• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scammers heads up!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi guys, just wanted to give the community a heads up on how I almost fell into a scam for another beloved Mannlicher. I came across one for sale in Arizona. The seller gave me all the information that I had requested so everthing seemed pretty legit. The plan was to do an FLL to FLL transfer. Just to double check that my information was correct I called the FFL dealer in Arizona. To our surprize, they weren't aware of any pending transaction. Unfortunately, for them from our conversation, there FFL information had been compromised and being used to try and scam individuals out of money and not ship any firearms. I'm not the first to have this happen but wanted to share so it doesn't happen to someone elso. Take care.

Tell me about it!!! I was totally caught off guard on this one. Based on the pictures and asking price I jumped all over it. Until the pressuring messages my gut told me something was off. Since it was a sako mannlicher I just wanted to spread the word.

There was a deal sorta like that about a month ago on armslist... nice sako mannlicher, $600...great shape... had the rings...sight hood,etc. it was in Penn.... the 3 days later ( same picture and ad) Ohio... then Ft. Cambell... then Biloxi... I contacted, and they would not take a US postal money order !!! (first red flag) then seller wanted me to send funds to some girl, via walmart money transfer..(second red flag) then he told me that if I paid today, he'd ship today..( this was Saturday afternoon..no-one ships on Saturday afternoon..) (third and final red flag) .. moral, is that if something seems too good to be true... than its probably a scam... $600 for a sako Mannlicher is rediculous, as most of us know... Bob

Thanks Bob, I couldn't agree more with ya. Almost to the tee with the same storyline. They must be evolving the storyline since they only wanted a USPS money order. I was able to pass along possibly the same Gal's information onto the dealer in arizona and the serial number for the rifle. The dealer was incontact with the BATF and going to pass my findings along to them. And yes it was on Armslist.

And yes it was on Armslist.
The subject of Armslist comes up occasionally. It is not the only site where fraudulent advertising can be found, but the frequency of scam ads there is much greater than any other site. The owners of the site apparently try to do nothing to filter or track scammers. I refuse to even look at the site, as should other legitimate gun buyers and sellers.

Thanks Bob, I couldn't agree more with ya. Almost to the tee with the same storyline. They must be evolving the storyline since they only wanted a USPS money order. I was able to pass along possibly the same Gal's information onto the dealer in arizona and the serial number for the rifle. The dealer was incontact with the BATF and going to pass my findings along to them. And yes it was on Armslist.[/

Its sad that they are getting away with this stuff... seems like no-one is going after these people... with technology of today, they should be able to track the scammers down and jail them.. Bob

What they are doing to the elderly (non-firearm) makes me want to puke......Send the bastards to prison !

DeerGoose

The instructions for using Armslist state that Armslist is intended to facilitate face to face transactions ONLY and that there is no vetting of buyers or sellers. I've made some good deals off Armslist but I would never deal with an out of state transfer unless I had a was to verify that the seller and the item were legit.

Rule of thumb for Armslist is just don't go there. If you do then the old adage 'let the buyer beware' comes into play. If you see something there and the price is too good to be true, why take the risk and disclose your email address of phone number? Scammers just love that kind of free flow of information because they can use it to scam you or other unsuspecting people. Also, BATF won't do anything about something like this. I know because several years back I reported an Armslist scammer and nothing was done. I also flagged the ad only to discover that it appeared again this time with a new location and price.

One trick the scammers use is to copy pics from other legit websites. Especially those of completed listings. It isn't hard to do some research and find them. That process usually only takes a moment to complete. When you find one that has been usurped just flag the listing and get the heck out of there.

rick

Have an SCA AD asking for help locating a Finnwolf hammer. Finally got a response from a new member calling himself winchesterlord1 saying a guy he knew that lives in Indiana named Fred had one for sale and he supplied me an email address. I immediately responded asking for details of the hammer and pricing. Frederick Sandler responded not mentioning the hammer at all but instead stating that he had a Finnwolf for sale. I asked for pictures and pricing which he sent and I agreed to buy it, again asking about the hammer. He responded back saying he had no hammer and asking I send money via a service called Zella which is apparently like Paypal friends and family. I informed him I would not do that, but if he would take his gun to a local gun shop and I could verify it was there and ready to be shipped I would do it, silence for hours. Then to my surprise I get an email saying he would do it, and gave me an email address supposedly related to the gun shop but not the correct address according the shop web page. I told Fred I would call the shop once he notified me the gun was there and got no reply. I then asked that Fred do me a favor and send me a picture of himself holding the gun, of course no response. Now this morning I get a PM message from winchesterlord1 stating his friend has no hammer and does not have the Finnwolf . I suspect Fred and winchesterlord1 are one in the same. I researched the gun and found it sold in an Iowa auction in 2015 and the pictures I was sent were directly from that auction. BE WARE even if responses from our great website.

See winchesterlord1 tried their scam elsewhere https://ukvarminting.com/search/?&q=winchesterlord1&search_and_or=or

Last edited:
I haven’t spent much time on this forum anymore. I was gone for about a year and came back to a sea of scammers. It’s a shame.

Well, perhaps do not sell or buy here if that’s your complaint. A “ sea of scammers”?
Come on, sounds hollow as this forum is replete with valuable information not available anywhere else.
Who is trying to “scam” you?
Perhaps you can enrich the conversation with your extensive knowledge & contributions.

On further thought, just close the door behind you quietly & no one will know you left. No reason to slam it loudly & raise your voice with vague insults as you leave. May you be blessed with all you have earned & deserve…

Last edited:
I haven’t spent much time on this forum anymore. I was gone for about a year and came back to a sea of scammers. It’s a shame.
What was it that set you off ?
Did you get scammed?
Did you see someone else get scammed?
Did you get a bad feeling something could be a scam?
Or..Did you search for “Scamming” and this 3 year old thread was the first to pop up?
Since you’ve only been gone for a year, it’s not like scamming just began this year.
Maybe you are referring to the ads ???

Explain your reasoning if you could sir.

Latest posts

Back