• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Pre WW2 what caliber?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

my m28 with sako barrel was not rechambered "D" to the soviet standard and I can not find info on what caliber it is .

Last edited:
You may want to look at the 7.62x53R Finnish military round to see if that is what your rifle is chambered for. Slightly different bullet diameter (.309") & case dimensions than the Russian 7.62x54R, but interchangeable. Info on it is online & covers the differences & interchangeability. Chamber cast & slugging barrel would confirm.

Just wanted to respond to your posts about the M28 with the first Sako barrel ever made!! I think the reason you haven't received any responses is that your claim is a little puzzling. At least I was a little baffled by it. Sako is an acronym for the Finnish words that stand for Civil Guard Gun & Machining Works Ltd. So any Finnish built military rifle from 1921 on would more than likely have a "Sako" barrel & I'm not quite sure how you have determined that your M28 has the first Sako barrel ever made. Sako started building sporting rifles on a commercial basis in 1946. More info on your rifle would be interesting.

You may want to look at the 7.62x53R Finnish military round to see if that is what your rifle is chambered for. Slightly different bullet diameter (.309") & case dimensions than the Russian 7.62x54R, but interchangeable. Info on it is online & covers the differences & interchangeability. Chamber cast & slugging barrel would confirm.
thanks , I will look into that caliber . I knew it was very close to the soviet round but I have not slugged or cast yet . where might I find " info online " .

Just wanted to respond to your posts about the M28 with the first Sako barrel ever made!! I think the reason you haven't received any responses is that your claim is a little puzzling. At least I was a little baffled by it. Sako is an acronym for the Finnish words that stand for Civil Guard Gun & Machining Works Ltd. So any Finnish built military rifle from 1921 on would more than likely have a "Sako" barrel & I'm not quite sure how you have determined that your M28 has the first Sako barrel ever made. Sako started building sporting rifles on a commercial basis in 1946. More info on your rifle would be interesting.
before sako made complete firearms they made only barrels for the finnish armory . the m28 was produced for two years ( '27/'28 ) and about 30,2?? were made . the last 1000-1200 m28's got the first sako barrels . the first and only thing sako made at the time . all information can be found at ( 7.62x54r.net ) and ( Russian-mosin-nagant.net ) they consider it a 10 rarity on a 1-10 scale .

Last edited:
I've read where SIG (German), Tikka, & VGT also provided barrels for Mosin-Nagants. Do you know how the Sako barrels fit in order of appearance or were they commingled? Are these just the Finnish made ones or Russian as well?

I've read where SIG (German), Tikka, & VGT also provided barrels for Mosin-Nagants. Do you know how the Sako barrels fit in order of appearance or were they commingled? Are these just the Finnish made ones or Russian as well?
the overwhelming majority of the m28's did indeed have tikka and sig barrels . they decided to start producing their own barrels and started the sako factory to make them . the first barrels came off the line and into the armory at the end of the m28 run . the civil guard decided that the 28 needed a few minor upgrades and it became the 28/30 . all 28/30's got the sako barrels and sako later started making full rifles .

Last edited:
the overwhelming majority of the m28's did indeed have tikka and sig barrels . they decided to start producing their own barrels and started the sako factory to make them . the first barrels came off the line and into the armory at the end of the m28 run . the civil guard decided that the 28 needed a few minor upgrades and it became the 28/30 . all 28/30's got the sako barrels and sako later started making full rifles .
i believe you meant vkt instead of vgt

VKT= Valtion KivääriTehdas=State Rifle Factory. 24.9.1928-1.5.1946. After that VMT to 1951. Valmet 1.1.1951-15.7.1993

Last edited:
This thread is from 2016-2017. To set a few things straight - Sako actually made barrels before the m/28, which were fitted to rebuilt m/91 rifles. These are extremely rare and they are marked SAT (Finnish Ammunition Factory) as this was before the company changed its name to Sako. The Belgian barrels were fitted to m/91 and m/39 rifles built by VKT. Some are marked both VKT and B and some are only marked B.

My M28 has a D and a T inside of an inverted triangle.
then the serial number below it
then another, more prominent D, top dead centre
and 1928 on the bottom of the barrel bolster where it meets the receiver.
there is an SA in a rectangle on the top flat of the hex receiver which is property mark for everything in the Finnish Army(Suomen Armi m28.jpg a)

Back