• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Rear Sight Looking for A- series rear sights

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gowyo

Sako Junkie
Howdy all,

I've been looking for rear sight assemblies for an AI and an AII. Does anyone have a line on any takeoffs? Pretty sure they are the short checkered, trapezoidal models, however, do the sculpted base model rears of late A's through 85's interchange? TIA,

Gary

Gary not sure what model these sight parts are off of but
if they will help you let me know.

Maybe another member can tell us what model these are for.

Attachments

• 20200103_054209-1.jpg
    20200103_054209-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200103_054231-1.jpg
    20200103_054231-1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200103_054253-1.jpg
    20200103_054253-1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200103_054408-1.jpg
    20200103_054408-1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Howdy Marlin,

That rear looks like the one I'm needing. Do you have the other parts with it? the blade, Etc.

I'll PM you.

Gary

Thanks Larry, Marcus,

I rec'd the rifles from Chris and they actually were built with the Express style sights still in use today. Single screw attachment. So Larry, the base I bought from you won't work. I'll hang onto it though. Here is what the rear looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200110-213114_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200110-213114_Drive.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20200110-213213_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200110-213213_Drive.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 116
Howdy All,

So I need a source for part 49. The provided screw is too long and bottoms out before the base is tight. I could file off a couple threads, but that would not leave enough contact for my confidence level. See pic. So I need an all thread screw, or a spacer. I can't find a local source, any ideas? Brownells couldnt help. Anyone have a contact at Sako?

Attachments

• 20200421_143448.jpg
    20200421_143448.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 24
Just cut some aluminum from a beer can & make some shims to fit under the screw head. Drill the hole first, then just use some tinsnips to cut it the diameter you need.

Just had a terrible thought - check and ensure the old screw wasn't broken off down in the hole. Also maybe post screw head diameter, outer thread dismeter, and length of screw you need, I like others do have extraneous screws laying around.
larry

Do you know the thread diameter and pitch of the screw? Have you run it through a screw checker? You might be able to cut a replacement.

screw head diameter-6 mm; outer thread diameter- 4mm; and length of screw-5mm, head 1.5 mm, shaft- 3.5.

screw head diameter-6 mm; outer thread diameter- 4mm; and length of screw-5mm, head 1.5 mm, shaft- 3.5.
Sounds like an M4 - do you have a screw checker, or a 4mm nut to check the threads? Some hardware stores have screw checkers in their nuts & bolts departments, if you don't have a checker. If it is M4, you can just get an M4 fillister head screw and cut it to length. Or a socket head screw might work, depending on how deeply the mounting hole is counterbored. It could also be an 8-40; a #8 screw will measure a bit over 4mm.

One suggestion for everyone: screw checkers are an essential bench tool. Mine came from Brownells, but they don't seem to list them any more. The most popular brand is the "Screw Chek'r," available from Amazon (among many others) in inch and metric versions. Older versions didn't have oddball threads like 6-48 and 8-40, both commonly used on scope mounts and rings, but the latest version has those as well. This tool also tells you what size drills to use for clearance holes. Cost is about $15 per unit, so 30 bucks for the inch/metric pair. Well worth it.

Gary try www.marshallshardware.com I've purchased from them and was happy with the item and delivery. Most items you have to buy either 10 or 100. So, to get one screw will cost you around $20.00 due to shipping charges.
They have lots of actual gun screws, i.e. blued, but not many in metric. Look for these by entering "fillister gun screws" in their search function. They have a multitude of sizes and lengths with various heads, i.e. slotted, hex, etc. They also have they same items in metric but they are black oxide finish. These should work fine for any purpose where the screw is hidden. To look at the selection of metric screws, using search, enter "metric screws" then select metric socket head screws and pick one you think will work and open it. Read the specs to see if detail dimensions works for you. Search carefully because they have many items scattered in the various item headers.
Good luck

I have a small batch of parts coming in soon and I’ll see what’s in it.

will report back when I have it home.

Jim

Latest posts

Back