• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Safari's

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Welcome and thanks for posting pictures, that always gets our attention. Love that Mesquite wood. A friend built a lake house and trimmed it out in Mesquite including a large stairway to the second floor kitchen with a 4' x 15' custom made mesquite dining table. Are my eyes fooling me, or is the barrel contour on the 300 and 375 the same? And the 338 barrel appears heavier. All are beautiful. Are the 300, 338, and 375 actions stamped AIV and what is the serial number range (55xxxx ?). I always wanted an early one in 300 Win Mag, but they're like hens teeth. I've seen one 300 many years ago at Collectors Firearms in Houston, but like a dummy, I didn't buy it.

Spectacular. Love the mesquite. I've got some mesquite drying from having my trees trimmed, but nothing big enough to make a stock. Pistol grips, maybe.

Douglastwo, excuse the delay in reponse the actions and serial no's as follows:
.338 A IV 5689_ _
.300 A IV 5615 _ _
.375 A IV5692 _ _
.458 L61R 7586 _
.458 L61R 7706 _.

I do not recall the year I bought the .458 barreled actions, but they were from a wholesaler out of Pennsylvania and discounted to $200 each, as well as a couple of plain actions for future builds. I had 2 Arizona mesquite blanks at the time and had them built as above, one ended up without a barrel swivel band. The .375 is one of my favorites being quite comfortable to shoot and has taken quite a few animals with open sight configuration. I had a .416 Rigby Sako custom build from a PH back in 1990's and as usual, regret selling it.

Beautiful rifles !
I love wood stocks. On my mothers side of the family I learned her mothers family made furniture. This was a revelation to me as I didn't know why figured wood grain was so appealing to me. God makes simple things beautiful. While in Argentina I discovered "Calden" wood. It is in the same family of trees as the Acacia & Mesquite trees they use it for fence posts!! I wonder if it could be used for rifle stocks as well ?

I am happy to share photos and stories with any reasonable relationship, although I tend to stray from the topic at hand. The Acacia's in Africa look identical to the Mesquite found in North and Central America less the thorns, an evolutionary thing I suppose.
In South Texas and Mexico there are mesquite fenceposts that are pushing 100 years old and still sturdy and not susceptible to termites, the reason given by the ranch old-timer hands is that the posts came from mesquites that were deliberately felled during a full moon that made them "sappy" and then submersed for long periods of time in water/ponds to prevent the wood borers from burrowing in the fresh cut wood. The cuts being at an angle or pointed to minimize rain absorption and resulting decay rather than a flat cut or perpendicular to the upright post.
A solution to worm hole or damage on a potential high figured piece of mesquite wood for a stock is black colored epoxy that further strengthens that area so as not to be discouraged if one runs across a good one.

Many like photos so, here goes of 2 Sako Safari's at work on safari. Sako Safari .375 H&H Magnum on Tanzanian Lion, circa 1992; Sako .416 Rigby on South African White Rhino, circa 1998. (.416 Rigby was acquired as a rechambered magnum) Safari circa 1992.jpg Safari 1998.jpg

OK, this has convinced me if I can ever figure out a "reason" (of some sort) for buying an over-.40... it'll be an AIV.

:)

I did at one time wonder a little about converting my .25-'06 AV to a .416 of one flavor or another... but folks here kindly convinced me it'd be easier/better/possibly less expensive to just sell the AV and get an AIV. So far, I'm only halfway along that plan...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back