• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Pre-Garcia 25-06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

hunter718

Hello-Just purchased a Sako 25-06.I think it is pre-garcia because of the bolt knob being straight. The serial number is around 94,000 if memory is correct. I bought because 25-06 is one of my favorite calibers along with the 280. The bluing is good with wear on very edges and the stock has some dings but nothing serious. The worst dings is from being in a gun rack near the rear of action. I would rate it around 95% if I had to put a number on it. Can anyone enlighten me on if it is a pre-garcia and some kind of value on it? I don't have it here at the moment to get exact serial. Thanks in advance.

Voldemort! (Also a word which should not be spoken.) Some members will chuff at you for asking, some will be obtuse in their reply, all will say show us pix (ok, me). Most will say if you're pleased with the purchase, then you set the value. Others will suggest going to the gun auction sites and look up completed sales on like models. I wish you well on your quest.

Congrats.

Well I went on here reading everything I could find on a "Pre-Garcia" 25-06 Sako and have come with it doesn't seem to exist. I still have my 1972 sako 222 that I purchased new after the 1972 flood. I recently bought a Rihiimaki 222 just because I always liked them but never had one and already had a 222. I've owned a 270 pencil and a 7Mag that is in a friends collection. I am mostly going on memory which is close to 74 years old or young so you can take it as memory. "May be right or maybe wrong.

Hi Hunter and welcome. As with anything you will need to provide some very detailed pictures of your 25-06. Lately we have been having a discussion on valuing Sako pieces because we generally do not receive sufficient photos to properly value the piece in question. That is one reason we have been trying to refer folks to the various auction sites so they can get a real feel for the marketplace and what Sako pieces like theirs are commanding in terms of price.

My recommendation is to go to GunBroker, GI, Proxibid to get a real feel for what your Sako is actually worth. If you still want our opinion I urge you to look at several of these sites and provide at least 10 to 12 detailed pics so we can see what you have and assess the piece.

Other than that, if you are happy with the 25-06 and believe that you paid a fair price for it then be happy because you actually have the rifle in hand and can assess its condition relative to the price that you paid for it.

rick

Reactions: FLT
Nope. Such doesn't exist. The Club's factory records show the first .25-06's were imported to the U.S. in 1971 (iirc), but none of them went to Firearms International. All went to Garcia. If yours came through the normal channels and was not a bringback by a G.I. from Europe, then it should have the importer etched lightly on the underside of the barrel.

Your straight (not slightly swept) bolt handle indicates that yours is probably a Model 72, which was introduced as a very slightly economized version of the standard sporter. Model 72's had a lot of mix-and-match features, but among them were straight bolt handle, uncheckered flats on the tops of the dovetails, two-point checkering pattern on the pistol grip, and a plain black plastic grip cap. Most had open sights; some of the earliest ones had skipline checkering (but a bit coarser than that on the Deluxe models). They were only produced in about a year-and-a-half period which may have begun as early as very late 1971 and ended in 1973.

The .25-06 is a highly desirable caliber in a Sako. A .25-06 will typically bring a small premium over some other more common calibers, all things being equal. You should be happy to own it regardless of exactly which model it is or who it was that imported it.

Hello-Just purchased a Sako 25-06.I think it is pre-garcia because of the bolt knob being straight. The serial number is around 94,000 if memory is correct. I bought because 25-06 is one of my favorite calibers along with the 280. The bluing is good with wear on very edges and the stock has some dings but nothing serious. The worst dings is from being in a gun rack near the rear of action. I would rate it around 95% if I had to put a number on it. Can anyone enlighten me on if it is a pre-garcia and some kind of value on it? I don't have it here at the moment to get exact serial. Thanks in advance.
Look in Sako long/magnum section and on page 6 of 56 and you will find a good discussion on your question.

Nope. Such doesn't exist. The Club's factory records show the first .25-06's were imported to the U.S. in 1971 (iirc), but none of them went to Firearms International. All went to Garcia. If yours came through the normal channels and was not a bringback by a G.I. from Europe, then it should have the importer etched lightly on the underside of the barrel.

Your straight (not slightly swept) bolt handle indicates that yours is probably a Model 72, which was introduced as a very slightly economized version of the standard sporter. Model 72's had a lot of mix-and-match features, but among them were straight bolt handle, uncheckered flats on the tops of the dovetails, two-point checkering pattern on the pistol grip, and a plain black plastic grip cap. Most had open sights; some of the earliest ones had skipline checkering (but a bit coarser than that on the Deluxe models). They were only produced in about a year-and-a-half period which may have begun as early as very late 1971 and ended in 1973.

The .25-06 is a highly desirable caliber in a Sako. A .25-06 will typically bring a small premium over some other more common calibers, all things being equal. You should be happy to own it regardless of exactly which model it is or who it was that imported it.
Actually there was one according to your post in the thread titled
"Pre-Garcia" L61R .25-06?

Actually there was one according to your post in the thread titled
"Pre-Garcia" L61R .25-06?
Right. I should have said that other than one prototype there were never any .25-06's shipped to F.I. I would guess that one rifle is still circulating somewhere and might surface one day. Holy Grail, indeed!

Thanks for catching my error.

is it stamped "Bofors"?......I only wish. DeerGoose
We can wish, but that would be a stretch. The last Bofors left-overs seem to have left the factory in 1969, or perhaps some dribbled over into 1970. Besides, the only other .25 caliber rifle I'm aware of Sako making was the ultra-rare .25-20, and the last of them were made in the '50's, I think. So there would have been no "left over" stock of Bofors-marked barrels in .25 caliber to draw from when the F.I. .25-06 was built in 1971.

I guess you have to be a real Sako nerd to care about such things. I plead guilty.

Which would this be considered then?
That's an FN Mauser which was imported by Firearms International. I think the trade name of the model was "Musketeer", but it has been so long since those were marketed that I wouldn't trust my memory.

Except for being imported by the same company which also imported Sakos, the two rifles are unrelated -- but this FN action might have been equipped with a Sako trigger as many of them were.

Seems like a fair price if it’s legit. Their prices always seem so much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back