• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Not new to Sako ...too old to be new to much

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bloorooster

The Old Hippie
Hello everyone! I have been around Sako Rifles for a long time. I've had many and have loved them all. Nothing compares to the feel, the fit, and finish of a vintage Sako rifle.

Looking forward to this group,
I am a Sakohaulic of the 1st degree...no 12 step plan will work. I procured my first Sako about 15 years ago and my shooting times have never been the same. Someone warned me then...that once I carried a Sako in the field,
I would not feel right with any other gun...and he was absolutely right.
Now...the safe is full...of Bofors Steel...French Walnut and Skipline checkering...and I search each day...for another.

Hope to take part in conversation here, make some new friends, maybe find some old ones. We shall see...
The Old Hippie

Hello everyone! I have been around Sako Rifles for a long time. I've had many and have loved them all. Nothing compares to the feel, the fit, and finish of a vintage Sako rifle.

Looking forward to this group,
I am a Sakohaulic of the 1st degree...no 12 step plan will work. I procured my first Sako about 15 years ago and my shooting times have never been the same. Someone warned me then...that once I carried a Sako in the field,
I would not feel right with any other gun...and he was absolutely right.
Now...the safe is full...of Bofors Steel...French Walnut and Skipline checkering...and I search each day...for another.

Hope to take part in conversation here, make some new friends, maybe find some old ones. We shall see...
The Old Hippie

Which of your Sako is your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t pick one as a favorite, as they all deserve my time and affection. I carry my hornet most of the time during this time of the year. Trips around the hill for yotes and crows. It’s light weight and low report make a great choice. Groundhogs or “dirtswine” at longer ranges need a little more so I’ll grab .222 or 22-250. I love the 46’s of any caliber, but I have a couple in .222.
Then , as late fall brings brings the whitetail rut on , I open the season with .243’s and .308’s , usually my #1 deluxe in .308 if it’s not pouring rain. When the weather is nasty I grab my Grendel SRT 20.

Is it socially acceptable yet to have multiple favorites? If not, then this is just another confession of a Sakohaulic!

Hippie

That's like asking which one of your children is your favorite, but Old Hippie answered it diplomatically.

Perhaps it's easier to answer "What is your favorite thing about each of your Sakos?"

In that case I might answer (in ascending order of size and power)

1. The joy of knocking off tiny targets with my P72 .22 LR and its rare glossy stock
2. The pinpoint accuracy of all of my .222's
3. The extraordinary fiddleback stock figuring of my .223 Deluxe
4. The first shot from a cold barrel always being "right there" with my ancient .264
5. The dependability as a deer slayer of my .270
6. The inerrant accuracy of my .300 H&H and the memories of the elk it has slain
7. The great performance of my .338 on many head of game in Africa

I guess that each of my Sakos has something "special" about it. If it doesn't, it goes to a home where it will be better appreciated.

That's like asking which one of your children is your favorite, but Old Hippie answered it diplomatically.

Perhaps it's easier to answer "What is your favorite thing about each of your Sakos?"

In that case I might answer (in ascending order of size and power)

1. The joy of knocking off tiny targets with my P72 .22 LR and its rare glossy stock
2. The pinpoint accuracy of all of my .222's
3. The extraordinary fiddleback stock figuring of my .223 Deluxe
4. The first shot from a cold barrel always being "right there" with my ancient .264
5. The dependability as a deer slayer of my .270
6. The inerrant accuracy of my .300 H&H and the memories of the elk it has slain
7. The great performance of my .338 on many head of game in Africa

I guess that each of my Sakos has something "special" about it. If it doesn't, it goes to a home where it will be better appreciated.
Well stated, and to sort of parlay off your post, my favorite is the one I hold for the task most current at hand. Each and every one has a special place and memorable moments from days gone by, and hopefully many more to days come.

One of my .222 memories
My sons and I got together at the range during a holiday weekend. We had a pile of guns to play with and ammo wasn’t as much a problem in those days.
We had paper set up at all distances and some clays and some two liter bottles filled with water.
We shot and out did each other for a couple hours , my oldest was shooting really well , smallest groups of the day.
The clays and the bottles were placed here and there at 100 and 200 yards , we would just pick one out.
I had one of my 46’s there set up with a peep , no one really seemed interested in shooting it, sticking to their favorites.
My son said ,as he polished his nails on his t-shirt, he’d bet me a 5th of bourbon I couldn’t hit the last bottle at 200 with the old “peeper”. We shook hands and I grabbed the ol’46
Had to tell both of them to shut up as they were now taunting me heavily. It got quiet, I drew down and fired....nothing....
BLAAA Hahaha! “You missed! Hahaha!
We then decided it was time to get back, plus I had to swing by the liquor store.
Gathering up all our trash and target debris, my oldest was still polishing nails, but he was nice enough to take the walk out to 200 and pick up.
He yelled at me “Hey Pops!”
I looked as he held up the bottle I’d missed and squeezed it ..water squirting out both sides! I’d hit it about a 1/4” above the water line.
BLAAA HAHAHA! (In the other direction)
I got home first that day, happy that I didn’t have to stop at the liquor store no more.
Good Times

Hippie

Instead of 2-liter plastic bottles I like using old bowling pins out at 200, 300, & 400 yards. Spray paint them with loud colors and they make great substitutes for woodchucks/rockchucks/prairie dogs, etc. I've popped quite a few at 200 yards with my Sears Model 52 (L46) using the Sako detachable peep sight. I call it "Cow Pasture Bowling". And unlike a plastic bottle filled with water, you can knock them over but it takes many more than just one shot to "kill" them.

