• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako SAKO IV Model 75 Hunter ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

SAKO Model 75 Hunter?

• Total voters

HBHUNTER

Hi fellow Sako folks, below is a Sako Model 75 Hunter I presume ? however i just purchased this rifle and I am looking for some helpful information. The barrel has the Sako IV stamp and serial # in the 9069_ _ range.

The question(s) I have are :
1. based on the serial # the general manufacture date?
2. This appears to be a Model 75 Hunter ?
3. The recoil lug is not in the usual place of the AIII or AV . It is located as part of the rear portion inside the stock/trigger guard? What are your thoughts on the effectiveness of this system.

I have not shot this rifle yet but I will report as soon as I do. It looks like it was a former safe queen, but those days are over. I will start shooting it once I get a scope for it.

Information is appreciated, thanks
HBHUNTER

17d784eb7afb634786c206907f8e62ba.jpg

The Model 75 was never stamped with that designation as it was the only model Sako made at the time, but rather stamped to denote the action size with a I (small), III (medium), SM (short magnum), IV (long), & V (magnum). These stampings, as well as the serial number are on the action, not the barrel. The 75 is a completely different design than the earlier L & A series you refer to. The differences include the recoil lug, which is not integral to the action but a separate part(which was a big turn off to many), a three lug bolt with a 60 degree lift, a detachable box magazine, & various cosmetic changes. The 75 was introduced in 1996, Sako's 75th Anniversary, & replaced the 91 series rifles. It was discontinued in 2006 by the current Model 85. Without a factory hang tag or inspection slip or access to factory records (which we do not) it is impossible to precisely date your rifle. They came in several configurations including Sporter (your's), Deluxe, Varmint, & a synthetic stocked Finnlight. Whether they hung the Hunter moniker on them like they did with the AV rifles from the late 1980's I can't say. The 75 has little to no collector interest compared to the earlier L & A series rifles, but are a well made rifle that should serve you well. All this info & much, much more is readily available here by doing a search & a little reading. You can find out the opinions of others about the recoil lug that way & maybe satisfy your curiosity about the use of "Hunter". I didn't vote because I don't see any difference in your options other than the word "Model".

Paulsconsruction, I appreciate your reply and as usual your understanding of theses rifles is pretty comprehensive. I was attracted to this particular rifle because it is chambered in .280 which is my go to hunting rifle and wen I retire (god willing) I will have a reliable backup and maybe a good replacement rifle. I should get it in a week or so. I already have loads since I have used this caliber for some time now. I will shoot it and report back regarding any recoil differences based on the recoil lug modification as you indicated, accuracy etc.

Thanks again !

Paulsconsruction, I appreciate your reply and as usual your understanding of theses rifles is pretty comprehensive. I was attracted to this particular rifle because it is chambered in .280 which is my go to hunting rifle and wen I retire (god willing) I will have a reliable backup and maybe a good replacement rifle. I should get it in a week or so. I already have loads since I have used this caliber for some time now. I will shoot it and report back regarding any recoil differences based on the recoil lug modification as you indicated, accuracy etc.

Thanks again !
I have no personal experience shooting the Model 75 but, from the accounts of others on the forum, the recoil lug design in the 75 doesn't appear to have any detrimental effect on accuracy. The change to the recoil lug was a cost saving move & initially was suspect, like all changes tend to be. I do think, however, any worries have been proven unfounded with the passage of time. The 280 Rem is a great round. I had one from the GO Wholesale special run in the A series. Got offered way too much for it & let it go years ago. Good luck with your new rifle!

The 280 Rem is a great round. I had one from the GO Wholesale special run in the A series.
I was lucky enough to come by one of the GO .280's. It is one of those "they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands" Sakos. Unfortunately, I have way more of those type of Sakos than I have hands:(, which I suppose will make the mortician's job a little less complicated.

paulson and stonecreek. I have a GO 280 NIB which I feel very fortunate to have acquired decades ago. I agree with your sentiments regarding parting with yours stonecreek. It is serial # GO182 and marked 'Hunter' on the box. I don't know haw many of these were ordered from the factory but curious if either of you might know? Sakojim.

paulson and stonecreek. I have a GO 280 NIB which I feel very fortunate to have acquired decades ago. I agree with your sentiments regarding parting with yours stonecreek. It is serial # GO182 and marked 'Hunter' on the box. I don't know haw many of these were ordered from the factory but curious if either of you might know? Sakojim.
If IIRC, it was 500, but stone knows for sure.

SakoJim, I hear ya, sounds like a good problem to have too many Sakos ?. The problem is not being able find reloading components to keep the interest and tradition of what the Sako members have in common - that is owning, shooting and hunting etc.
I am a proud owner of a Sako "GO" in .280 as well (serial #300's) . It has never shorted me, it's usually me that pulls a shot or rushes one but I can only say great things about the rifle. I purchased it in 92 in Montana and I've used it since and plan on it a lot more. I heard they made somewhere in the range of 500 +/- of those rifles and they were available/sold in the Northwestern US. I remember reading about that on this Forum I believe. I enjoy reading about and can usually count on the Sako Club Members expertise and knowledge ! HBHUNTER

Hi Sakojim,

There were 500 GO Wholesale rifles built. I’m fortunate to own two of them. One was bought for my father which I received back when he passed, the other was bought more recently at a hole in the wall gunshop. Take care.

