• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New old 222 rifle!!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The "Varmint King" was the Marlin Model 422 Bolt Action Rifle and was made by Sako. Only 354 were were manufactured between 1956-58. They featured a stainless steel barrel and were marked "stainless steel" on the right side of the barrel. They were also marked "Varmint King" on the top roll stamp. The receiver used was a Sako L46. The barrel was a standard tapered version and not a heavy varmint barrel. I consider this hybrid to be a very rare and hard to get rifle. They don't come on the market all that often for obvious reasons. I got lucky and was able to get my hooks on two of them. So if you get a chance to get one my recommendation is to pick it up assuming that you beat me to it.

rick

Last edited:
Rick: I'll hit the net & order the forming die today. After I posted the last message I found that if I turn the case after each press the cases came out OK about 80 % of the time. But I agree with you, I don't want to stress the brass and risk a case head breach!!!

Send me a PM so we can talk. Be sure to give me your number so I can call. Also, I'm partial to RCBS dies. Check Ebay and their might be a die set there for sale.

rick

My e-ml is jm2martinmehrl at gmail com all run together. Found a Redding form die & ordered it already.

https://www.sakosource.com/-1702s--mar422.html

Here is an example of a Marlin 422 Varmint King. The stainless steel barrels were blued, not left bright. However, they do have the patented Marlin MicroGroove rifling (and all I have worked with have been quite accurate -- even those fired with .223 brass miraculously reformed to .222 with only a regular full length die!)

I found a 422 for sale on gunbroker.com. I just had to shell out big bucks to replace my car, so am reluctant to shell out the $1000 + for the gun in these uncertain times. I fully intend to enjoy my Marlin/Saco 322 in the meantime!!!

Don't buy it. The barrel has been stripped of bluing and it has been remover rechambered and put back. Look at where the roll stamp is. That roll stamp should be on the top of the barrel when it is properly screwed into the receiver.

Right now it ain't worth spit.

rick

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889759717 Not only has the formerly-blued barrel been removed and re-installed at a 90 degree rotation, but the stock has been refinished. I can't believe that the bids have gone this high for a non-original gun, even if there were only 354 of them made.

I've handled and even test-fired this one (quite accurate) https://www.sakosource.com/-1702s--mar422.html
With the exception of the taps on the barrel for a target scope mount it looked pretty well original with the bluing on the stainless barrel (yes, certain stainless steel can be blued) still in nice condition.

Well, if it shoots good I'd trade you spit for it but certainly not what is being asked.

Any collector value has been destroyed. Also, you can't seriously call it a Model 422 any longer because it has been bastardized rather severely. The thing at this point is really only worth the value of the receiver simply because it can be repurposed or parted out.

rick

Back