• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Some direction please

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have a LN four digit Deluxe in 06 that is about as blonde as I have seen them. Kind of grows on you after a bit.

I have emailed him. I will give him a call on Monday to ask about the rifle. It's a beauty. I wasn't sure about the blonde colored wood at first, as I tend to like the darker, cherry colored woods more, but that thing is a real looker.
Sako and Tikka deluxe rifles generally use blonde to light-brown wood, and all except the very earliest have skip-line checkering. That style of checkering is quite popular for high-grade rifles in Germany and Austria; Steyr and Anschütz are examples. I personally prefer fine-line, borderless checkering, but that's just my personal taste. Some of the wood is very well figured and even spectacular, but most of it is excellent quality but relatively plain. The wood in standard grade guns is also highly variable. Most of it is quite plain, with maybe a little bit of interesting grain or figure, but occasionally something pops up with amazing wood. The "Classic" series of rifles typically have very nice wood that is darker than that on the Deluxes. You will frequently see rifles advertised as "Sako Classic" or "Classic Sako" that are not the Classic model at all, but the seller just likes the word Classic to describe his Sako. A real Sako Classic is an A-series rifle with a classic-style straight comb stock where the cheekpiece does not rise above the line in a Monte Carlo. The second rifle you have been looking at on GI appears to be a genuine Classic. These guns are not often seen; apparently rather few were made. I've got my eye open for one with really spectacular wood, but I imagine it will be a while before I find one, if ever.

The old short-action L46 rifles were typically stocked with oil-finished, medium-colored French walnut. They frequently exhibit some striping and/or fiddleback in the grain.

Here are two photos showing Finnish stock wood. The first is a deluxe grade Tikka from the 1970;s, before the company merged with Sako. The wood is actually a bit lighter than it appears in the photo, which is underexposed. The second is a standard grade L461 carbine with unusual wood. I picked it up off Gunbroker a couple of years ago. I figure I paid a couple of hundred extra for that wood, but to me it was worth it. The third photo is a fairly typical L46 from the 1950's, with a bit of striping and contrast in the wood.

222 Phase One-2.JPG
Carbine 2.JPG
L46FS-1.jpg

Back