• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Trigger Compatibility for an L461

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

I've been looking for a replacement trigger for a Sako L461 in .222 Rem. and came across the Bix'n Andy website. For those of you who shoot benchrest, the Bix'n Andy name will be well known, as they are considered to be just about the best trigger out there--even better than Jewells in the minds of many shooters.

Anyway, one Bix'n Andy trigger model is advertised as fitting the Sako S491 action. So here's my question:

Is the bottom of the S491 receiver sufficiently close to that of the L461 to assume that this Bix'n Andy trigger would also work in an L461? I guess I'm asking about things like method of attachment of the trigger housing, including spacing of screw holes, and proper location of the sear relative to the cocking piece.

Any help will be much appreciated.

The L-series Sakos are adapted to triggers which fit the 98 Mauser pattern. Safety levers may differ.

The L-series Sakos are adapted to triggers which fit the 98 Mauser pattern. Safety levers may differ.
OK, thanks. That raises a couple of questions:

(1) did the same trigger fit all L-series actions? In other words, could a particular trigger be accommodated by an L461, L579, and L61?

(2) would triggers that worked on L-series actions also fit on an S-series action (like the S491)?

1. Yes. Conditionally. The L46/L469 used an entirely different trigger. The early L57/L579's used a trigger which had the same mounting dimensions but had a narrower finger lever. The wider finger lever of the later Sako #4 triggers would not fit through the trigger slot in the bottom metal of these earlier rifles without modification.

2. I don't know. I've never messed with the insides of anything later than an A-series.

I hope you don’t mind me dredging this up now, but which B&A trigger model is reported to fit the S491? The Tikka, Quad, or the Mauser 98?

Thanks, David

Last edited:
Hello Steve,
I have a Sako L579/L461 M. H. Canjar. Denver. Colorado trigger Serial number 484. I purchased this Sako trigger from a bloke in the USA some years ago - brand new in It's box. My question is how difficult or easy is It to fit a Canjar trigger to a L461 or L579? Thanks.
Blackjack

Interesting - Bulletcentral doesn't list that model and I didn't see it on their website. It also looks very similar to the Tikka T3 and Quad trigger models.

For shits and grins I might pull the trigger groups from my Quad (B&A) and other A1 Sakos for comparison.

I don't own an S491 but I might someday.
The absence of B&A triggers for the L- and A-series actions is the most serious deficiency vis-a-vis B&A triggers for Sako owners. (The S491, M591, Quad, 75 and 85 are all covered.) As far as I've been able to tell, there currently is no high-quality replacement trigger (i.e., Jewell or B&A quality) for the L- and A-series actions.

Last edited:
The absence of B&A triggers for the L- and A-series actions is the most serious deficiency vis-a-vis B&A triggers for Sako owners. (The S491, M591, Quad, 75 and 85 are all covered.) As far as I've been able to tell, there currently is no high-quality replacement trigger (i.e., Jewell or B&A quality) for the L- and A-series actions.
That’s one reason I bought an AII in .243 recently even though it wasn’t in collector grade condition: it had the Sako two stage target trigger. Couldn’t pass that up. But I will take a very close look at it and compare it against my other trigger groups. Now is a good time for that kind of project, also to oil and inspect all of them.

Last edited:
As far as I've been able to tell, there currently is no high-quality replacement trigger (i.e., Jewell or B&A quality) for the L- and A-series actions.

There is the Maddco 3 lever trigger made in Australia, but supply is very limited. I'm fortunate enough to have two; one on my .20-222, the other a spare.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Marcus

Back