Yep we do pins too. Mostly with the handguns as both my sons genetically have a thang for 1911’s.

I enjoy the clays the best , the diameter is close to that of a deers heart. If you can bust one at any yardage, then you can do the same on “Ol Tanglehorn” , if you can keep your composure!

Old Hippie

Hello and good morning to everyone!

I think it’s time, time to come clean, time to put things back as they should be.

I am of course an old Hippie, long haired and heavily bearded. I came here and joined this forum after years of looking in as a non participant. I’ve loved and enjoyed this place for many ,many years.
It was here that I learned about these wonderful rifles, from some wonderful people. It all started with one De Lux rifle that my dad bought home, lent to him by a friend. I remember it well. The rifle was so beautiful and so slick in operation. To my father and I , it was too nice to hunt with, even tho it’s owner gave us full permission to do just that. I ended up taking my old 94 30/30 win, but spent the days carrying it , with that gorgeous Sako on my mind!
Years went by, and I found myself in a place where I could afford a better rifle and that De Lux was still on my mind. I found this forum while researching Sako rifles.
I met many good people here, and I asked them question after question. I had a few I regard still as Mentors… Misako50…Gunner620…Stonecreek…Sala-Ampuja…SakoTex…and many more.
I left the forum after almost a decade , for my own reasons, and after some time ,as I attempted to return I found that my place here had been shut off from me. I could no longer log in or participate. I could not use the PM system or any other functions.
Every click took me to a blank page. So….I chose a new moniker and rejoined as who you all know now.

Id like much to return, in full, to my old original place here,

I’m sure some of you have figured it out, and I have spoken with some of my old friends here about it, revealing my true identity.

Thanks to everyone here , for a warm welcome, even for an old Hippie, it was nice to return to the fold.

Im hoping that all things can be put back to the way they were.

with respect and high regards!

The old Hippie formerly known as Bloorooster

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now Old Hippie.
I'm glad you have that off your conscience. I think back on all of the years that we used to trade information and enjoy the company of 'Bloo'. We wondered where you went. Glad to know you are well and hope you do not disappear again. If you are of a like agreement, I for one would rather address you as 'Bloo" or Bloorooster. Welcome back and be aware that others have also had similar problems with our SCC website. I have given up trying to PM stonecreek or open a new topic. It is what it is and I blame it on my computer spam blockers, stone walls and my computer illiteracy. My biggest problem is that every computer nerd that works on my computer has to set up the way he wants it instead of the way I want it for simplicity. Sakojim.

Hip.....err....Bloo......

A bit familiar from my old "Squiggly Wood" thread.....10 years ago.

Yep......I remember ya.

1697 old posts ain't chicken feed!! :)

(edit: It's gonna have to be Bloo.........cause at 59 yer waaaay too YOUNG to be an "old" Hippie!!
ME......on the other hand..........................................................:) :) )

Last edited:
Now you can use both identities. By day, mild mannered Old Hippie. By night crime fighting Sako wielding super hero Bloo Rooster! ( do you have a cape?)

I do!
Well ,it’s actually a tyedie beach towel but it works!

Bloorooster, Hippie .. either way they both apply, how ever to who ever.
As a famous sailor once said , “ I Yam, what I Yam”
:)

Now you can use both identities. By day, mild mannered Old Hippie. By night crime fighting Sako wielding super hero Bloo Rooster! ( do you have a cape?)
BD, you pegged bloo good. "Sako wielding super hero Bloo". Made me think of Chicken Man.....the greatest crime fighter on Radio, heck Everywhere, Everywhere. If you're over 50 and didn't listen to Chicken Man, something's wrong.

I missed you Bloo, thanks for coming back.

BD, you pegged bloo good. "Sako wielding super hero Bloo". Made me think of Chicken Man.....the greatest crime fighter on Radio, heck Everywhere, Everywhere. If you're over 50 and didn't listen to Chicken Man, something's wrong.

I missed you Bloo, thanks for coming back.
I remember Chicken Man. He's everywhere! And in Detroit, we had Manoogie Man, which was a total inside joke because the mayor's residence was the Manoogian Mansion.

But the greatest superhero of all was - WonderWartHog!!!

6edd0d0aaac5e14c15dd9e275cb00af5.jpg

951bdc40a3837f32fe6580cb013cdc1f.jpg

5b01cc01a28dff42b8023755265473f9.jpg

Seems to me Bloo Rooster could take Chicken Man and Wonder Warthog!

Latest posts

Back