• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New old 222 rifle!!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

They have everything listed as in stock but when you try to buy you can't. I received my 222 dies today and will try converting 223 to 222 soon!!!

Just ordered 200 cases. I'm still going to do 223 to 222 as I now know how to do it safely. I want to know I can do it so if I have to I can!!! Thanks to all who contributed!!!

Did you check Starline? They have 222 brass listed as in stock.
Starline is very good brass. However they had some spotty problems with their .222 brass being tight in some early Sako .222 chambers. They sent out samples to several members here on SCC to check in their Sako chambers. I had no problem with a couple of L461's, but had one L46 which chambered with difficulty and one L46 which refused to chamber the Starline brass. It appears that some early L46 chambers were very tight. I'm figuring that a trip through the FL die would solve the problem for a tight-chambered L46, but if you do happen to order any Starline .222 brass it's good to be aware of this. Here is the thread on this subject: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/th...-in-sako-vixen-need-testers.13864/#post-73590

Thanks for the heads-up. My saco 222 was made in the early 50s and is a light gun probably a vixen. Fortunately the brass I finally found was not starline. Once I get the gun back from the gun store (waiting on clearance) I will download some photos. The gun has a metal circular cilander like piece at the front of the forstock that might interfere with smooth reaction to recoil on my front sand bag. I thought this might be a screw in position for a monopod or bipod. Not sure!!

Thanks for the heads-up. My saco 222 was made in the early 50s and is a light gun probably a vixen. Fortunately the brass I finally found was not starline. Once I get the gun back from the gun store (waiting on clearance) I will download some photos. The gun has a metal circular cilander like piece at the front of the forstock that might interfere with smooth reaction to recoil on my front sand bag. I thought this might be a screw in position for a monopod or bipod. Not sure!!
Sounds like a post for a QD sling swivel.

The adventure continues. I got my 222 bullets today. They sent me 50 rounds of 222 MAG instead. You cannot return ammunition even if they made the mistake!!! I could have ordered it not realizing it was MAG. Can I shoot this stuff without blowing my fool head off???? If not can I take it apart & reuse the brass and bullets??? Is it a different case??? If so, can I reform it like a 223 to 222. 222MAG to 222??? Oh!! I got the approval and am on the way to pick up the little vixen!!! (Such a cool name for a rifle)

.222 Magnum is a larger capacity case than a .222. It will not chamber in a regular .222 rifle. It is similar to a .223 but NOT interchangeable. Bullets would be usable for .222 and the cases could be re-formed like the .223's. Maybe a local dealer would take the ammo in trade for something you can use, but .222 Magnum is an uncommon cartridge and nobody is currently making rifles in that caliber. As far as I know, the only builders of .222 Mag rifles were Remington, Sako, and Steyr. You might get lucky and your local dealer has a customer who shoots .222 Magnum.

As far as I know, the only builders of .222 Mag rifles were Remington, Sako, and Steyr
Add Krico, Kimber of Oregon, Birmingham Small Arms to the list, as well as T/C barrels for their Contender. I'm sure there are probably others. Browning, for instance, if you count it separately from Sako.

So, here's the little vexin herself. Made by Sako for Marlin. It has a Bushnell scope-chief 10x. Serial number 15490. It's a Marlin model 322 (at first I thought the gun shop screwed up the paperwork 322 instead of 222). The rifle is also ingraved with the words "micro-groove" ?? Also made in Finland. I think I've attached the photos!!! There is some damage to the stock. Total cost with fees $550.00

Well!!! It turns out the 322 used the Sako action but Marlin completed the rifle with an American stock and barrel!!! It seems I've misrepresented the rifle!!! I also found out the barrel could be shot out as they've been known to shoot out in as little as 500 rounds. The thing that attracted me to the 222 cartridge was it's reputation for having a long barrel life!!! Once I've formed the brass, loaded the rounds, I'll finally be off to the range!!! I may not have a long barrel life but this rifle has taught me alot!!!

The Marlin/Sako that you want to get your mitts on is the Model 422. It has a stainless barrel and they didn't use micro grove rifling in the tube. They are marked stainless on the barrel. Marlin only made a handful so they are kind of hard to get but you won't be disappointed if you find one in good shape.

rick

Thanks rick!!! I think I'll play the hand I'm given and see what I can do with my little Marlin 322 vexin chambered in 222!!!

So, I'm converting 223 brass to 222. I've done 6 cases so far. Each case has a pinch wrinkle or 2 in it (not a lube bump). The back of my brain says this is a bad thing. Is the back of my brain right??? I took a pick but can't seem to get it to upload properly!!

I told you to use a case form die. Also the notion that you run the case in the die taking several strokes to form the case is incorrect. It works the brass and makes it brittle. One stroke pushing the case all the way into the form die is all it will take to properly size the case. Then all you need do is to trim the case in you are in business. Once again I have been doing case forming for over 50 plus years. So be smart and take my advice.

The FL die is sizing the neck so it will be the proper diameter (after the ID button on the decapping rod is removed). The problem is that the FL die is fully sizing the case. That is what is causing the problem you are experiencing. So when you use a form die the next step is to run the case into a FL or Neck die to properly size the case neck once the decapping rod is pulled out of the case. This sizes the inside of the case neck to the proper diameter for bullet seating.

Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number so we can talk.

rick

Reactions: FLT
Back