• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Pre 74 features

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

wombat

Hi to Forum members,
Can some enlighten me on the main differing features of the 72 ? Models, I have been looking at a L61R s/n 77xxx in .264WM.
It has matte finish walnut? Stock, smooth top dove tails, flatter bluing, is there anything else I am not seeing?
Sights have been removed, but plugged with correct screws, looks like it may have had a Williams rear sight??? Am I right on that?
Has original vented pad, not compressed, But is rock hard and NO give in it!?
As new. May have shot one packet?
Any feed back from the experts would be great.
Thanks, Jay

The "Model 72's" exhibited a number of varying features during the short time Sako was using that designation. Originally, they had skip-line checkering, but that was so much like the Deluxe that it was soon dropped. Some had a plain plastic grip cap and others did not. The dovetails were checkered on some and not on others. Some had sights and others not. Mostly, their bluing was not as highly polished as the "standard" grade Sakos. What seems to be a common feature among most of them is that the stock stain had a light orange hue and the checkering pattern on the pistol grip had two forward points instead of three. This mix of features sometimes has people puzzling whether a particular rifle is a "Model 72" or not.

Little known is that Sako also briefly produced Finnwolfs designated "Model 72", but like their bolt counterparts that designation was found nowhere on the gun, only on the box or perhaps literature.

The entire Model 72 effort seems to have been to offer a Sako with a price more in line with the Remingtons and Winchesters it was competing with in the U.S. market. At that time the U.S. currency was pegged by the government instead of floating with the market. The U.S. Secretary of Treasury devalued the U.S. currency twice by 10% each time in order to make goods produced overseas more expensive and at the same time stimulate U.S. exports (yes, it was a dumb idea). This made Sakos even more expensive for U.S. consumers. The problem with the Model 72 is that it was made to sell cheaper, but there was very little manufacturing cost savings in it and it was still priced somewhat higher than its U.S.-made competitors. Thus its short time on the market. Sako soon re-christened its standard model the "Model 74 Super" and dropped the Model 72.

I have two, what I consider Model 72's, a 243 and a 308. What they both have in common is that they both have the orange "hue" and both have the two point pistol grip checkering. The 308 has front and rear sights - the 243 none. Both have dove tail checkering and grip caps. The bluing may not appear as polished but is still nice. The 308 has a little bit of a stiffer/heavier barrel and both are just as good of shooters as all of my other Sako's.

Latest posts

Back