• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnish Military Handguns - Mauser "Broomhandle" and More

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
This is a bit off the usual topic of Sako sporting rifles, but I think at least a few of us will be interested. The latest addition to my Finnish collection is not a Sako and not even made in Finland, but relevant nonetheless. It's a C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser pistol marked with the SA property stamp of the Finnish Army (Suomen Armeija).

When Finland gained independence from the Russian Empire in 1917, it needed to organize an army. The first weapons were model 91 Mosin-Nagant rifles left behind in Russian arsenals in Finland. Handguns were whatever could be found. Some came from Russian arsenals; others were the personal property of Finns who had been officers in the Russian army. These officers included C.G E. Mannerheim, who as a Russian officer had led an exploring expedition to Central Asia. Although independence was attained with relatively little fighting, Finland was almost immediately plunged into a civil war between Finnish nationalist forces, mainly the White Guard, and Communists supplied and encouraged by the Bolsheviks in Russia. The White forces captured a lot of weapons during the war, including a number of C96 Mausers. My gun was built in 1905; I believe it was most likely captured during the civil war. It could also have come from Russian stocks in 1917, or been the personal property of a Finnish officer, or it could also have been acquired in one of the many small-lot arms deals made by Finland in the 1920's.

Finnish marked C96 pistols are quite rare. According to the most comprehensive published source, fewer than 400 remained in Finnish Army inventory when the older weapons were sold for export in the 1980's.

My gun is in very good condition and looks and feels like it is ready to shoot. Springs are so stiff that you have to cock the hammer before you pull back the slide. It has been refinished. I give about 60/40 odds that it was refinished in a Finnish military arsenal The markings remain crisp and sharp, and it looks like only enough buffing was done to get rid of surface rust. Some light pitting remains, and there are some wheel marks that haven't been buffed out, suggesting that the refinish was more for protection than appearance.

Finland procured two major types of handguns as regular issue between independence and the 1960's. These were the m/23 Luger in 7.65mm Parabellum (many of which were later rebarreled in 9mm) and the L-35 Lahti 9mm. There was also a batch of 9mm FN GP-35 (Browning Hi-Power) pistols with shoulder stocks, many of which went to the Air Force. Shortages were made up with small lots purchased from manufacturers such as Beretta, plus recycled and refurbished guns captured from the Russians. The Suojeluskunta (Civil Guard) did its own procurement and had a wide assortment of pistols, basically whatever they could get their hands on. An Sk.Y marked handgun would definitely be a Holy Grail

The C96 is an interesting beast. When it was first sold at the end of the 19th century, it was one of the most powerful handguns in the world with its high-velocity 7.63mm bottleneck cartridge. It was also accurate and reliable. The "Broomhandle" was immediately popular, earning endorsements from such luminaries as Winston Churchill. Its 10-round internal magazine is loaded from a stripper clip. It looks big and heavy and clumsy, but it is surprisingly comfortable and well-balanced in the hand. Despite its appearance, it's noticeably lighter than a Lahti. With the optional holster-stock, it becomes a handy carbine; raise it to your face and the sights line up naturally. It is actually a lot of fun to shoot. I'll be taking mine to the range as soon as I clean and lube it.

The C96 is famous (or notorious) for its jigsaw-puzzle design. It is incredibly complex; I've had my other one completely apart and I'm still not sure exactly how it works. Brownells has an excellent video showing how to take it apart and put it back together. I almost never need a video to figure out a gun, but this was an exception!

The 7.63mm Mauser cartridge is identical in dimensions to the Soviet Tokarev pistol cartridge, but ammo for the Tokarev should not be fired in a C96 because some loads for the Tokarev are quite a bit hotter than the Mauser is designed for. Proper ammo is easy to get and not expensive. PPU loads it, among others.

This gun is kind of a Holy Grail for me, as it fills a hole in my collection of Finnish military handguns. In addition to the Mauser, I have three Lugers (two in 7.65 and one with a 9mm Tikka barrel), two Lahtis (one military, one commercial), a Browning Hi-Power with shoulder stock and a shoulder holster used by Finnish Air Force pilots, a Beretta M1934 .380, and a captured Russian Nagant revolver. The Lugers and the Lahtis are the only ones I've ever fired, but I have ammo for all and one of these days I'll get around to shooting them all!

