• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello from SW Pennsylvania

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Smoked-06

Hi all, I used this forum to find out some info on a 30-06 finnbear that I saw in a local gun shop this weekend. Well I ended up picking it up so here I am! Ive never been much into bolt action rifles, I am more into handguns and semi autos, but I recognized the sako name on the tag so I did a little bit of digging. She's for sure not in perfect condition but I thought it was good enough for me, needless to say Im happy to join this community and Im looking forward to learning more about my finnbear!

Smoked-06 Welcome to this group of Sako aficiones . You are sure to find all of the information you ever need; by reading through the forums or asking a direct question posed to the resident experts. A word of caution Sakoitis is addictive. Wayne

You've got a nice pre-1972 Finnbear with a fine old Leupold scope on it in a great hunting caliber. Too bad about the split at the fore end, but it probably won't impact accuracy or the rifle's utility. You can get a replacement grip cap from https://gungrip.com/search.aspx?find=Sako. But the very first thing you need to do is replace those gawdawful "see through" scope mounts with a set of "mediums" from Leupold or an original set of Sako ringmounts that are contemporary with the gun (check with www.sakosource.com for these).

You've got a nice pre-1972 Finnbear with a fine old Leupold scope on it in a great hunting caliber. Too bad about the split at the fore end, but it probably won't impact accuracy or the rifle's utility. You can get a replacement grip cap from https://gungrip.com/search.aspx?find=Sako. But the very first thing you need to do is replace those gawdawful "see through" scope mounts with a set of "mediums" from Leupold or an original set of Sako ringmounts that are contemporary with the gun (check with www.sakosource.com for these).
Thank you, thats one of the first things i noticed about it was the scope mounts lol. I got it for $650 and to me it didnt seem like a bad deal, I was seeing rem 700 bdl's and win model 70's for the same price. Would you recommend trying to get the stock repaired and the recoil pad replaced or just leave it as is?

Thank you, thats one of the first things i noticed about it was the scope mounts lol. I got it for $650 and to me it didnt seem like a bad deal, I was seeing rem 700 bdl's and win model 70's for the same price. Would you recommend trying to get the stock repaired and the recoil pad replaced or just leave it as is?

I definitely agree with Stonecreek's advice to change out the scope mounts. Unfortunately, it appears that the see-through mounts were installed by drilling holes in the bridges, which are checkered. You'll want to put in filler screws. Proper Sako mounts will at least partially cover the holes. That would be an outrage on a collectible Sako, but on a shooter I wouldn't call it that big a deal. The Williams rear sight was likely added by a previous owner. Sako did use quite a few Williams sights, but I've never seen one on a Sako that old. The front sight is original Sako. Rifles of that vintage were equipped with front sights to use with a Sako peep sight that clamped onto the rear dovetail. You're lucky to have the original hood. They are often missing and originals are hard to find. If you don't want it, somebody on this Forum will buy it.

If you don't mind spending the money, I'd go ahead and fix the chip in the stock and replace the pad. It will be fine to hunt with as is, but there's a certain pride in owning a gun that looks its best. Sometimes owners don't want to replace an original Sako marked pad if the rifle is collectible, but that really only applies to high-condition rifles in rare calibers such as .300 H&H. A shooter grade .30-06 will have its value improved, not diminished, by installing a new pad. Pachmayr makes pads that resemble the original. You got your rifle at a very reasonable price, considering that the Leupold was included. That leaves you free to spend some money to improve the appearance and fix it up to your taste.

Back