the receiver.
So is the rear sight missing - yes - but it also never had one,

S-A
Thank you. You guys certainly know whereof you speak. I am not seriously interested in that gun (too much added expense to bring it to Canada) but having you guys consider it has taught me a lot already.

Cat9...the older Sako's used a rear Peep site with rotating aperture for 100 and 200 yds. I don't think the rear leaf sights where available until the 70's in the US.
I have a question for the Guru's, about when did the plastic grip cap (not including the M72's) fade from production? Were all Bofors era guns made with this cap?-Bloo
sorry ..."Available until the 70's in the US and [FONT=arial black,sans-serif]Canada"[/FONT]

Bloo
I have seen some of these sights on the pics on this website, now that I know what to look for. I think they are pretty cool. I am getting clearer about what I want. First, Bofors. Second iron sites ... and if that means a rotating aperture peep sight, so be it. I think rifles look a little naked without iron sites, but I know many people think otherwise. (Of course I will probably end up buying something else entirely ... but it will be a Sako.
And by the way, I understand that if a European rifle is 40 or more years old it escapes duty on entry to Canada.

cat9...with any of the Bofors rifles , you will find them very pleasing, both by feel and by visual. They are trimmer, quicker to the shoulder and eye and the fit and "finnish" is second to none.
...I hope you find your Ballistic soulmate soon:bigsmile3:....Good Luck!-Bloo

All Sakos with the Bofors mark will be more than 40 years old. Of course, unless you're importing from Europe, I'm not sure this makes you any difference on import duties -- or does the "over 40" category apply equally to European rifles imported through the U.S.?

All Bofors marked standard grade Sakos will come with a front sight, however many are missing either the sight hood, sight blade, or both. The front sight ramp was sweated on, so very few of those were removed.

You can find plenty of the rear peep sights for the dovetail on eBay and similar outlets. Prices generally run from $40 to $80 depending on condition and which of the three variations it is.

bloo
the black pistol grip ended somewhere around 67or 68 i have a bofors stamped 22-250 with what appears to be an early 69 production date and no black pistol grip

Hi all,

I realize that this is a decade old post. But I have finally purchased an L61R in 7mm. Priced at $725 Canadian plus all the extras (auction fee, tax, shipping). Have yet to see it in person so a risk for sure. But I like the way it is set up ... may have been that way for a good while.

Only my second Sako, but long interested. Other L579 .243. Both Bofors Steel, which I am a sucker for. And my first 7mm magnum so fills a "need".

Thanks to icebear for some recent advice re choosing an L61R.

Serial number 126xx.

Pretty ordinary rifle, I know, but nice to have, even a decade late.

upload_2021-6-13_13-52-37.png

upload_2021-6-13_13-53-48.png

upload_2021-6-13_13-54-47.png

upload_2021-6-13_13-56-0.png

Cat- Glad you were finally able to get the rifle you wanted
Looks just like the other one plus front hood and scope.
Enjoy it, Wayne

Looks good, and an excellent deal at the price. I see a few minor handling dings on the wood; metal seems to be in vg/ex shape but hard to tell with the quality of the photos. The original Sako scope rings are a plus, as is the original front sight hood. The rings alone sell for over $100 US. The ancient scope is a pig in a poke - looks OK on the outside, internal optics remain to be seen. If you're going to hunt in cold/wet conditions, I'd replace it even if it's good optically. The sealing on those old scopes was iffy. Even if the scope is a loser, the gun is still a bargain at the price. Assuming it shoots OK, I'd say you did well.

Thank you for your remarks, icebear.
I am glad to know those are Sako rings.
And as you advised, I was on watch for the sight hood.
The scope is a Weaver K4 60C. I don't expect much from it, but I think those old Weavers have steel tubes, which is nice.

Latest posts

Back