• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

My New 85 Bavarian Carbine!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

XTrooper

Greetings! I'm a new forum member with a new Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in .308 Winchester. This is the first Sako rifle I've owned since I bought an L461 Vixen in .222 Remington almost fifty years ago. :)
My new Sako is a Bavarian Carbine in .308 Winchester. As soon as it arrives, I'll be mounting a Steiner GS3 2-10x42 scope on it. This model GS3 is 13.5" long and weighs 18 oz so it should be a good fit for the light, compact carbine while still having decent capabilities.

sako_bavarian_carbine_1_14.jpg

sako_bavarian_carbine_2_14.jpg

sako_bavarian_carbine_4.jpg

sako_bavarian_carbine_6.jpg

Looks like those "flyers" opened up your group to nearly 3/8ths of an inch! Who says full stock rifles can't be accurate?

I had one in 6.5x55 and it was a very accurate rifle. That single set trigger helps on targets. However, I also found it heavy and too bulky for a hunting carbine. I had an ACGG rifle maker slim down the stock but I still wasn't satisfied and I sent it down the road. No denying that it was an accurate rifle though.
vNxEAII.jpg

ZVv0Ex9.jpg

I had one in 6.5x55 and it was a very accurate rifle. That single set trigger helps on targets. However, I also found it heavy and too bulky for a hunting carbine. I had an ACGG rifle maker slim down the stock but I still wasn't satisfied and I sent it down the road. No denying that it was an accurate rifle though.
vNxEAII.jpg

ZVv0Ex9.jpg

That's a beauty!

I was always curious, is the Bavarian mannlicher bedded differently from other Model 85's? Meaning, Model 85's dont have a real recoil lug. Does the Bavarian mannlicher have additional bedding/points of contact with the full stock?

I was always curious, is the Bavarian mannlicher bedded differently from other Model 85's? Meaning, Model 85's dont have a real recoil lug. Does the Bavarian mannlicher have additional bedding/points of contact with the full stock?
Yes, the Bavarian Carbine has a notch/slot like inset in the fore stock. There is a matching male mouthing point which is inserted as the barreled action is set in. It’s a little tricky to put the two pieces together, as it must be precise when disassembled and reassembled.

Robin, Now that was a real improvement!

I’ve never liked the look of the German (or Teutonic) stock design which probably derives from the common practice in Germany, of hunting from a stand (Hochsitz).

Did you notice any differences or improvement in recoil, or any other differences in handling or shooting it, apart from the much more beautiful stock (in my honest opinion)?

Jim

Stock modifications were by Chris Griesbach (ACGG) of Three Hills, Alberta, Canada: [email protected]

It was intended to correspond more or less to the stock form on my Oberndorf Mauser Model S.

I bought the rifle 2nd hand, very slightly used, had the stock modified, then sold the rifle and so did the fellow I sold it to, but the final (4th) owner is very happy with it,

I wrote about this rifle before (but the ancient photobucket photos are all out of focus, so I'll repost most of them here)

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/th...ess-fullstock-carbine-6-5x55.9900/#post-49936

IKyyPFt.jpg

pUGSFu9.jpg

PSF2SY0.jpg

Breo4KG.jpg

gHcwtdZ.jpg

1Bsc4zo.jpg

7hgPeb9.jpg

HB8vKHd.jpg

3op2l1d.jpg

Last edited:
A very nice job of modifying that carbine, and I like the Oberndorf it was copied from as well. You have good taste in rifles.

Well...maybe...thanks...but both had issues for me and they were both sold/traded for what I think are even better rifles.

And I still think the modern Sako 85 fullstock carbine is a great rifle, just so long as you don't have to lug it too far.

Last edited:
And I still think the modern Sako 85 fullstock carbine is a great rifle, just so long as you don't have to lug it too far.

As much as I love mine, I have to agree the Bavarian Carbine is a bit on the heavy side for humping up and down the ridges so prevalent here in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania.

As much as I love mine, I have to agree the Bavarian Carbine is a bit on the heavy side for humping up and down the ridges so prevalent here in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania.
I've always been puzzled by why Sako felt the need to make its rifles bulkier and heavier. As I posted earlier in another thread, the difference in even an early "pre-Garcia" Finnbear (pre-1969) and a late "pre-Garcia" Finnbear (1969-1971) is about about 3/4 of a pound. I think the post-1972 models were even heavier, but I haven't had a chance to do a direct weight comparison. Some people don't believe me that I can be blindfolded and if you hand me a Finnbear I can tell you whether it is early or late just by the fullness of the grip, not to mention its weight.

Manufacturers like Browning and H&R have made some beautifully light weight sporters on regular Sako actions -- many of them with svelte barrels made by . . . Sako! Sako's only recent efforts to make a lighter sporter were manifested in aluminum-bottomed plastic guns with finned barrels. That's not necessary -- just trim the barrels and stocks to a reasonable contour and make it look like a real classic sporter.

Thanks for letting me vent.:confused:

Back