• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

416 Rem AIV Safari Grade

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Just wondering if anyone has ever laid eyes on a 416 Rem Mag AIV Safari Grade. Would love to own one to go along with the other Calabria I have but after 30 years of looking have never heard of one anywhere. They where listed for the Australian Market. Could alstroemerias be interested in a 7mm Rem or 9.3x62

I’ve never seen any literature regarding the AIV Safari in that chambering Eric and it would certainly be interesting to see some.

I thought the Safari chamberings of that era were .300wm, .338wm, 9.3x62 and .375 H&H.

I’ve never seen any literature regarding the AIV Safari in that chambering Eric and it would certainly be interesting to see some.

I thought the Safari chamberings of that era were .300wm, .338wm, 9.3x62 and .375 H&H.
Some where tucked away safe I have the Australian marketing spec sheet that has them produced in 338win, 375H&H and 416 Rem.
I am lead to believe that the US market had 7mm Rem, 300Win and 375H&H.
I have seen 1 7mm Rem advertised for sale but didn’t’ have the spare cash at the time. I have also heard that they were possibly made in 300H&H which is possible for the European market along with the 9.3x62 which I have seen a couple advertised.
I currently have a 300Win, 338 and 375.
The 375 is by far the most common

Nice trifecta Eric.
Do you hunt with them ?
375 had been to Mozambique and shot, Bush buck, reed buck, Impala, waterbuck, baboon, Nyala, Sable, wart hog and Cape Buffalo and water buffalo in Australia.
338 has shot numerous Red Deer, water buff and pigs and is one of the most accurate rifles I own and if you do your part it will consistently shoot little clover leaf groups even with a 1-4 Leopold on it.
300 has shoot some cull horses, donkeys and pigs but doesn’t get out enough as I have to many others to choose from.

Well that confirms that Eric, well done !
Pics with Sakos make for good viewing if you get a chance

Not sure it's a Safari grade but I have a 416 in my armoury.
I took it to Namibia.
Reloaded ammo with 350gr soft point Speer bullets. Very accurate and devastating in effect.
I was taking shots out to 350 yards with no problem in accuracy or knock down power.

The receiver of the Safari Grade will be marked "A IV" (A-4), and the magazine will be a drop magazine which holds five down. It will also have a sling swivel on a barrel band forward of the forearm.

Not sure it's a Safari grade but I have a 416 in my armoury.
I took it to Namibia.
Reloaded ammo with 350gr soft point Speer bullets. Very accurate and devastating in effect.
I was taking shots out to 350 yards with no problem in accuracy or knock down power.

You couldn't share a Photo by any chance I soon tell you if it is a Safari Grade

That's where I am Eric. I'd like to see one too. I've handled an AIV safari grade in 9.3x62, I know where a deluxe AV .416 is, but I've never seen a Safari grade AIV in .416

No hate, just pointing out that the post was specific to the AIV. The 85 comes in all sorts of thumper calibers, which is neat, but a dime a dozen. A 416RM in a Safari grade AIV would be more than rare, almost unicornical.

I have also seen them for sale on line in the US in 7mm Rem

I dug through my collection of shooters' bibles tonight. I did see that in 95 they listed the safari in .416 Rem Mag. I never found the 7mm RM as a listed caliber. 9.3x62 was in the list of calibers as well.

I dug through my collection of shooters' bibles tonight. I did see that in 95 they listed the safari in .416 Rem Mag. I never found the 7mm RM as a listed caliber. 9.3x62 was in the list of calibers as well.
I have never been able to find any mention of the &mm Magnum either but have seen a couple listed for sale online in the US about 10 years ago and they looked the real deal.

Yes, the .416 was offered in the Safari A-IV. However, don't be too dependent on the listings you see in catalogs. The PR people for companies often get ahead of the production people and some versions of guns, including Sakos, were "cataloged", but never actually produced. Just ask the Marlin guys looking for a Model 62 .22 Jet, or any number of other "intendeds" which never actually left the factory.

On the other hand, Sako produced a lot of limited calibers and a few models which were never advertised in their literature, so I guess it about balances out.

Thanks Stonecreek, for the info I had a gut feel that this is the case but if a unicorn ever turned up it would be something to certainly add to the collection due to its rarity.

Back