• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A1 22 PPC scope rings

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

tenxal

Recently purchased a Sako A1 single shot 22PPC. Currently, it has original Sako rings on it. I've heard some talk about some issues with the factory rings needing excessive windage adjustment in the scope to get centered. Anything to that? If so, what would be a recommended ring setup for this?

Nice forum...thanks in advance! :)

Which "original" Sako factory rings to you have? Sako has offered a number of different rings (some with bases and some without) for the Sako Tapered Dovetail and it is necessary to know which you have in order to advise. However, properly mounted Sako factory rings of any configuration should not require "excessive windage adjustment".

These are what's on it now:
ML0v10Ol.jpg

I doubt those came on the rifle, probably added later. They are the high Sako rings and shouldn’t give you any problems with the scope alignment with the bore.

If they aren’t what you want, you could always use Leupold rings of whichever size you need for your scope....

Those original Sako ringmounts are adjustable for windage, so you should never have to move the scope's windage adjustment more than a smidgeon out of center in order to zero it.

The Leupold rings that kirk speaks of are also good ones, but often misunderstood. Since one side of them is fixed, if you place one ring at one extreme end of the rear tapered dovetail and the other one at the other extreme end of the front tapered dovetail then they will slightly misalign with the bore. Leupold instructions say to place both rings near the same point on each dovetail (preferably center or a bit forward) in order to assure that the dovetails' taper does not cause them to offset from the bore.

tenx.....Al,

Welcome to the Sako board.

On my Sako AI 22PPC-BR rifle......I used the old style Redfield bases(fitted to the dovetails) and Leupold rings(lapped).

Your Sako rings are "classic" though.

Yep........it's me. :)

In looking at these Leupold rings, a couple of questions:

-Are the underside of these tapered to match the taper of the Sako dovetail on the top of the reciever?

-On the 'clamp'...is it also on a taper or does it self-align with the side of the dovetail?

Thanks!
OgE4LMVl.jpg

Possibly the rings that I have may be better used on a restoration or to keep a classic Sako "...all Sako". If there's any interest, let me know.

As this rifle is going to be a shooter, I have no issues with after market rings/mounts as long as they are sturdy.

Vintage Sako rings in excellent condition can fetch up to twice what new Leupolds sell for, especially if the screw slots are not buggered up. List them here & you will find interest.

Has anyone bought the black market priced replacement screws from the gunfather? He says the are OEM but haven't heard any feed back.

For the original scope rings (pictured), are there Allen headed ring screws available? It looks like they're M3.5 X 0.6 X 6MM size. The original screws are perfect and since I'll likely be changing scopes quite a bit, Iwould prefer a Allen or Torx style head.

Thanks!

For the original scope rings (pictured), are there Allen headed ring screws available? It looks like they're M3.5 X 0.6 X 6MM size. The original screws are perfect and since I'll likely be changing scopes quite a bit, Iwould prefer a Allen or Torx style head.

Thanks!

If you google that size you can find them. I can't remember if they were Allen or Torx but they are out there. Just flat black, not blued or polished. One place had them five for $11.95 I think. Heads might be a tad thick but they would work. I didn't order any, want to stay original.

Has anyone bought the black market priced replacement screws from the gunfather? He says the are OEM but haven't heard any feed back.
I'm not sure exactly what anyone means by "OEM" because they are certainly not the originals made by Sako (or Sako's supplier). Gunfather bought the remaining supply of a batch of screws that a member here on the SCC forum had made to original specs, and then marked them up considerably from what the member was selling them for. I still have a few that I bought from the member and they seem to be as good, if not better, than the originals. This same member took the initiative to have some excellent replacement sight hoods made, and the Gunfather also bought all of that remaining stock. It's a shame that the SCC forum participants didn't buy nearly as many of each as they should back when they were being offered at attractive prices from one of our own members -- I know that I ran out of sight hoods after buying more than I ever thought I'd need.

Back