• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Deluxe L579 w/Fishgods

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
https://www.sakosource.com/-1718rs-fishgods.html

This very early Deluxe .243 has just been posted on the SakoSource website. It seems to have all of the goodies of the earliest L579's like the half-moon floorplate release, flat bolt knob, grooved bolt shroud, etc., but this one also has the rarely-seen "Weatherby slant" on the contrasting fore end.

My question is about the "Fishgods" floorplate. It seems that there are two versions of this; one has just two "eyes" (small round dots), while the other has three "eyes". This is a three eye version. Does anyone have a photo of a two eye version?

I may be wrong, but I question if the butt pad is genuine Sako or a close copy. Just does not look right for a match to that serial number. Would you experts please share your knowledge and opinions please? Sakojim.

Pad is definitely a replacement. Probably one our friend in Montana sells. You can see in the pics that the pad to stock edge is not quite flush & from installing several of these pads, I can tell by the color & texture it is one of those pads. They say Sako on them, but they are a poor quality pad.

The seller agrees with you guys on the pad. His description says it "looks too good to be that old" and is probably a replacement.

Pad is definitely a replacement. Probably one our friend in Montana sells. You can see in the pics that the pad to stock edge is not quite flush & from installing several of these pads, I can tell by the color & texture it is one of those pads. They say Sako on them, but they are a poor quality pad.
I saw that. I was just responding to sakojim's question. Previous owner probably had it done. I doubt sakosource would do it as he would probably not get the extra cost back when he sells it. Those pads go for $150 with shipping. Add the cost to install and your talking over $200.

It looks like a Pachmayr pad to me. The L579 on the bottom has a Sako replacement pad on it from Custom Shop. The L46 has a Pachmayr.

GGLkvDE.jpg

It looks like a Pachmayr pad to me.
Nope, I checked it out in person and it is a genuine Sako pad.

But nobody responded to my question about the Fishgods floorplates. Does anyone have a photo of a two-eyed, or even a one-eyed, Fishgods floorplate?

I recently scored a similar version on Gunbroker. This one is a 1960 vintage in .243 serial # 149XX. It has the same slanted fore end, half moon release and flat bolt knob but this one has a checkered bolt shroud and a deer in forest floor plate. The recoil pad has been replaced with a Pacmayr.

It came with a 2 1/2-6X Nickel Supra scope, which I have been trying to find some more information on.

l579 5.jpg L579 cc.jpg

Stone, I just double-checked and, alas, I have the 3-eyed version myself. Never seen a 2 or 1 either!

It came with a 2 1/2-6X Nickel Supra scope, which I have been trying to find some more information on.
Not sure what information you're looking for, but B.Nickel of Marburg is or was a maker of high-quality scopes. They are as sharp and bright as a newer scope, but somewhat more prone to flare because the newer coatings are better. Tubes were 26mm rather than 1" (25.4mm). Hopefully whoever set up that rifle didn't cram the scope into 1" rings. I see it is in Redfield type mounts and 26mm rings are available for those mounts, so you've got a good chance it was done right. Your scope looks a lot like the one on my FN-Sako .30-06.
06 Scope Left.JPG

Thanks for the information. I wasn’t sure what to expect since I had never heard of a Nickel Supra scope before. I wasn’t expecting much and was very pleased with the image quality of this scope. It’s not far behind my Kahles and Swarovski scopes in comparison. I expect it’s the same vintage as the rifle. This rifle doesn’t have any import markings.

I did find an online chat that said Nickel scopes were not sold in stores but were sold to law enforcement and target shooters directly from the factory.
I also found a website with prices. I see the modern version of this scope, a 1 1/2x6x42 has a price tag of 1693 euros.

http://nickel-ag.com/

These scope bases are Redfield but I’m not sure who made the rings. I have never seen a set of Redfield rings like these. Hopefully they are 26MM. I did pick up a set of Delrin ring inserts in case I want to change the mounting. It’s not real pretty like it is but it works.

DSC_0597.JPG

I’ve not changed anything on this rifle yet except to add the missing sight hood. I had intended to swap scopes and put the proper bases and rings on but I decided to use this outfit as is on my deer hunt last month and I grew to like it. I was able to see horns on a little spike buck at 400 yd with this scope. That impressed me. (I didn't shoot the spike)
I may just clean it up and leave it as it is for now.

I recently scored a similar version on Gunbroker.
Yours has the "Two Deer in Trees" floorplate pattern. There is also a single-deer and even a three-deer variation of this one, but the two-deer is the one most often seen.