Here's a photo of my SA marked C96. SA marks are on the frame just above the grip and on the upper just ahead of the ejection port.
Finn Mauser 1.JPG

Since the Finn marked gun doesn't have a holster-stock, here's my other C96, a commercial "Flatside" model made around 1900, with its stock. I've fired this one and it's tons of fun.
C96-1.JPG

Range update. I test fired the Finn marked C96 today. Functioning was flawless with PPU ammo and with some original German ammo from the 1930's (I think). It's packaged in a cardboard box with two 10-round stripper clips. Here's a photo of the ammo and box.

DWM Ammo & Box.JPG

Last edited:
I saw one here for sale about 15 years ago in canada.He had a Finnish Luger in 9mm, a lahti L35 and a broomhandle redone in Finland. I only had enough money for the Lahti.

I saw one here for sale about 15 years ago in canada.He had a Finnish Luger in 9mm, a lahti L35 and a broomhandle redone in Finland. I only had enough money for the Lahti.
I agree with your choice. The Lahti is the most uniquely Finnish of the three, and an excellent shooter. Is yours a military (VKT) Lahti, or a postwar civilian-sale gun marked Valmet? Would you post a photo?

Mr. Icebear,
You are quite the historian! You have undoubtably have spent a lot of time researching many subjects related to Finland & the Fin's firearm history.
I think you could be a history teacher in some higher institution of learning
and your expertise is not limited to that subject, Congrats !!

Mr. Icebear,
You are quite the historian! You have undoubtably have spent a lot of time researching many subjects related to Finland & the Fin's firearm history.
I think you could be a history teacher in some higher institution of learning
and your expertise is not limited to that subject, Congrats !!
Thanks for your kind comments. My interest in Finnish history and Finnish firearms is motivated by the two years I lived in Finland. And for understanding the history of firearms and other things, it helps enormously that I can speak and read Finnish. That opens up some historical material for me that is not available to the average American collector.

I actually do teach at an institution of higher learning, but I teach foreign policy, not history as such. I do weave history and culture into my discussions. I lead a non-credit seminar in foreign policy at the local community college. The seminar participants are generally older adults looking to enhance their understanding of the world outside the USA. The seminar is currently on hiatus due to the COVID situation. When things settle down, I hope to resume my teaching activities.

Iam sorry, Herra Ice Bear. I left here for a while and did not post pics. I will work on this when my daughter gets home for reading week as I am a bit of a computard.

I agree with your choice. The Lahti is the most uniquely Finnish of the three, and an excellent shooter. Is yours a military (VKT) Lahti, or a postwar civilian-sale gun marked Valmet? Would you post a photo?
I have one Valmet marked L35 that was rebuilt by Valmet in 1979 and was released as military surplus around 1998. The other, more desirable specimen was brought here to Canada immediately following world war2 and was in unmodified wartime condition, with case, and 2 Finnish mags -rather than the Swedish Lahti mags that are everywhere. Together with my 1895 Nagant Pistol (which came here after the first war), they are the pearls of my collection. The Nagant has no communist markings; only Tsarist and is straight out of the Kapina.

I have one Valmet marked L35 that was rebuilt by Valmet in 1979 and was released as military surplus around 1998. The other, more desirable specimen was brought here to Canada immediately following world war2 and was in unmodified wartime condition, with case, and 2 Finnish mags -rather than the Swedish Lahti mags that are everywhere. Together with my 1895 Nagant Pistol (which came here after the first war), they are the pearls of my collection. The Nagant has no communist markings; only Tsarist and is straight out of the Kapina.
Nice. I'd love to see photos of all three - especially the bringback. Was the rebuilt Lahti one of the ones that had the slide replaced with a plain-top one?

The czarist-marked Nagant is very cool. Mine is Soviet-era and marked with the Tula star.
Nagant 1931-1.JPG

This is a bit off the usual topic of Sako sporting rifles, but I think at least a few of us will be interested. The latest addition to my Finnish collection is not a Sako and not even made in Finland, but relevant nonetheless. It's a C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser pistol marked with the SA property stamp of the Finnish Army (Suomen Armeija).

