• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Another High-Dollar Sako Auction

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
A couple of weeks ago, there was a Gunbroker auction for an AIII Mannlicher in 7x64. Opening bid was $1500 and it sold at $3213. That's up there with the 7x57 a few months ago. The interesting thing was, there were only two bidders. The winning bidder almost had it for the opening bid, had a second bidder not turned up.

Here's the link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854959335

pix145256676.jpg

I missed that one completely, but that was because its title said it was a "Bavarian", so I assumed it was one the currently-produced Model 85's instead of being a "real Sako" like an A-III. I already have an A-V in 7x64 so didn't need another in that caliber, but I would have enjoyed watching it.

The A-III should have a brown ventilated pad. This one looks brown, but it is solid. I think it is a replacement. All the description says is "used" and "comes as pictured", so there is no actual misrepresentation. The sight hood is definitely a non-Sako replacement.

There's an A-II mannlicher on Guns International in 7.62 x 39 listed for $3999.

Icebear, that hood looks a lot like the hood on my 7 mag. Whitworth Express.

7 mag Whitworth Express.jpg

Hmm. I used to have a couple of the Interarms/Whitworth/Churchill "One of One Thousand" safari rifles - maybe it came off of one of those.

Check out gb item 853874191 another sako manlicher that looks to me like it has that same sight hood and another super thick butt pad

Check out gb item 853874191 another sako manlicher that looks to me like it has that same sight hood and another super thick butt pad
Yes, the replacement sight hood is very similar. You can see in the second photo that it doesn't come far enough rearward to engage the detent in the sight ramp groove. The extra thick pad was probably added either to cushion the .375's recoil, or add about 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the stock pull, or both.

This isn't a "collector" model so the practical modifications don't hurt it the way non-original parts on something that might be considered a "collectible" would.

I was poking around in some parts today and found a hood that looked like that in an original Williams package. The .375 in the other auction is a domestic model that was sold with Williams sights. That isn't the correct Williams hood, but I suspect somebody installed it thinking that it might be. The 7x64 doesn't have a rear sight and I can't tell for sure if the front sight is Sako or Williams. The correct Williams hood for the sights Sako used on US export rifles with Mannlicher stocks is kind of U-shaped, not cylindrical.

That .375 is kind of neat, but I really would prefer not to shoot a relatively light .375 with a 20" barrel. I'm not a masochist. I used to have a proper .375 safari rifle and a featherweight .35 Newton, which has similar muzzle energy to a .375 H&H. The safari rifle was surprisingly enjoyable to shoot; the Newton was not. I eventually sold both, as there are no Cape buffalo in Virginia, where I was living at the time.

Latest posts

Back