• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako AV Stock Replacement

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a Sako AV in 264 Win Mag (previously 338wm) and I am looking to replace the stock. It is a very plain Hunter series stock and I would like to replace it with a highly figured stock.

Here is my question: I found a very nice 75-IV stock for sale but I cannot find any information about whether the AV action will fit in a 75-IV stock.

Please let me know if it can be done.

Thanks,
Rick

Howdy Richard,

Sorry, they are different actions with different footprints. You will have to keep looking. Good luck.
Gary

BE7A71BE-EB43-415B-81E7-A0F3904C304D.jpeg B7CC2513-04CB-411A-9B3A-7428F2E1EBC2.jpeg
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a Sako AV in 264 Win Mag (previously 338wm) and I am looking to replace the stock. It is a very plain Hunter series stock and I would like to replace it with a highly figured stock.

Here is my question: I found a very nice 75-IV stock for sale but I cannot find any information about whether the AV action will fit in a 75-IV stock.

Please let me know if it can be done.

Thanks,
Rick
As gowyo said, they are different, see photos attached. Left is a 7 mm mag Model 75 known as V and right is an AV338 Win mag. Note recoil lug inletting differences. Sako sites will show difference designs or can be found on the net.

Beings you have a stock you can have a stock maker with a duplicating machine create an exact copy from a "highly figured" blank. Then sell your original stock to recoup some of the cost. Cost would be dependent on the price of the blank, but you should be able to have a nice stock made & completely checkered & finished starting around $1000. Highly figured factory Sako stocks were scarce even back then, so finding one now will be a challenge! Last nice, like new AV stock I saw sell went for $500+ & it wasn't "highly figured". Good luck.

Hi Richard,
In the past I purchased several stocks from Richards Mocro fit stocks in CA.
The first four were good & managable. The last one was a disaster.The action inletting was no where like the previous AV that I had ordered. The shelf that is on the left side by the bolt release was 1/4" too high, the style was to be a Frontier style and it came square. I understand the firm has come under new owners & sadly my experience with the new bunch is not good. The original owner was customer oriented and was a pleasure to work with. The figure of the wood was good. If you entertain using them be prepared for some extensive action fitting.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info gents! I figured that it wouldn't work out, but it nevee hurts to ask. I have looked into Richard's and have heard both good and bad, but unfortunately a lot of bad.

Thanks again!

The only difference between the L61R & AIII action inletting & the AV is the AV has a slightly longer (about 1/4") rear tang, so they could be modified to work. The other difference is that Sako changed their barrel contours over the years, so that needs to be considered as well. There is no certainty of a "drop in" fit, but if the barrel channel is narrower it can be made to fit your barrel. If barrel is narrower than your stock channel, it's hard to add wood.

Hi again Richard,
Mr. Paulson gives good advice there are stocks for sale on e-bay, I think one of them ia an A III. I hope you can find what you need.

Back