• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What are the chances...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

lord frith

...of a .375 AV barrel from 1986 screwing onto a 1984 AV receiver and have everything line up and headspace? I keep reading of bolt switches between rifles and having them headspace correctly, so it was only a short step from there to my question.
Eh?

Stephen

I have been able to swap bolts between L46 rifles and screw a .17 barrel from an AI onto a L46 action with headspacing staying within specification.
Also have swapped bolts between a AII and L579 without needing to adjust headspacing.
As such I believe it would be worthwhile checking to see.
There is a risk the barrel indexing might not line up when the barrel is swapped between actions but you won't know unless you give it a go......

Beings headspace tolerance is .004" the chances of another barrel screwing in without issues is remote. The chances of it screwing in and being indexed where the stampings & extractor relief are lined up properly is near impossible. It's not that big of a deal to have a smith index & headspace it, so your concern is inconsequential. Bolt changes you can luck out with. Barrel changes are a different animal. If you try it, let us know!!

Last edited:
Beings headspace tolerance is .004" the chances of another barrel screwing in without issues is remote. The chances of it screwing in an being indexed where the stampings & extractor relief are lined up properly is near impossible. It's not that big of a deal to have a smith index & headspace it, so your concern is inconsequential. Bolt changes you can luck out with. Barrel changes are a different animal. If you try it, let us know!!
Will be doing this swap tomorrow, and will scribe a post mortem.

Stephen

Pulled old, screwed new on and need .0078" for sight index. Will be finished tomorrow.
Stephen
Just picked the newly barreled action. My friend/gunsmith indicated removing .0075" from the barrel shoulder allowed him to index sights and headspace without touching the breech. Very pleased with how quickly all this transpired.
Forty-eight or so hours, not too bad.
Stephen

So, your saying that when the sights indexed the headspace was also within spec & no chamber reaming was needed?
Apparently the chamber was not touched. The breech was not machined, the 375 stamp and bluing intact. Pretty cool, eh? I did stick a fired case in the chamber and all seemed good with bolt, extraction, and ejection.
Stephen

Phenomenal!!!! Would have never guess that could happen. That's a matter of the screw threads starting in almost the exact same place on the receiver, the face of the barrel being machined the same, the bolt recesses being the same & the bolt being the exact same length. Sako just made my jaw drop!!

Phenomenal!!!! Would have never guess that could happen. That's a matter of the screw threads starting in almost the exact same place on the receiver, the face of the barrel being machined the same, the bolt recesses being the same & the bolt being the exact same length. Sako just made my jaw drop!!
PC,
Mine too. When I bought the AV and discovered a bulged barrel my thoughts immediately slipped into the pond of despair. Where and am I going to find another .375 Sako barrel? Did usual searches of barrel makers, and was in the "checkout" line when, on a simple fluke, I gave Gunbroker a look. Stunned to find a Sako .375 barrel in Alaska and purchased same a few days later.
Screwing a barrel from a year later than the action on and having all index was not in my thinking at this time. I understand machining and most of what is required to re-barrel, and only on the 15 minute trip to my GS friend's home did I slightly entertain a vision of what occurred actually passing muster. Well, it did, and now you all have the denouement.
Thanks all for reading and or commenting.
Stephen

Back