• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Never Was A Mannlicher Fan

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kirkbridgershooters

I never did understand why anyone would put a wood stock all the way to the end of the barrel. I never cared for the look and what it can do to barrel harmonics can hurt accuracy. As I have aged and looked at the different features of guns, I have grown to like the Mannlicher much the same as I have become a fan of the Finnwolf.

I don't ever see myself having many Mannlicher rifles, these spoke to me for varying reasons and I had to get them. The latest is the 22-250, which I wasn't looking for, but when I found it, it does fit into the same era as the other 2. The second rifle is a 223 and I had to get it because of the scarceness of that configuration. The third is scarce as well to find a rifle length Mannlicher of this era is difficult and not only that but in 222 Magnum...

thumbnail_IMG_8497.jpg

My bad, as usual my fingers got ahead of my brain. Still very nice. Seeing how that rifle length would shoot will show that mannlicher's can keep up.

Nice trio, and all of them pretty rare. I am a fan of Mannlicher-style stocks, and I'm on the lookout for a rifle-length, full-stock .222 Magnum like that one. I always found it ironic that for years I've had a rifle-length full-stock .222 and a carbine-length full-stock .222 Magnum, when it is the Magnum that would benefit most from the additional barrel length.

I have fallen in love with the mannlichers. I'd love one in 223 and something bigger for deer other than 308. They seem to be hard to come by in Australia. I think with a soft shooting rest to protect the timber when shootinh in the ute, it would make a fantastic varminter with the extra weight. I do like the look of the shorter barrels. I did manage to find some that sold in Australia in the last 10 years but have not seen anything for sale in the last two. That's going to be a difficult conversation with the wife when one pops up because it's never at a convenient time is it? :D I have been banned from buying any more rifles this year, lol.

I've always been a fan. My dream now is to build a scale AI hunter style Kokotuki stock for my P94s. Southpenders M-78 planted that seed. OK, I want an AI full stock too. 17 rem would be tits! Anyone ever seen one?

I've always been a fan. My dream now is to build a scale AI hunter style Kokotuki stock for my P94s. Southpenders M-78 planted that seed. OK, I want an AI full stock too. 17 rem would be tits! Anyone ever seen one?
For me the perfect Sako would be a Classic full-stock with the classic style buttstock (no Monte Carlo), oil finish, highly figured dark walnut, and wrap-around checkering. Caliber could be most any, but especially .222/.222 mag, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 7x57, 7x64, or 9.3x62. Maybe someday, I'll have a custom done along those lines.

I never did understand why anyone would put a wood stock all the way to the end of the barrel.

I've always been a little ambivalent about the looks (appearance) of full-stocked carbines... and I've not really handled any except for maybe a 6.5x54 M-S briefly back in the late '70s sometime...

But I've never really understood the theory behind that approach in the first place. Add more wood to create a lighter rifle? Ummm...???

-Chris

Not sure the exact weight of the wood that would be added to the total weight of this rifle. I would guess it would not be much. This rig, unloaded, weighs but 6 pounds, 14 ounces. Chambered in .308, she does have a slight bite for recoil. The extra weight gained from wood to the muzzle would likely not be felt in recoil. But it sure would like better, at least to my eye.
Rem 600 VR.JPG

Latest posts

Back