• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 6mm PPC

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

poicka105

Hi All.
I am an Aussie who is coming to the end of a lifetime of hunting and target shooting. I have a 270 Sako and very nice Sako A1 6mm PPC. I believe that the superbly accurate 6mm is a rare rifle. I am trying to ascertain it's value and interest in such a rifle.
I would appreciate any advice or info.
Kind regards
Pete

Hi Pete. Can't help you on down under conditions. I came across two, oddly both at different dealers in a small Idaho (U.S.) town, one wanted $2600 US, the other $1800, which is the one I bought. I'd call them uncommon but not rare, as they pop up now and then on internet sales sites here. If still factory, they are a unique Sako chamber neck dimension with a neck O.D. of .272 specified, much larger than the usual benchrest 6 PPC neck OD. You can see the trials and tribulations I went through on my other threads dealing with a boogered up chamber neck. Next week I'll get out and try shooting it and see if it works OK. The single shot/benchrest/heavy-barel models have a reputation for very good accuracy, though apparently not quite as good as some of the custom neck-turn chambered high-end bench rifles. I'm an arthritic older guy going for lower-recoiling rifles, including the 6PPCs cousin the 6.5 Grendel, which is also very accurate, and kills deer quite convincingly. Good luck finding out what an A1 series Sako goes for in your part of the world.
Norm

Howdy Poika,

Is your rifle a single shot with the bench rest trigger or a repeater?

Gary

Thanks very much for the help:)
My rifle is an L461 Vixen repeater and has been used very little.
Regards
Pete

Based on the scant data available I believe there were maybe a few thousand PPC rifles made between 1987 & 1991 in the standard sporter configuration & they were all stamped with the AI action designation. The single shot target configuration numbers are unknown to me, but they used a special serial numbering that leads me to believe their numbers are in the low 1000's. Sako chambered for both the 22 PPC & the 6mm PPC, but the number of each is unknown. The 22 PPC chambering in the single shot was only made for 9 months with only 553 believed to have been made. If your rifle is stamped L461 it would probably not be a factory or original barrel, as Sako dropped that stamping about 9 years before the PPC became available. As we all know, nothing about Sako history is completely clear or straight forward, so my assumptions about the PPC's should not be taken as hard facts. I do, however, believe they are reasonable assertions.

Last edited:
Hi Pete. Can't help you on down under conditions. I came across two, oddly both at different dealers in a small Idaho (U.S.) town, one wanted $2600 US, the other $1800, which is the one I bought. I'd call them uncommon but not rare, as they pop up now and then on internet sales sites here. If still factory, they are a unique Sako chamber neck dimension with a neck O.D. of .272 specified, much larger than the usual benchrest 6 PPC neck OD. You can see the trials and tribulations I went through on my other threads dealing with a boogered up chamber neck. Next week I'll get out and try shooting it and see if it works OK. The single shot/benchrest/heavy-barel models have a reputation for very good accuracy, though apparently not quite as good as some of the custom neck-turn chambered high-end bench rifles. I'm an arthritic older guy going for lower-recoiling rifles, including the 6PPCs cousin the 6.5 Grendel, which is also very accurate, and kills deer quite convincingly. Good luck finding out what an A1 series Sako goes for in your part of the world.
Norm

Attachments

• 20210521_081157.jpg
    20210521_081157.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210521_081145.jpg
    20210521_081145.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 43
Ok, it's a late 80's AI. We need overall pix to help give up a rough estimate. All surfaces, boltface etc.

20190415_193235.jpg 20190415_193328.jpg Screenshot_20201112-110733_Facebook.jpg The 17 PPC is a neat round. Pretty specialized. I also have an AI repeater in 6PPC. It has been shot 20x(by me)and killed one coyote. I need to rectify that.
Gary
PS the coyote only needed 1 shot.

Last edited:
Based on the scant data available I believe there were maybe a few thousand PPC rifles made between 1987 & 1991 in the standard sporter configuration & they were all stamped with the AI action designation. The single shot target configuration numbers are unknown to me, but they used a special serial numbering that leads me to believe their numbers are in the low 1000's. Sako chambered for both the 22 PPC & the 6mm PPC, but the number of each is unknown. The 22 PPC chambering in the single shot was only made for 9 months with only 553 believed to have been made. If your rifle is stamped L461 it would probably not be a factory or original barrel, as Sako dropped that stamping about 9 years before the PPC became available. As we all know, nothing about Sako history is completely clear or straight forward, so my assumptions about the PPC's should not be taken as hard facts. I do, however, believe they are reasonable assertions.

My 6mm PPC is 1000% original with the only changes being the addition of scope rings, a target scope, and a sling. The serial number is "A 589" . It is a single shot version with a heavy barrel. It is not marked L461.

My 6mm PPC is 1000% original with the only changes being the addition of scope rings, a target scope, and a sling. The serial number is "A 589" . It is a single shot version with a heavy barrel. It is not marked L461.
Thanks for your input & serial number info on your single shot 6mm PPC. Every bit of data helps to decipher the "mystery".

Back