When Finland gained independence from the Russian Empire in 1917, it needed to organize an army. The first weapons were model 91 Mosin-Nagant rifles left behind in Russian arsenals in Finland. Handguns were whatever could be found. Some came from Russian arsenals; others were the personal property of Finns who had been officers in the Russian army. These officers included C.G E. Mannerheim, who as a Russian officer had led an exploring expedition to Central Asia. Although independence was attained with relatively little fighting, Finland was almost immediately plunged into a civil war between Finnish nationalist forces, mainly the White Guard, and Communists supplied and encouraged by the Bolsheviks in Russia. The White forces captured a lot of weapons during the war, including a number of C96 Mausers. My gun was built in 1905; I believe it was most likely captured during the civil war. It could also have come from Russian stocks in 1917, or been the personal property of a Finnish officer, or it could also have been acquired in one of the many small-lot arms deals made by Finland in the 1920's.

Finnish marked C96 pistols are quite rare. According to the most comprehensive published source, fewer than 400 remained in Finnish Army inventory when the older weapons were sold for export in the 1980's.

My gun is in very good condition and looks and feels like it is ready to shoot. Springs are so stiff that you have to cock the hammer before you pull back the slide. It has been refinished. I give about 60/40 odds that it was refinished in a Finnish military arsenal The markings remain crisp and sharp, and it looks like only enough buffing was done to get rid of surface rust. Some light pitting remains, and there are some wheel marks that haven't been buffed out, suggesting that the refinish was more for protection than appearance.

Finland procured two major types of handguns as regular issue between independence and the 1960's. These were the m/23 Luger in 7.65mm Parabellum (many of which were later rebarreled in 9mm) and the L-35 Lahti 9mm. There was also a batch of 9mm FN GP-35 (Browning Hi-Power) pistols with shoulder stocks, many of which went to the Air Force. Shortages were made up with small lots purchased from manufacturers such as Beretta, plus recycled and refurbished guns captured from the Russians. The Suojeluskunta (Civil Guard) did its own procurement and had a wide assortment of pistols, basically whatever they could get their hands on. An Sk.Y marked handgun would definitely be a Holy Grail

The C96 is an interesting beast. When it was first sold at the end of the 19th century, it was one of the most powerful handguns in the world with its high-velocity 7.63mm bottleneck cartridge. It was also accurate and reliable. The "Broomhandle" was immediately popular, earning endorsements from such luminaries as Winston Churchill. Its 10-round internal magazine is loaded from a stripper clip. It looks big and heavy and clumsy, but it is surprisingly comfortable and well-balanced in the hand. Despite its appearance, it's noticeably lighter than a Lahti. With the optional holster-stock, it becomes a handy carbine; raise it to your face and the sights line up naturally. It is actually a lot of fun to shoot. I'll be taking mine to the range as soon as I clean and lube it.

The C96 is famous (or notorious) for its jigsaw-puzzle design. It is incredibly complex; I've had my other one completely apart and I'm still not sure exactly how it works. Brownells has an excellent video showing how to take it apart and put it back together. I almost never need a video to figure out a gun, but this was an exception!

The 7.63mm Mauser cartridge is identical in dimensions to the Soviet Tokarev pistol cartridge, but ammo for the Tokarev should not be fired in a C96 because some loads for the Tokarev are quite a bit hotter than the Mauser is designed for. Proper ammo is easy to get and not expensive. PPU loads it, among others.

This gun is kind of a Holy Grail for me, as it fills a hole in my collection of Finnish military handguns. In addition to the Mauser, I have three Lugers (two in 7.65 and one with a 9mm Tikka barrel), two Lahtis (one military, one commercial), a Browning Hi-Power with shoulder stock and a shoulder holster used by Finnish Air Force pilots, a Beretta M1934 .380, and a captured Russian Nagant revolver. The Lugers and the Lahtis are the only ones I've ever fired, but I have ammo for all and one of these days I'll get around to shooting them all!

