• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A2 .243 Stutzen - Option for moderator

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Tom Law

Hi Folks,

In some areas of the UK rifles must be moderated.
My favourite go-to rifle is my A2 .243, had it for years, it is still in mint condition.
Instead of butchering the original Stutzen stock, how can you use your rifle with a moderator?

P1040060 copy.JPG

For anyone who is interested, I am beginning a series of videos that tracks the work I am doing.
Only got video covering planning, etc... shows what needs to be done.

I have already pillar bedded in preparation for a lot of other work, including an ebony fore-end.

FOLKS - Would be very interested in seeing pictures of Sako chequering on rarer rifles.
I'll be recutting all the chequering as it is smooth, so have the opportunity to totally recut.

Constructive feedback welcomed.

Attachments

• P1030860.JPG
    P1030860.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 20
Looks like a suitable candidate for sure.
I always appreciate the before and after photos too.

Are your plans to use a clamp on moderator/suppressor or are you going to thread that barrel? Seems like the wrong rifle to start with if you are going to thread it.
And yes, I would like to see the rifle that went with the donor stock. Looks like it was in the BAJA 1000 bouncing around in the back of a pick up truck. With a bipod torqued to 100 ft. pounds.

Are your plans to use a clamp on moderator/suppressor or are you going to thread that barrel? Seems like the wrong rifle to start with if you are going to thread it.

It will be threaded BUT! Plan is to fit a hidden cap i.e. same diameter, blued, virtually invisible when fitted.
Will also allow the option of fitting the action back to the Stutzen stock... Best of both worlds.

Looks like it was in the BAJA 1000 bouncing around in the back of a pick up truck. With a bipod torqued to 100 ft. pounds.

Not got the original action, that was long gone.
I know....the stock is beaten up....let's see how we get on :rolleyes:

With the price of secondhand Sako .243 rifle at auction (Holts or Scotarms) I wouldn't be messing around butchering a fine rifle. Just get yourself a variation on your FAC and buy an old Sako .243.

With the price of secondhand Sako .243 rifle at auction (Holts or Scotarms) I wouldn't be messing around butchering a fine rifle. Just get yourself a variation on your FAC and buy an old Sako .243.

Totally get where you are coming from.
This is why I am refurbishing an old stock first, before 'anything' happens to my original .243 action.

'If' I am not happy I'll get a 2nd action....I'd like an A2 .223 if I could get one....

If however, I am happy with the outcome, the only thing that will happen to the .243 is the barrel will be threaded and a replacement 'invisible' cap will be made to it can be reinserted into the Stutzen.

Appreciate to some this is a cardinal sin!
However! Beg to differ re the butchering, the only thing I am changing on my original Stutzen A2 .243 setup is screw threading the barrel and making good with a near-invisible thread protector.
Given the thread protector would ultimately sit in the Stutzen end cap it would make little to no difference to the original setup if I decide to stick with the Stutzen.

Hope the above makes sense :rolleyes:

Hi Folks,

Done loads of work to the stock, am playing catchup with the video...
Just have chequering, butt pad and screw cut to do.

The ebony forend, grip cap and butt lock awesome.
Hope to get more video up in the next few days.

https://youtu.be/TUPhRbgbuE0

Looks like a lot of work. It might be easier to just move from England to somewhere they don’t require moderation. You could save time and a good rifle...

Latest posts

Back