• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R query

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

wombat

Hello,
I hope someone can shed some light on this question I have.
I have just got an L61R in 7mm Rem Mag. S/n 81xxx.
It has the pin on the left side of the bolt, which from my research and what I have learned from this site, it is a “74 super” ie. made after 1974.
Looking at the s/n and dates on the SAko list, and I know it’s “only indicative.
L61R s/n 90954 ended on 12.09.73.
So is my s/n well before that date?
It has Garcia Corp. stamped under the barrel.
I look forward to any ideas of date of mfg..
Thanks...Jay

Jay,Hard to say when it was made but I would guess 1973 . I have a 25-06 which seems to be a transition rifle that has the pin and serial 83067. Seems yours may have been also. The model L61R model 74 super serials were supposed to have started 500,000 . Jim Sako L61R 25-06 83067 (2).jpg

Attachments

• Sako L61R 25-06 83067 (3).jpg
    Sako L61R 25-06 83067 (3).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
Jay, I agree with Jim and without members like him stepping forward with full #`s and documentation. It is difficult to answer questions like yours. Although with Sako it is usually making your best guess. Wayne

Thanks for feedback guys, I reckon 73 would be close to a mfg. date.
Look after yourselves over there.
Jay

Hi all,
Just been doing a bit more research on my L61R s/n 811## in 7mm RM
I’m thinking it’s def. a transition rifle, 1973, has the pin on the LHS of the bolt,
And the checkered flats on the dovetails, now comparing to my L61R .270W s/n 912##, the 7mm RM has not got the hi gloss blue to the barrel and the action also has a more subdued blue and does not seem to be as highly polished in the metal.
Has any one got a similar L61R around this date range that can also confirm that their rifle has the more subdued bluing.
Mine also appears the have the “sticky dull stock finish” that I think was also on some of the stocks in this era.
Look forward to any more comments on another interesting Sako mfg. time.
Jay

The serial numbers tell you little or nothing about the date of manufacture. The torque pin in the LH side of the bolt is simply a manufacturing feature and NOT particular to the "Model 74 Super", which was largely a marketing name. Check your receivers to see if either have recesses for the third (rear) lug, which they may or may not. Some L61R actions in this serial number range actually have three-lug receivers and bolts.

Nothing about Sako production is strictly linear, whether it is features, finishes, or serial numbers. Most manufacturers would make "bright line" changes, meaning a feature was dropped or added on a certain date and serial numbers were assigned in chronological order, which is why many people just can't wrap their heads around Sako's mix-and-match of features, model names, and hodgepodge of non-consectutive numbers.

Since the original rifle in question is in Australia does the Model 72 or 74 even come in to question. I thought those models were introduced for the US market only. Seems Australia has access to some of the more desirable pieces we don't even get to see here.

Since the original rifle in question is in Australia does the Model 72 or 74 even come in to question. I thought those models were introduced for the US market only.
The U.S. market conditions probably influenced Sako to produce the Model 72, but the 72's were distributed many other places than just the U.S. according to the shipping records.

Interesting Stone, I will check out the receiver later, definitely has not got the third lug,.
By the way......I got this rifle thru Rodger at SakoSource and got it imported to Australia 2-3 mths ago. Garcia stamp on the barrel.
Maybe any other Aussie members mite chime in, if they have a M72.
I’m sure there is?
I recently saw an L61R in .264W, it had the flat top dovetails and other M72 features.
Yep...there are a lot of variations, and that’s what makes Older Sako’s interesting, desirable and collectable.
Jay

Latest posts

Back