Here's a photo of my SA marked C96. SA marks are on the frame just above the grip and on the upper just ahead of the ejection port.
View attachment 22723

Since the Finn marked gun doesn't have a holster-stock, here's my other C96, a commercial "Flatside" model made around 1900, with its stock. I've fired this one and it's tons of fun.
View attachment 22724
Exceptional. Thanks for the detailed history and photos.

Maybe I missed-it but is your C96 in 7.63 or 9mm? The one I could have bought a long time ago was in 9mm. The M23 re-barreled to 9mm was also there and the barrel was Tikka Marked. One should never be forced to choose, Just buying the L35 almost ended my marriage then and there. There was also a Hi-power that was SA marked without the shoulder stock but it was too expensive. I also had a line on an M23 in the original caliber(7.65) that was taken from a Finnish officer in the winter war by a Ukrainian fellow that lived in my hometown; but he died and I don't know where it went. There is also a Winchester 95 and a Cossack Sword that I have a line-on but just have to wait and see.

You speak of the Civil war or Kapina. My grandfather was there on the red side. Therein lies part my fascination with the Winchester model 1895. My grandfather was in one of 3 Maxim machine-gun nests on a tree line that was charged by about 150 Cossacks. My grandfather told his men not to shoot until he could see the expressions on their faces. When the charge turned-back, their Comissar was seen holding-up a revolver, which meant that If the cavalry did not turn back to continue the charge, they would be shot anyways. When it was all over, my grandfather's men saw that the cavalry had brand-new Winchesters. The machine gun crews did not like them because you had to get-up on your elbows to reload in the prone position and this made your head a good target.

5 of these rifles made-it home with these men and came with them to canada but have all but disappeared. I have only ever managed to track one of them down. It is peculiar in that there are only Cyrillic Tsarist markings, indicating they were only ever in the hands of the Tsarist troops. Not Soviet, Not Spanish and not captured by the Germans.

The other aspect of me and the 95 is more civilian. My uncle was in the hayloft with a .22 when we were culling beef. Just before he squeezed-off on the bull who's cowlick was targetted in the stocks, the bull lookled-up and the .22 bul;let bounced off his forehead. The bull took-off with the stochs still on his neck and ran out of the barn. My grampa got the 95 win. off the wall with a handfull of Ball ammo and went out on the tractor. The bull was at the far side of the field with just a trickle of blood down his snout. he was not impressed. My grandfather put 5 closely-placed FMJs through his ribs and the bull keeled-over. We picked-it up with the International Harvester we were gonna use anyway and brought him back to the barn.

These memory burns have a way of captivating a young mind.

Nice. I'd love to see photos of all three - especially the bringback. Was the rebuilt Lahti one of the ones that had the slide replaced with a plain-top one?

The czarist-marked Nagant is very cool. Mine is Soviet-era and marked with the Tula star.
View attachment 31566
Yes, the slide was replaced on the first L35 I bought where the bring back still has the less robust slide with accelerator and loaded chamber indicator. It also has the cursive, capital L electric pencilled on a few of the parts and I like to think it's Lahti's own mark but that would be reading too much into it. Pictures are forthcoming. I accidentaly used-up all the data on my phone. it will be reset Oct. 7., so put that date on your calendar! Some of the num,bers don't match. The frame is a higher serial number than the one I have with the new Valmet slide. It may have been a winter war piece but it was definitely there til the end of the continuation war. The Sotaveterani that brought-it here, never registered-it, and was here in Canada from 1957. I think. It was finally registered in one-of the amnesties here after his death.

You speak of the Civil war or Kapina. My grandfather was there on the red side.
I am confused. Did you mean to say your grandfather was on the White side? Wouldn't the Reds have been on the same side as the Cossacks?