Thanks for the responses. I do not know very much about the 280 rem caliber other than what I have read. It seems to me that this caliber was introduced a little late and did not meet the competition because of popularity surge of the 270. and others such as the 6.5 variations. I believe that it is in a very unique category for the 7mm STW and several other untimely introduced calibers. Changing times and hunters requirements do bring some of these older calibers back to popularity. The 7mm variations do seem to have a much wider range of bullet selections by weights and velocities than most other calibers. My favorite calibers for most of my hunting have been 223, 7mm STW and 338 Lapua. These calibers have served me well for everything from targets and varmints to big horn and moose. My backup for big game has always been the 300 WM. Naturally, these calibers have all carried the name Sako since 1962 when I purchased my first Finnbear in 7mm RM and outgrew my Savage 99F which I still have. Like stonecreek, I have had a problem parting with old friends. (Sako rifles seem to join the family for keeps.) Sakojim.

The .280 Remington was introduced in 1957, the was subsequently nearly wiped out by Remington themselves. When they introduced the 7MM RM they marketed the new caliber every way from Sunday, forgetting about the arguably more efficient cartridge. Remington tried to rename it twice, 7Mm-06 and 7MM Express Remington, further shooting them selves in the foot. Fortunately, a small following kept the cartridge alive and Remington resumed back to the original designation. The Ackley improved version is a very fine cartridge and is available in many rifle configurations. It’s very efficient and the report is mild.

The .280 Remington was introduced in 1957, the was subsequently nearly wiped out by Remington themselves. When they introduced the 7MM RM they marketed the new caliber every way from Sunday, forgetting about the arguably more efficient cartridge. Remington tried to rename it twice, 7Mm-06 and 7MM Express Remington, further shooting them selves in the foot. Fortunately, a small following kept the cartridge alive and Remington resumed back to the original designation. The Ackley improved version is a very fine cartridge and is available in many rifle configurations. It’s very efficient and the report is mild.
Typical Remington. They have, over the years, shown a remarkable propensity to destroy their own product lines. The end result is their current bankruptcy filing. May that company RIP & hopefully, nothing like it will rise from the ashes.

GO Wholesale is apparently long since out of business, or perhaps merged with some other company. I've tried researching it and all I can find is that it distributed in the Northwestern states. Along with a very few other U.S. entities from that era (Gander Mountain was one, and the old Sako Collectors Association was another) GO was somehow able to swing getting a limited issue of Sakos made to their specifications. Sako had not previously chambered the .280 Remington, but subsequent to the GO edition (with its 24.4" or 620mm barrel) Sako did offer the A-V in .280, but the non-GO version had the briefly-produced 22.83" or 580mm barrel. To me, this made the GO version even more desirable.

In more recent years entities like Cabela's and the NRA had some special edition Sakos made; there was also a "King Ranch" version with a running W brand on it, but I don't know who commissioned that one.

However, D.W. Custer, the one-time Australian importer, seems to have been able to get Sako to produce a number of special editions, most of them highly upgraded.

Footnote: I found a post from an SCC member back in 2008 who was from Montana and said that he had purchased two of the GO Wholesale .280's. He also said that GO Wholesale was located in Billings, Montana. However, another SCC member in a different thread cited Boise, Idaho as GO's location. It is possible that GO had multiple locations, but which might have been the home office seems lost to history.

I also attempted to research GO Wholesale some time ago with no solid or 100% reliable results. What I can reliably state is, I bought my original rifle NIB at a chain sporting goods store known as G.I. Joes. They were well known and had stores in Idaho, Washington and Oregon. I believe they had 30 stores. Mine was bought in Oregon. I knew the gun department manager and still know him today. He’s a fishing guide these days.

At the time, the store had five GO Wholesale rifles. I bought one. Potential logic would lend itself to believe that a decent percentage of the GO rifles ended up in the G.I Joes inventory, but obviously I have no way to confirm. It simply makes sense that if five rifles ended up in Eugene, other stores - but maybe not all, most likely had some in inventory. It also seems probable that other mid size chains and small shops were offered to shelve these limited offerings. From the limited information I’d consider reliable - it does seem most of the rifles were distributed throughout northwest. I believe this is consistent with others who’ve contributed here and on other sites.

paulson. It is disgusting to see so many firearm manufacturing companies going out of business. Many are unable to bear the expense of liability insurance and lawsuits, not to mention the overwhelming expense of gun control law compliance. I realize that the best days for all forms of shooting enjoyment are getting shorter. More restrictions on gun ownership and reloading component scarcity and associated costs of ownership may eventually end our sport. Our sportsmen and women need to work toward electing officials that will protect our constitutional right to enjoy firearms for hunting and personal security. Sakojim.

stone. I recall the previous search did not lead to any factual source of the GO Wholesale company actual location. I did not get any paperwork with the one that I bought from the original owner so unable to help.
I do not recall any thing on the box that helped with a location either. I wonder if maybe the company was possibly a mail order firm with a small dealership network. Sakojim.

That's some impressive internet sleuthing, Northernlights! Maybe we can finally dig up some information from an informed principal.

Fantastic information northernlights. The more I searched the sources you sent, the more I felt that this was a well organized large web of interconnected companies that had a well hidden background. Interesting but mostly dead ends.
It would be nice to know if anyone can learn more. Sakojim.

Back