• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member and New Owner

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BamaGreg

Hi to all, I just today bought my 2nd Sako rifle (My first one was an A-III in 375 H&H that I sold a few years ago). The rifle I bought today is a shooter grade L57 (s/n 81XX) chambered in 308. It has been tinkered with by a gunsmith probably many years ago and has an unusual Mannlicher stock on it. The action has been drilled for Weaver bases and it came with an old Redfield 3-9X Widefield scope on it. I haven't measured it yet but it appears to be a 19-20" barrel. I know it has no collector value but it is a cool old rifle that will be unique in the hunting camp. I'm sure this forum will be fun to hang out on.

The L57 came in a Mannlincher configuration, but without pics we can't tell you if your's is factory or custom. My only recommendation is to remove the Weaver bases, hold them between your index finger & thumb over the nearest trash receptacle & release them. Then get a set of Leupold or Vintage Sako ringmounts that clamp directly to the Sako dovetails. Welcome!

The L57 came in a Mannlincher configuration, but without pics we can't tell you if your's is factory or custom. My only recommendation is to remove the Weaver bases, hold them between your index finger & thumb over the nearest trash receptacle & release them. Then get a set of Leupold or Vintage Sako ringmounts that clamp directly to the Sako dovetails. Welcome!
A11FCA65-F5C4-4DB0-8BE8-2CE44A00F683.jpeg A11FCA65-F5C4-4DB0-8BE8-2CE44A00F683.jpeg

Nice marbelled wood in that stock. Never seen a vent rib on a rifle like that. Looks like something that would be on a shotgun.

Never seen a vent rib on a rifle like that.
The original Remington 600 came with a plastic full length rib, but you're right, such ribs are rarely seen on rifles.

The stock coloring on Bamagreg's rifle reminds me of flamed birch. Someone obviously put a lot of work into this rifle -- although the builder's taste probably doesn't match that of most others. I second the thought "that it will be unique in the hunting camp"!

I like your new rifle bamagreg. Interesting one of a kind for sure. Does that have original sako barrel

From just looking at the pics, my guess is the "figure" in that stock was created by the builder & not natural to the wood. I could be wrong & it does give a unique look, but I would like to examine it in person before assuming it is "natural". Stained in tiger stripes are common on custom muzzleloaders & the technique isn't difficult, but having an "artistic" touch helps. The snake pattern in the buttstock surrounded by straight vertical bars with the natural grain going horizontal thru them all would be near impossible to find in natural wood growth. Close up pic would help.

Yes, Sako People,
I tend to agree with Marc. Please let us see some very close - up photo's of that gorgeous stock!
Blackjack

Very unique custom. The Simmons rib is sort of a blast from the past, maybe reminiscent of a 600 series Remington as stonecreek has mentioned. Simmons is still installing ribs on shotguns, perhaps they do other custom work as well. They were very well known for their work on model 12 Winchester shotguns. I have a 20ga model 12 with their rib. Obviously someone spent a good sum putting the package together. Looks like a fun little Mannlicher.

I think Paulson is probably right about the figure in the stock. That sort of figure is quite common in Finnish military rifles, especially the m/39 with its stock of Arctic birch. In the case of the military rifles, the figure is produced by natural variations in the wood's absorption of the finish (a mixture of pine tar, linseed oil, and maybe a couple of other things). I imagine the process could be manipulated, or the stock maker could just give it a shot and see what happens.

Both of these rifles were built by Sako. The one on top bears a Suojeluskunta (Civil Guard) cartouche, the other a Sako gearwheel.
Stock 1-1.JPG Stock 1-2.JPG Stock 2-1.JPG Stock 2-2.JPG.JPG

Thanks for sharing those photos, Bamagreg. Your rifle exhibits some obviously high-quality work.

Back