• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Forester with early L46-style stock?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873597858

Here is an L579 which is wearing a stock with the configuration of the earlier L46 stocks -- no Monte Carlo and a shadow line cheekpiece. From the checkering pattern and buttplate it is obviously an original Sako stock.

My question is whether it came this way from the factory or whether it has been re-worked to resemble the "Riihimaki" stock? I have an opinion, but I'll hold it until others have had a chance to look it over and post their observations.

No comment on the price -- that's not the subject of this post.

If it was a 461 I'd say it was just made with a left over 46 stock. Being a 579 I'm stumped. My four digit 57 has a stock like all my early 579's. It is a heavy barrel .243 though.

Just a guess or stab in the dark as all I have to go on is pictures, but it appears to be a L46 stock re-inletted for a L579 barreled action if that is possible. Rear points of the forearm checkering go back past the barrel/action junction & width of bottom metal exceeds the "flat" part of the stock a little bit. Crossbolt is set a little deeper than the factory would have on a true L579 stock. Why someone went to all that work & not properly fit the grip cap is a mystery to me. I like the looks of it better than a real L579 stock.

Like Paulson, I also ponder whether it might be a re-worked L46 stock. However, I'm leaning toward it being a re-shaped L579 stock. The fore end tip is not quite "right" for an L46 to my eye. Also, the crossbolt appears to be factory (even though it is a bit deeper set than most). If it is an L46 stock then the fitter would have to have scavenged a crossbolt from another stock -- of course, it could possibly have come from the original L579 stock.

On the other hand, the cheekpiece appears to be a perfect duplication of an L46 stock, which would be very hard to do. The only thing I'm reasonably sure of is that it is not an original factory stock which came on an L579.

Just a guess or stab in the dark as all I have to go on is pictures, but it appears to be a L46 stock re-inletted for a L579 barreled action if that is possible. Rear points of the forearm checkering go back past the barrel/action junction & width of bottom metal exceeds the "flat" part of the stock a little bit. Crossbolt is set a little deeper than the factory would have on a true L579 stock. Why someone went to all that work & not properly fit the grip cap is a mystery to me. I like the looks of it better than a real L579 stock.
So, how many times have we been warned not to trust anything regarding Sako's lineage and styles. Since Sako wasted nothing could not this be an example of such? Pretty obvious the poor thing has been over-sanded many times. I've a L46 with the same grip cap shrinkage. I wonder how that occurs?

It certainly doesn’t look like something a craftsman at the Sako factory would have done.
Fore end tip, wrist both sides and cheek piece all look odd.
Overall, the lines look wrong.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen an unmolested factory stock that hasn’t looked ‘right’.

Back