• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope Mounts

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

C Scott

I'm trying to find rings to mount a 30mm scope on my mid-60's L61R. Are the integral dovetails on my rifle the same as on newer Sako receivers? The listings I have been looking at are not clear on this.
TIA, Scott

I'm trying to find rings to mount a 30mm scope on my mid-60's L61R. Are the integral dovetails on my rifle the same as on newer Sako receivers? The listings I have been looking at are not clear on this.
TIA, Scott
Yes, the dovetail dimensions from vintage Sako rifles to modern Sako rifles are the same.

So any available 30MM ringmount or base and ring set for Sako dovetails will mount on your vintage rifle. The simple and easy application is Leupold one piece ringmounts. They’re inexpensive, available in four heights and mount on the dovetails positively and with some flexibility.

Sako one piece 30MM ringmounts can be purchased and are rock solid. The downside is they’re expensive and often leave the scope higher than desired. They are often difficult to locate in any other heights except low. Sako also offers a two piece base and 30MM ring set. Unfortunately the same issue is often encountered. Picking and locating the right height. There are a few other options out there but the three mentioned are the most available.

Obviously, all stated above depends on your objective lense size, so that will factor in when making you decisions. Hopefully this helps.

My choice for a 30mm Sako mount would be the Warne vertically split rings, made in either fixed or QD configurations. Unfortunately, they are no longer made, but they can often be found on eBay or Gunbroker.

You can also use Redfield/Burris bases which take 30mm rings from a number of sources including Leupold. Look for the bases which locate the front ring near the rear of the base instead of the forward portion of the base. This reduces the distance between the rings which is helpful with most scopes.

Thank you folks. I'm having trouble determining what bases go with what rings, height requirements, etc. I have Vortex rings on the scope now that fit a Picatinny rail (different rifle) so I really only need bases. Are all bases going to accept the rings that fit Picatinny?

No.Picatinny rings require a mil-spec Picatinny rail base. I am not sure who, if anybody, makes a Picatinny base to fit an L61R. It would have to be a one-piece base because the Picatinny spec dictates the spacing of the slots. There are Weaver bases to fit Sako, but Weaver bases will not accept Picatinny rings because the crossbars in mil-spec Picatinny rings are too wide for a Weaver slot. Also, the Weaver adapters for Sako are held in place with a set screw, which mars the gun, and they are generally held in low regard by Sako shooter-collectors.

I would recommend that you stick with a pair of rings that are made to fit directly onto the Sako dovetails.

Thank you folks. I'm having trouble determining what bases go with what rings, height requirements, etc. I have Vortex rings on the scope now that fit a Picatinny rail (different rifle) so I really only need bases. Are all bases going to accept the rings that fit Picatinny?
No ringmounts for a picatinny base are specific applications. For a Sako you’d need a Contessa rail or similar which slides onto the dovetails. These are expensive and not the best choice in my opinion. Most rails utilize set screws on the side and may mar the dovetails to which they are tightened against. They are also specific to action length. You simply can do better at much less cost by utilizing the advice from above.

You don't need any bases as the "bases" are already machined into the receiver!!! Take the picatinny rings off the scope & just buy the 30mm Leupold ringmounts made to fit directly on the Sako receiver's tapered dovetails & quit confusing yourself with bases, rings, picatinny rails & all the other garbage you don't need. It's a simple straightforward system that works to perfection. All you have to do is figure out what height you need & then a Caveman could do it.

A "caveman" huh? In that case I guess I'm eminently qualified! I will take your advice and go with the one piece ringmounts. They sure look nice and sleek in the pictures. I'll follow up in a week or so and let you all know how it turns out.
Thank you people, I really appreciate the help.

There's one little point to watch out for with the one piece rings. When you set them on the dovetails, you will notice that the front ring moves to the left as you slide it forward. (Presumably the rear ring is fixed in place with an aligning pin). You need to find the sweet spot where the ring is centered so that the central axis of the scope is parallel to the axis of the bore. That's generally around the middle of the dovetail. Push the ring too far forward and it's off to the left; too far back and it's off to the right. Depending on how far off center it is and how much internal adjustment the scope has, it can get outside the windage adjustment range of the scope. Not difficult to deal with if you check it when you're mounting the scope. If you've got a laser bore sighter, you just center the scope's adjustments, mount the scope loosely enough to move the front ring back and forth, and watch the dot in the scope.

Picatinny base option is Burris # 410635, 2 piece . The set I am using are steel, found some references as to being aluminum. I sourced from midway, as I had to replace my older Burris 1" 6-24 scope on L579 22-250 due to internal spring problems, even after sending to Burris for evaluation/reseal, and obtained a used Sightron SIII, which necessitated 30mm rings

Follow up: I took this forum's advice and got Leupold one piece rings and mounts. I mounted them with no problem. they look good, nice and sleek and the setup bore-sighted very close to point of aim. So it's off to the range! I'm really looking forward to seeing how well I can get this rifle/scope combo to shoot with fine crosshairs instead of a simple "dot" in the scope.
Thank you to all who responded with suggestions.
C. Scott

Hello fellow Sako people!
while we are talking about mounting scopes on Sako Rifles, are these !" dovetail rings a viable set #14908 & # 14909 They are Sako rings 1" med. and are they ok for 30/06 AV?

Thanks Marlin92,
Are the numbers correct for a fwd. & aft. rings correct? they are being sold seperate, I would consider buying just to have them.
Numbers are #14908 & 14909 "Sako" on one, & " Finland" on the other.

Bucktote not sure of the numbers as I do not ever remember seeing part numbers stamped on the original boxes.
The rear ring should have the locating pin ( if someone didn't file it off) and the clamps should be longer than the clamps on the front ring. When I saw your question I went out to see the rings you were speaking of to verify they were the Sako split medium rings.

Thanks Marlin92, for looking, I guess I will just punt on the mounts as my
parts bin is getting quite full. My kids will have enough stuff to plow thru and I have a habbit in putting things in a safe place never to be found again !! keep well & good hunting & shooting !! B/T

Future reference for those wanting a picatinny rail for Sako's tapered action:
Recknagel Picatinny Rail for SAKO Rifles from New England Custom Gun Service

Latest posts

Back