• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Early vs. late L-series Barrel Diameters

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
It is frequently mentioned that the earlier L61R and L579 (and the L461 as well?) had lighter barrels than the later versions. However, I haven't seen actual dimensions posted. Is there a database of barrel contours? If not, it might be useful to compile one. That would be of great help, for instance, to anyone who is trying to find a stock to match a barreled action.

I'll start it off with one data point. Early L61R, s/n in the 9000 range, .300 H&H Magnum. Measures 0.71" (18.1 mm) at the front of the stock and 0.6" (15.2 mm) at the muzzle.

If several of us mike our barrels, we should be able to get a pretty good handle on selecting a stock to fit a given barreled action. I'm not aware of barrel variations in the L46 rifles, but if there were, that would be good to know as well.

It is frequently mentioned that the earlier L61R and L579 (and the L461 as well?) had lighter barrels than the later versions. However, I haven't seen actual dimensions posted. Is there a database of barrel contours? If not, it might be useful to compile one. That would be of great help, for instance, to anyone who is trying to find a stock to match a barreled action.

I'll start it off with one data point. Early L61R, s/n in the 9000 range, .300 H&H Magnum. Measures 0.71" (18.1 mm) at the front of the stock and 0.6" (15.2 mm) at the muzzle.

If several of us mike our barrels, we should be able to get a pretty good handle on selecting a stock to fit a given barreled action. I'm not aware of barrel variations in the L46 rifles, but if there were, that would be good to know as well.
Dimensions
L46 three rifles 222,22 hornet and 218. All 1950 plus or minus a year. Muzzles/ end of wood .570”/.650”, .550”/.650”and .570”/.660”

L579 243s 1964 , 1970 and 1971. .585”/.685”, .640”/.750” and same.

L61R 30-06 .650”/770” 1970 approx
L61R 25-06 .640”/.760” 1970 approx

More as spring cleaning progresses.

I've found the muzzles on early L61R's to be right around .600", and later ones to be about .650", much like Tomball's figures. Sometimes the outside of the barrel right at the muzzle has a bit of a chamfer on it which makes precisely measuring it difficult, but these figures are pretty close.

Coupled with the heavier stocks of the later models there is usually about a one-pound difference in weight for the L61R; probably a little less difference in the smaller L579 and L461.

Here's dimensions for three Pre72 L61's

Caliber/Made Muzzle @ 26" At 24.4" At Front of action
264/1963 0.580" 0.600" 1.150"
270/1966 n/a 0.600" 1.150"
25-06/1971 n/a 0.645" 1.160"

I believe Sako had 2 barrel contours for the L61. The early pencil barrel contour made from introduction of the L61 until about late 1968. I believe that the very early 26" pencil barrel has a 0.580" muzzle at 26" because taper just continues to get thinner from the 0.600" it measures at the muzzle on the 24.4" barrel rifles. I think it was 1968 that they decided to beef up the stock and barrel. The 25-06 above has the heavier stock and barrel. The catalogs show the muzzle to be 0.650" but for some reason my 25-06 measures 0.645" at muzzle. I also believe Sako produced the L61 stocks in three different weights. From introduction of the L61 until about 1963 or so, the stocks are very trim and skinny especially in the grip. Beginning about 1964, Sako beefed up the stocks very slightly (noticeable) in the grip mostly. Then in 1968, Sako beefed the stocks up a lot. I've attached a photo trying to show one other difference between the early and late barrels. but my photo skills are poor and you have to look close to see what I'm talking about. The step down on the early rifles begins about 1/2" from the action as noticed on the 270. The 25-06 is a good example of where the step down begins on the rifles made from 1968/69 on. Beginning in 68/69. the barrel has no taper in the first 2" or so of the action. Thus the step down ends about 1" to 1.5" closer to the muzzle. It's the step down area that gives the most trouble with replacement stocks. Ihe blue dots crudely mark the beginning and end of the step downs.

Barrel Contours L61 early vs late.JPG

When looking at photos of L61R Sakos I always look for the open-ended crossbolt nut (LH side of the stock) as an indicator as to the stock being the early (slimmer) rather than the later (heavier). As with virtually all Sako features, this is not always consistent because of Sako's propensity to utilize "obsolete" components even after a changeover had been made. Also, rifles with the "s"-shaped floorplate release usually have the slimmer stock.

I compared the weights of an "early" (pre-1968) .300 Winchester with a "late" ("pre-Garcia but post-1968) .338. They are equipped slightly differently so the weights could not be directly compared, but after accounting for the different scopes, mounts, and slings the later rifle was about 14 oz heavier.

When looking at photos of L61R Sakos I always look for the open-ended crossbolt nut (LH side of the stock) as an indicator as to the stock being the early (slimmer) rather than the later (heavier).
An interesting point. I'd never paid much attention, but sure enough, my four-digit .300 H&H L61R has the open-ended crossbolt and the A-series guns all have blind nuts. Thanks for a useful visual cue - obvious once you know it.

Another interesting thing about those with the open-centered crossbolt nut: The crossbolt is flat where the recoil lug of the action bears against it.

With the later solid center nuts the crossbolt is round so that the flat recoil lug bears against the crossbolt only on one point at the radius. At least all I've looked at have this relationship, but it is possible that there are some that differ.

I've found no consistent difference in how rifles with the two different crossbolts shoot, but I'm sure that other variables have much more impact on accuracy (if the flat vs. round crossbolt even has any effect.)

I doubt very much that the shape of the crossbolt has any effect on accuracy at all. I would guess that the flat bearing surface on the early Sakos was a holdover from the Mosin-Nagant military rifles, which had that same design (and also the same open-ended nut). At some point, Sako's engineers likely decided that machining and fitting the crossbolts was an unnecessary expense and they went to the simpler, round crossbolt. This makes sense - an infantry rifle will fire many thousands of rounds and take a lot of abuse if it actually sees combat, so the wide metal to metal contact will distribute the recoil, stabilize the stock and prevent a lot of cracks. A civilian hunting rifle doesn't typically put nearly as much stress on the stock as a military rifle.

Here are a couple of Mosin-Nagant crossbolts. The larger one at the bottom is from the m/28-76 target/sniper rifle, which has a larger stock than the regular infantry rifle.

Mosin Crossbolts.JPG

An interesting point. I'd never paid much attention, but sure enough, my four-digit .300 H&H L61R has the open-ended crossbolt and the A-series guns all have blind nuts. Thanks for a useful visual cue - obvious once you know it.

Any chance you can post some pics?

OK, I found a couple of photos in the archive, didn't have to shoot any new ones. First image is an AV in 9.3x62 with the blind nuts on the crossbolts. Second shot is an early L579 in .308. Click on the image to blow it up and you should see the open-ended crossbolt nut clearly. The final image is on a Finnish Mosin-Nagant, showing the same style of nut on the crossbolt.

AV-5.JPG 308-1.JPG Cav 4a.jpg

Hello Sako Lovers,
Was there a slimmer HB barrel profile on Vixens & Foresters?, and if so what year would the change of taken place.
Blackjack

To my knowledge the heavy barrel contours were always approximately the same. It was only the sporters and Mannlichers which received the beefed up barrel.

Latest posts

Back