• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions L46 .218 Bee Mannlicher on GB

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858543813

This has just appeared on Gunbroker. If the seller wants to get the most for it he needs to post some better photos, however from what you can see it looks to be in decent shape. Just a five day auction, too.

(I do not know the seller or have any knowledge of the gun. Just posted here because I know that everybody likes to watch these rare ones!)

Your right Steve. If your asking that sort of money you better have some really nice photo's.

The auction ended.wonder what happened.
I have no knowledge, but typically someone will contact the seller and offer a cash price or a cash + trade. If there are no bids then the seller can end the auction early. That way the seller gets to avoid the (rather steep) Gunbroker commissions. Also, it may have been listed (counter to Gunbroker rules) on some other site at a fixed price. I've got to think that someone really wanted that rifle and didn't want to risk its going into the stratosphere in a bidding war with another guy with deep pockets. Too bad, I would have loved to have seen where the bidding might have taken it.

I have no knowledge, but typically someone will contact the seller and offer a cash price or a cash + trade. If there are no bids then the seller can end the auction early. That way the seller gets to avoid the (rather steep) Gunbroker commissions. Also, it may have been listed (counter to Gunbroker rules) on some other site at a fixed price. I've got to think that someone really wanted that rifle and didn't want to risk its going into the stratosphere in a bidding war with another guy with deep pockets. Too bad, I would have loved to have seen where the bidding might have taken it.

Gunbroker fees are not hidden, they tell you up front what their price is. I have made plenty of deals with buyers that wanted to go outside the boundaries of Gunbroker to save the fees, but in fairness to Gunbroker, I have agreed with the buyer to adjust the buy it now price and not cut Gunbroker out of their commission.

At some point it has to be realized that the buyer and seller would not have been put together and as such should not deny Gunbroker their commission...

Gunbroker fees are not hidden, they tell you up front what their price is.
I didn't say they were hidden and offered neither praise nor condemnation for those who might get around the commission by selling outside of Gunbroker.

Like other online middleman platforms such as Amazon or eBay, Gunbroker charges what their experience tells them the market will bear and their commissions are somewhat higher than they were originally. In my opinion they have become "steep". Steep enough, in fact, that sellers have a significant financial incentive to go around them if they can, particularly on the high-dollar items like the one that's the subject of this thread. This is unfortunate.

What seems to be happening more and more is that people list guns on Gunbroker at above-market prices then let the listing "ride" for week after week, since it is free to do so. They are apparently waiting for someone to contact them with a market-level offer, at which point they end the auction and sell directly. The net result is that Gunbroker only gets the listing fee and its usefulness as a market discovery tool is somewhat diminished. I suspect that if they would lower their commission fees a bit and get rid of their "eternal listing" option that everyone would be better served. However, not being privy to the huge amount of proprietary information they have, my opinion is obviously somewhat speculative.

By the way, something screwy is going on with this auction on the Bee. It now shows that it has been "relisted". But if you click on the relisted box it takes you to an auction by the same seller of an entirely different gun.

I didn't say they were hidden and offered neither praise nor condemnation for those who might get around the commission by selling outside of Gunbroker.

No reflection on your statement, I was just clarifying the abuse that does exist on Gunbroker. 3-4% does add up, but nothing close to what the big auction houses gouge when they will get 15-25% for their assistance and they get that from both the buyer and seller.

Many times I have had guys offer to buy outside of Gunbroker and that is where I have told them I will adjust the “buy it now” price to our agree price and compensate Gunbroker accordingly...

Latest posts

Back