By the way, if those deer look like whitetails there's a good reason: Finland has a good population of whitetails, first imported there in early 20th century.

Interesting. Was there any rhyme or reason to the various floor plates? Were they specific to caliber or time frame?
I’ve only owned one other Deluxe. It was a .30-06 with a Sakolope floor plate.

I’ll say one thing, I’m VERY pleased with the way this one it shoots but I honestly expected it to shoot well. In my 43 yr of shooting Sako rifles, I’ve yet to have one that won’t shoot sub-MOA with my handloads.
This one has been rode hard and put away wet but it’s still a superb shooter.

7E80F686-E175-4867-A71D-037D131E7692.jpeg I’ve only seen, or noticed may be a better word, the version with three dots or eyes. May well have missed any one or two eyed versions.

Here are two of my L57 Deluxes in .308, now residing in Oz.:( Three eyed version both of them.

Jim

Thanks for the information. I wasn’t sure what to expect since I had never heard of a Nickel Supra scope before. I wasn’t expecting much and was very pleased with the image quality of this scope. It’s not far behind my Kahles and Swarovski scopes in comparison. I expect it’s the same vintage as the rifle. This rifle doesn’t have any import markings.

I did find an online chat that said Nickel scopes were not sold in stores but were sold to law enforcement and target shooters directly from the factory.
I also found a website with prices. I see the modern version of this scope, a 1 1/2x6x42 has a price tag of 1693 euros.

http://nickel-ag.com/

These scope bases are Redfield but I’m not sure who made the rings. I have never seen a set of Redfield rings like these. Hopefully they are 26MM. I did pick up a set of Delrin ring inserts in case I want to change the mounting. It’s not real pretty like it is but it works.

View attachment 20961

I’ve not changed anything on this rifle yet except to add the missing sight hood. I had intended to swap scopes and put the proper bases and rings on but I decided to use this outfit as is on my deer hunt last month and I grew to like it. I was able to see horns on a little spike buck at 400 yd with this scope. That impressed me. (I didn't shoot the spike)
I may just clean it up and leave it as it is for now.
If it was my rifle, I'd probably keep the scope and find a pair of original Sako 26mm rings to remount it. The gun deserves real Sako rings; SakoSource might have a set. Medium is probably tall enough for that scope; OD is about 41mm. I'm quite happy with the two B.Nickel-Marburg scopes I have. It doesn't look like the tube has been crushed by the rings; you'll want to examine it closely to be sure. I've seen some very nice 26mm scopes pretty badly messed up when Bubba muscled them into 1" rings, but it looks like you've dodged that particular bullet.

That's a very nice looking rifle with a floorplate that's out of the ordinary. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the good advice. I hadn’t thought about the old style Sako rings in 26MM. That’s a great idea. I’ll keep an eye out for some but my sense is that I’m more likely to find a nest of unicorn eggs in my shower.

I think I will keep this scope on the rifle. The more I use it, the better I like it. This scope was a very pleasant surprise since I had no idea what Nickel scopes were prior to buying this scope/rifle combo online. I have to do something about these rings and bases though.

I’ve decided to pick up a set of 30MM Leupold Std rings. I already have a set of Delrin inserts and I have a set of short action Redfield SR bases. All I need are rings.

I’ve not used Delrin inserts like this before so if there is anything I should know that isn’t readily apparent, I would greatly appreciate a heads up.

This should work out well. I’m partial to the turn-in style mounts anyway. I have that style on my other Sakos. I used the old style Sako rings in my early years but have gradually transitioned to the Redfield SR style bases and rings. Just my preference. I’m more shooter than collector.

I’ll keep an eye out for some but my sense is that I’m more likely to find a nest of unicorn eggs in my shower.
Actually, they turn up on eBay or Gunbroker fairly often. Not all the time, but you can score a pair if you keep your eyes open. And you might just get lucky at a big gun show in Phoenix.

I hadn’t thought about the old style Sako rings in 26MM. That’s a great idea. I’ll keep an eye out for some but my sense is that I’m more likely to find a nest of unicorn eggs in my shower.
I'm pretty sure that Rodger at SakoSource has some. Not certain what height.

I did locate a set of the old style Sako rings but they aren’t the split ring style. I didn’t know Sako made rings like this. These are a single band type with screws on one side like the old Weaver rings. I’ve never cared for that band type as I’ve always had trouble with the scope rotating slightly when I tightened the ring.

In any case, since I already have the Redfield SR short action bases and some Delrin inserts, I’m going to use them. I found a set of 30MM Leupold Std low rings on ebay which should be on the way to me as I write this.

Back