• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako rear sight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Getting ready to send this old Sako 375 magnum off for a new stock and reblue and idea where I can get the rest of the rear sight that’s missing?

Attachments

• 4BF61FA8-B913-4BBF-A64C-FDD10783CEB0.jpeg
    4BF61FA8-B913-4BBF-A64C-FDD10783CEB0.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 41
  • EE7F4AF7-4CEE-45E1-A4FD-DAF466F7CEA1.jpeg
    EE7F4AF7-4CEE-45E1-A4FD-DAF466F7CEA1.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 41
It will be very difficult to find an original rear sight for that FN-Sako. However, you can probably find something that will fit the dovetail and closely resemble the original - the problem being, of course, that if it isn't the same height, the elevation will be off. The original sight for that rifle was probably the same as on my .300 H&H. That is an express sight with one standing and one folding leaf. This sight was typically installed on magnum rifles. I would measure the dovetail and then look for a sight to fit it. Here's a photo showing two FN-Sako rifles. The upper rifle is the .300 H&H and as you can see, the dovetail mounting is the same as your rifle. (The other is a .30-06 with a regular rear sight as typically fitted to non-magnum rifles.

And by the way, if your old stock is all-original and you want to sell it once you get the gun restocked, send me a PM. I might be interested.

2 Forends.JPG

Off subject, but I see that the second rifle has the adapter bases to use the original Sako Tapered Dovetail mounts. These seem to be a pretty scarce item.

Also, the crossbolt has the open-centered nut on the RH side of the rifle. Do you know if it came this way or if some previous owner for some reason removed it and turned it around -- Sakos always had their nut on the LH side, although I've seen them with the crossbolt removed and turned backward. I think this sometimes happens when someone refinishes the stock and removes the crossbolt during the process.

While I'm asking silly questions, is the top rifle an FN or an FN-Sako? It has no crossbolt and the checkering pattern is a tad different from most I've seen on FN-Sakos.

It will be very difficult to find an original rear sight for that FN-Sako. However, you can probably find something that will fit the dovetail and closely resemble the original - the problem being, of course, that if it isn't the same height, the elevation will be off. The original sight for that rifle was probably the same as on my .300 H&H. That is an express sight with one standing and one folding leaf. This sight was typically installed on magnum rifles. I would measure the dovetail and then look for a sight to fit it. Here's a photo showing two FN-Sako rifles. The upper rifle is the .300 H&H and as you can see, the dovetail mounting is the same as your rifle. (The other is a .30-06 with a regular rear sight as typically fitted to non-magnum rifles.

And by the way, if your old stock is all-original and you want to sell it once you get the gun restocked, send me a PM. I might be interested.

View attachment 17977
Thanks for the info I kinda figured that sight would be hard to find. As far as the stock goes I will probably hold one to it just to say I have it but it does have a good size chunk out of it right under the bolt and what I’m told it was a common issue with the magnum calipers.

Off subject, but I see that the second rifle has the adapter bases to use the original Sako Tapered Dovetail mounts. These seem to be a pretty scarce item.

Also, the crossbolt has the open-centered nut on the RH side of the rifle. Do you know if it came this way or if some previous owner for some reason removed it and turned it around -- Sakos always had their nut on the LH side, although I've seen them with the crossbolt removed and turned backward. I think this sometimes happens when someone refinishes the stock and removes the crossbolt during the process.

While I'm asking silly questions, is the top rifle an FN or an FN-Sako? It has no crossbolt and the checkering pattern is a tad different from most I've seen on FN-Sakos.

The rifle is exactly as I bought it at a local gun show 10-15 years ago. I guess somebody must have switched the crossbolt - had it out for some reason and probably just forgot which way it was originally. The finish looks original to me, but I can't be sure. The Sako bases were on the gun, as was the scope, a 2.5-6x B.Nickel - Marburg. The 26mm rings are strange. They look like regular Sako rings except they have clamp screws to secure the windage rather than the usual click-stopped nuts. They are not the crummy Spanish rings with the hinged tops; the overall quality matches original Sako. I posted photos on this forum a couple of years ago, asking if anyone had ever seen anything like them. I got a few irrelevant responses, but nothing useful. A couple of replies claimed they were Sako factory, but offered no details or evidence (old ads or whatever). I think the gun may be a GI bringback and the scope and rings were attached in Germany. That could be why nobody I've run into has ever seen any like them.I've attached a couple more photos below.

The top rifle is an FN-Sako with a custom stock. When I bought it, it had a hideous Bishop stock with a Weatherby-style high cheekpiece, forend that looked like it was hewn by Fred Flintstone with a stone ax, etc. I reshaped it into what you see below. The action was bedded with compound by whoever did the original stock work. The lack of a crossbolt has not caused any problems so far. If you're interested, I posted the whole story behind this gun here; https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/custom-fn-sako-300-h-h.13447/

2 Rifles .JPG 06 Scope Left.JPG 06 Scope Right.JPG FN 300-1.JPG

Last edited:
I guess I missed your post on the Sako rings with the oddball extra screw on the LH side (or the ravages of old age have simply erased it from my memory). Those rings look like regular Sako rings to which someone has added an extra screw, maybe as a "lock", but that would seem totally unnecessary.

I guess I missed your post on the Sako rings with the oddball extra screw on the LH side (or the ravages of old age have simply erased it from my memory). Those rings look like regular Sako rings to which someone has added an extra screw, maybe as a "lock", but that would seem totally unnecessary.

No, those are lock screws. The windage adjustment screws on the left do not have the click-stops of the typical Sako rings, so the lock screws are functional and necessary. Also, the rings are completely unmarked. All the Sako rings I've ever seen said Sako, Finland, and the size (25.4 or 26).

I have a few sets of Sako rings that have wrong size markings...for instance one says 25.4 on the bottom but they are actually 26mm...and another says 26 but is actually 1 inch...now I always measure before buying.

I have a few sets of Sako rings that have wrong size markings...for instance one says 25.4 on the bottom but they are actually 26mm...and another says 26 but is actually 1 inch...now I always measure before buying.
That's sort of depressing, especially if you live where Sako rings are seldom seen on the local market. Online sales and auctions are my usual sources for Sako and Tikka rings. Fortunately, I have plenty of medium 1" rings, but if I need a high ring or a 26mm, I need to go a-searching.

Latest posts

Back