My C96 is in the original 7.63 caliber. I believe the Finns did convert some C96 pistols to 9mm, and they also had a small number of factory-chanbered 9mm Broomhandles.
'
I have three m/23 Lugers. Two have 9mm Tikka barrels and one is in the original caliber. That one has the original brass ID disc, but it has been defaced so it is illegible. I believe the officer who had it removed the numbers when the general order went out to remove the ID discs. I also have an SA marked holster, cleaning rod, and loading tool.
3 Finn Lugers.JPG

View attachment 22723

View attachment 22724
My father's issue sidearm was the Browning Hi-Power. He had a Beretta before the Hi-Power and he considered it an unreliable weapon. It let him down at a critical moment when he didn't have his Suomi machinegun. Good thing he could run fast. The three Russians sitting around their night fire having a meal heard a click and ran for their lives too.
The Civil War was a tragic event but it led to a free Finland.
My Grandfather was in White Intelligence. He scouted out towns before battle to document defenses and weapons placement. He went to Canada from 1929-1939. While in Thunder Bay (Port Arthur then), Ontario at the local Finnish Coffee house a group of Finnish communists inquired where he had been during the Civil War. His answer straight up was-, "You can call Mannerheim's headquarters and they will tell you!" Nothing happened and they left him alone. It could have easily been a one way trip to the bush. The feelings were that hard still.
Enjoy those old weapons, you have quite the collection. It is nice that you enjoy shooting them.

Your father and grandfather must have had some fascinating stories to tell. I salute them for having sisu. And speaking of Finnish intelligence, I had a little bit of contact with them when I was in the US Embassy in Helsinki. Mostly our cousins took care of that, but once in a while I would deal with them. Excellent people, very friendly and very pro-Western. This was 1991-1993, just after the USSR disintegrated. Finland still kept up a nominal neutrality, but we had very close cooperation in national security. A Finnish officer once told me, "Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the East." I did enjoy my time in Helsinki.

Just for old times sake, here are a Finnish Browning Hi-Power and a Finnish Beretta.Both are marked SA. The holster with the Browning is the sling style worn by pilots and aircrew. The serial number of the stock does not match the gun, but it also is SA marked.
Browning Rig.JPG
Beretta 1.JPG

Your father and grandfather must have had some fascinating stories to tell. I salute them for having sisu. And speaking of Finnish intelligence, I had a little bit of contact with them when I was in the US Embassy in Helsinki. Mostly our cousins took care of that, but once in a while I would deal with them. Excellent people, very friendly and very pro-Western. This was 1991-1993, just after the USSR disintegrated. Finland still kept up a nominal neutrality, but we had very close cooperation in national security. A Finnish officer once told me, "Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the East." I did enjoy my time in Helsinki.

Just for old times sake, here are a Finnish Browning Hi-Power and a Finnish Beretta.Both are marked SA. The holster with the Browning is the sling style worn by pilots and aircrew. The serial number of the stock does not match the gun, but it also is SA marked.
View attachment 31606
View attachment 31607
Thanks Icebear! I appreciate you sharing your collection and your Finnish experience.
The 9mm Browning with the tangent rear sight looks classic. Gotta get one of those someday.

I am confused. Did you mean to say your grandfather was on the White side? Wouldn't the Reds have been on the same side as the Cossacks?

My C96 is in the original 7.63 caliber. I believe the Finns did convert some C96 pistols to 9mm, and they also had a small number of factory-chanbered 9mm Broomhandles.
'
I have three m/23 Lugers. Two have 9mm Tikka barrels and one is in the original caliber. That one has the original brass ID disc, but it has been defaced so it is illegible. I believe the officer who had it removed the numbers when the general order went out to remove the ID discs. I also have an SA marked holster, cleaning rod, and loading tool.

'
View attachment 31595
I guess there was a lot of confusing combat in the civil war. My grandfather was scooped up by the reds, other relatives were scooped up by whites. If you didn't go when they came you would be shot so the others wouldn't get you. Terrible time. My father used to play "Nosta se punainen lipu" on the accordion at Christmas sometimes.

These are pics on my phone. I will take more of the others. This is the one right from the war. The buttstock is a terrible P08 copy from China. It is actually copied from a reverse-negative photo as it is mirror-imaged to what it should be. Bizarre. It was a gunshow deal. The Lahti case had the loops for it.

Attachments

• 20190324_232014.jpg
    20190324_232014.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190324_232702.jpg
    20190324_232702.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190324_232713_001.jpg
    20190324_232713_001.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 5
Back