• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Help with hand loading for my L461 .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I am gonna do some hand loading for my .222. I’d like a heavier bullet just in case I take it hunting. I was wondering if anyone has loaded a 70 grain bullet or so for a .222 and whether the slower twist of an old L461 could stabilize it. Please share the info of your .222 hand loads. Thanks.

You will need a 9 or more likely an 8 twist to stabilize a 70 grainer in a 222 Rem. The velocity will be so low it would be fairly inadequate for practical use for anything one would hunt with a 222 Rem anyway.

Ditto what Paulson says.

Your Sako .222 was built to shoot 50-55 grain bullets. The 55's are heavy enough, particularly in a bullet with a reputation for holding together like the Hornady 55 grain w/cannelure, for taking the smaller deer species. For that matter, jillions of whitetails have been taken with the standard 50 grain factory load.

It is also versatile enough to use one of the 40 grain polymer-tipped bullets for varmints at velocities of up to 3600 fps. However, the good old 50-grainers, which have long been the standard for the .222, work well for most purposes.

There are literally dozens of powders which work well in a .222, ranging from 4198 on the faster end to perhaps BL-C2 or WW748 on the slower end. H335 and either of the 4895's are favorites of mine, but many, many other powders will work as well.

For whatever reason, the SAAMI pressure standards for the .222 are somewhat lower than the .223. This means that the loading data you find in loading manuals and online data from powder companies or bullet manufacturers will be somewhat conservative. As with any cartridge you'll need to work up your loads according to the feedback you receive from your rifle, but it isn't uncommon for loads generating perfectly acceptable pressures to exceed those listed in manuals as "maximum".

Latest posts

Back