• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions Help identifying an L46 stock .

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

RHA

Hello,

New member here. Have visited previously to look for information, but this time I can't find what I am looking for with a search.

Purchased this Sako L46 stock, but have been unable to find any information online, and I do not have any printed material relating to Sako rifles.

Was it fitted to a rifle with a specific model name?
Years of production?
Etc.? 20200522_123751.jpg 20200522_123756.jpg 20200522_123802.jpg 20200522_123816.jpg
Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

Forgot to mention.
It is a two piece Mannlicher type. Connects at the barrel band with a spring type attachment and screws.
Came to me in two pieces with the hardware in a bag taped to the stock.

Two piece Mannlicher stocks may be the Sako norm, but did want to mention it.

Yes, I understand that L46 is the model.

Did Sako apply any names or amended model numbers or similar to different styles? Such as a Mannlicher stock?

The L46 had different calibers ranging from 25.20, 7x33, 218bee, 22hornet, 222. During its existance there where 4 types which takes a bit to explain. However, choices were standard sporter, heavy barrel, deluxe stock, full wood stock. Some full wood stocks had shorter carbine barrels but not sure if L46 had that as an option or came later in their next design.
No special names per se.
Yours is probably made later when the 222 came into production as it reads SACO 222 cal on the side of the stock.
Someone may chime in and verify the front isn't an add on or original. I do not have one to compare.

Look this number up on Gunbroker or simply google it.
Its your stock with rifle in it. Add says it is a L461 but it is actually a 46. The safety and magazine give it away.
And yes it is the rifle length barrel, not carbine.

Yours is probably made later when the 222 came into production as it reads SACO 222 cal on the side of the stock.
Thank you.
Yes, it does say "SACO 222" on the stock. There was a clear piece of tape at that spot. I hoped that it was written on the tape....., but no it was written under the tape. Mineral spirits removed most of it, but it will take a bit more time and care to remove it completely.

Didn't think about the significance of the caliber. I have the bolt(and small parts) that were installed on this stock/rifle, so I knew it was a .222 even without the markings on the stock.

Last edited:
Look this number up on Gunbroker or simply google it.
Its your stock with rifle in it. Add says it is a L461 but it is actually a 46. The safety and magazine give it away.
And yes it is the rifle length barrel, not carbine.

Thank you for the reference to look at and compare!

Does your stock have the cut outs for the magazine like the one I referenced on GB? Even if you can not find the rest of your rifle, with the bolt you have and the full length mannlicher stock you have some very good value there.

Your stock is from an earlier model L46, approximately 1951-1957. Yours has the stamped trigger guard/bottom metal and straight non-Monte Carlo stock. Later ones had forged bottom metal, and circa 1958 Sako started using a stock with a Monte Carlo hump.

As to "names", people often refer to the L46 as the "Riihimaki". That is actually the name of the city were Sakos are made and was stamped on the left side of the receiver of L46 models. Sako later adopted the model name "Vixen" for rifles made on the short action.

Does your stock have the cut outs for the magazine like the one I referenced on GB? Even if you can not find the rest of your rifle, with the bolt you have and the full length mannlicher stock you have some very good value there.

The barreled action is gone.
Melted down as a police seizure/found gun.

I know the bolts have surprising value.
Looking here and on eBay, the prices for stocks is amazing.

Your stock is from an earlier model L46, approximately 1951-1957. Yours has the stamped trigger guard/bottom metal and straight non-Monte Carlo stock. Later ones had forged bottom metal, and circa 1958 Sako started using a stock with a Monte Carlo hump.

Thank you.
That is great information.

I just discovered the specific Mannlicher forum.:cool:
Thank you all for the answers without the almost obligatory "You may want to ask in the...." ;)

I just discovered the specific Mannlicher forum.:cool:
Thank you all for the answers without the almost obligatory "You may want to ask in the...." ;)
Which forum did you find that provided like information the members of this forum provided? I would like to visit for myself as I have not seem or used a mannlicher forum yet that discussed Sako rifles. Congrats, I note you sold stock on eBay for $600 this morning.

Which forum did you find that provided like information the members of this forum provided? I would like to visit for myself as I have not seem or used a mannlicher forum yet that discussed Sako rifles. Congrats, I note you sold stock on eBay for $600 this morning.

The Mannlicher forum here: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/forums/sako-mannlichers-and-carbines.32/

Yes, sold on eBay.
Had multiple offers here, but don't know the rules for selling and didn't want to step on any toes.

I missed on fleebay. Did the Gunfather buy it. Right up his alley. Just have to watch his site for a rifle length Vixen Mannlicher.

I missed on fleebay. Did the Gunfather buy it. Right up his alley. Just have to watch his site for a rifle length Vixen Mannlicher.
Don't know the Gunfather, so can't say if he was the buyer.

Started it at $50 and expected someone to jump in low which ends the Buy It Now option. Someone didn't hesitate, so clearly priced too low. :cool:;)

No our friend from Montana did not buy it, he could duplicate one much cheaper? One bidder with buy it now bought it. He also has the bolt for the rifle for sale on eBay as well.

Latest posts

Back