• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Lets's stop trying to put a value on Sako pieces!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

im a "newbie" to Sakos and this site but far from a newbie on guns and values of used items in general. this website asks to make an initial post when being new. so I did so and in it asked what a value may be. Just asking out of curiosity, not expecting to hold anybody to anything. its not that bid a deal.
places like this, not everyone is going to be an expert on a narrow field. common questions are going to be asked. regular members and people deeply focused in a particular interest are going to hear what they believe to be basic questions. being frustrated by that is a little silly and not very welcoming.
I appreciate anyone who has any opinions to share about my Sakos. I'll follow Reagan's advice and "trust, but verify".
glad this forum exists, thanks to all that put time into it!

Nobody here is saying that we don't want to entertain questions and provide answers to the best of our ability.

It is just very difficult to put a value on any Sako given the scant pics we usually get. In addition not having the piece in hand makes it much harder.

Welcome Stelebar to the Sako club.

I have no problem at all in giving my opinion on what a Sako rifle might be worth. After all what better place to ask such a question than on the Sako Forum? I think that some in here are over thinking the situation. If I know a ball park price or what I think that I might know, I would give the person a few hundred dollar range on a rifle. Again it would be just my opinion, and I usually state such.

I would base the value on just what I could see of the "posties photo's and description of his rifle", no more no less. If they are not being honest with the description then that would be on him, not the guy giving the valuation. If the photo's are not clear enough and don't show enough detail then I would not give my opinion.

I have never looked at those "Blue Book" of Gun Values so I don't know if they are even close. Are Sako's even in there?
In my experience neither the Blue Book nor the Standard Catalog of Firearms has useful information on Sakos, at least the older, collectible ones. Descriptions are often incomplete and/or inaccurate, and values may or may not relate to reality. That's for FN/Sako, A, and L series rifles; their information on the 75 and 85 series may be better but I don't collect those or even own one so I can't venture an opinion in that area. Information in the books about European sporting rifles in general tends to be pretty sketchy.

I've found the Fjestad Blue Book to be largely inaccurate regarding Sako models and so far off on prices as to be of less usefulness in valuing them than a dart board. Some earlier editions of the Blue Book listed "Rymack" as one of the American importers. I looked for years for a Sako with such an import mark or literature mentioning that importer until I finally figured out that "Rymack" was a corruption of the word "Riihimaki" stamped on the receiver of L46's.

You can probably find more dependable information on a teenager's Facebook page than in the Fjestad Blue Book.

I've found the Fjestad Blue Book to be largely inaccurate regarding Sako models and so far off on prices as to be of less usefulness in valuing them than a dart board.

Regarding the Sako section of Steven Fjestad's Blue Book being largely inaccurate, I agree completely. However, I will share with you guys another side of the story. I was always anxious to purchase his yearly gun value book because I thought it contained and lot of accurate information, and I still do. Sadly, it also was very inaccurate in certain sections of numerous gun . Two of the inaccurate sections happen to be Sako and Browning Superposed Superlight and I was always disappointed with these two sections. About 10-12 years ago when I was very actively collecting Browning Superlights, I made my annual trip to the spring Tulsa Gun Show and stopped at his table to purchase that year edition of his book. I don't know what came over me, but somehow I managed to get him away from the crowd where we could talk privately. He was a very busy guy. I told him how disappointing it was to read the Browning and Sako sections every year and see the same old mistakes. I complained about how off base the book prices, gun description and format of the respective sections are. When I gave him a chance to tell me he would fix it, he outsmarted me. He said the book was too big for him to do all the work, and that's why he welcomed contributors to help with the book. He said "why don't you rewrite the section on the Superlights, and try to have it to me by such and such date to be ready for the next book". I said " thank you and I'll get it to you". As I walked away, I thought, what have I got myself into. Somehow I completed the task, sent it to him and he happily put it in the next book. At the next Tulsa show he asked if there are any other sections I would like to edit. With a poker face, I was very careful to not complain about the Sako section and I politely said no. In my opinion, the Sako section would be a lot harder. I don't complain about the Sako section any more because I had a chance to contribute and chose not to. Now that Steve has gone on to the happy gun collecting ground, I don't know if the new management will allow input. He was a nice guy, I miss him.

I just wish the one post value askers would contain the threads to the Valuation Corner and not clutter up the rest of the forum. While in there they could read the sticky before starting a new thread.

For the most part I don't mind reading through the value threads, because active members often give very informative answers regardless of the quality of the value inquiry.

New posters ask for opinions on the value of the sako they have come into possession of and are often upset with the opinions that are given. It seems as if they really don’t want to know other folks opinion and would have been happier if they hadn’t of ask in the first place. I appreciate the guys that take their time to respond to those questions. I’ve learned a lot about values of of sako rifles from those post.

For the most part I don't mind reading through the value threads, because active members often give very informative answers regardless of the quality of the value inquiry.
An excellent point. I agree completely; I've learned quite a bit about the finer points of Sako construction from these posts.

I just wish the one post value askers would contain the threads to the Valuation Corner and not clutter up the rest of the forum. While in there they could read the sticky before starting a new thread.

I've checked for the Valuation Corner and I haven't seen it. I think the moderators removed it.

It's there under General Sako Discussion.
But, unless you know to click on the little "sub-forum" arrow it isn't visible. I can't imagine a new member would ever know it is there, let alone read it. It is well written & the responses are full of good info & advice, so wouldn't it be a good idea to make the "Valuation Corner" more visible & easily accessed for the newbie. It says what we all repeat over & over to the "What's it worth?" threads. If we could make it mandatory reading before becoming a member, I would have no objections!!

Why not just setup a Whats It Worth forum. Put it at the top of the list and folks will naturally gravitate there.

rick

I've been on this site for several years now and I never notices the little arrow until Paul pointed it out. We need a better way so my earlier suggestion makes sense. But, put it under the Member Zone.

rick

Back