• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

TriAce New TriAce Owner

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BobGee

Hi guys,

I’m a bit late to the party but have been watching the site for a while as I’ve been looking for a genuine TriAce for some years.

As luck would have it, on a trawl through the Australian online gun sale websites recently I saw an ad for a TriAce but the vendor (a dealer) had not had time to upload photos so the ad was very plain and, I think because of that, he had had only two enquires. Having ascertained that it was a true TriAce and not a 3-in-1 or a 22-32, I told him I’d buy it as long as the 32 barrel was not bulged/ringed. I was assured it wasn’t, and a deal was struck: purchase price including postage and transfer fee was A$1385 (say US$940). Serial numbers are: frame - 811***, 22Short - 802***, 32S&WL - 809*** and 22LR - 810***).

The serial numbers are interesting because the frame, 22LR and 32 conversions all post date the intoduction of the TriAce (based on dates from the Sako website) whereas the 22Short s/n is of the 22-32 era. I am supposing here that the serial numbers are all unique, i.e. there is no duplication of numbers between frames and conversions. The 22Short has a satin chromed slide whereas the other two conversions are all black. The set is a true TriAce - conversions all have the top rib and the frame has the long underlug and horizontal trigger guard; there is a hold-open lever (I think introduced on the TriAce) but no safety so it is not a US import.

As received, the frame and conversions were filthy and the grips were well modified/butchered; the (proper) case was pretty tatty (and no key) but all the bits were there including all magazines, cleaning rod, complete tool roll (including 7 buffers and rear sight leaves but no replacement front sights) and original manual. I don’t know if test targets were ever sent out with these pistols.

On stripping, I was disappointed to find rust and pitting on both sides of the frame and on the back and front straps, but the bores are all bright and shiny. However, after a bath, everything was cleaned and lubricated and checked over. The only new part needed appears to be the hammer stop (p/n #19). A Rink grip has been ordered.

The pistol was totally out of adjustment and when I removed the 32 conversion from the frame, the recoil buffer fell out. I recall having seen this pistol up for sale a couple of years prior (recognised by the photo and a distinctive stain on the manual); I think the purchaser had not properly understood the pistol and how it should be set up so had become dissatisfied and sold it on - to my advantage!

Apart from the crud to be cleaned off and rust to be neutralised, sanded off and re"blued", everything had to be readjusted from the sear engagement though first stage trigger pressure and free movement, to total trigger weight (not to mention sights) - and no buffers were fitted!

Now, all has been sorted (frame and trigger and each conversion has been trigger weight adjusted and a recoil buffer fitted - properly) and it is such a great pistol. Amazingly accurate and well balanced. Recoil is low due to the barrel and shroud mass I think. I LOVE IT! Begs comparison with my Walther GSP but, I reckon it is better.

I don’t know if @greg998, @finatic, @Haldo, @dhv, @Front Sight or @Jason1971 (all Aussies) are still in touch with this forum, but if so, I’d really appreciate hooking up. @Lenny is a fellow club pistol member and so we are in touch. Please PM me guys.

I really would like to locate a supply of certain spares such as firing pins, sear springs and recoil buffers. I think I have a source for some in Sweden but our local Sako agent (Beretta Australia) says that parts are no longer available from Sako Finland. The parts that Beretta had were, apparently, bought up lock, stock and barrel by some enterprising guys 5 years or so ago. Where they are now I’d love to know. Any clues for sources would be appreciated. Forum member Markus in Sweden located some in 2016 and I have emailed the agents he identified but have yet to hear back. "@rafu" also identified a Finnish agent who might have something but all these links are quite old now. If anything comes of them I’ll post.

Here’s to the TriAce - long shall it live.

Bob

PS I could have posted pictures but my TriAce looks like any other TriAce so no real reason to do so.

Last edited:
I seem to have found a source of some parts: Reservdelslådan in Sweden; website is webshop4u dot se (can’t give you the full link apparently as I’ve not yet completed 3 posts). Anders is very co-operative. Takes PayPal. I bought a bunch which are currently en route to Oz.

On another note, has anyone got a reprint or PDF copy of the Sako TriAce writeup in the American Rifleman issue of September 1985, pages 52 et seq? If so, I’d really like a copy as the couple of pages I was able to read online seemed very balanced.

In hope.

Bob

Bob, very welcome to SCC!

And congratulations to you TriAce!

I may know where to find parts but then we have the license and GST issues, if selling to a private citizen from abroad.
I´ll check and see if there are any parts left with they guy I know.

Cheers!

Jim

Bob, very welcome to SCC!

And congratulations to you TriAce!

I may know where to find parts but then we have the license and GST issues, if selling to a private citizen from abroad.
I´ll check and see if there are any parts left with they guy I know.

Cheers!

Jim

Many thanks Jim. I think I have most of what I want now from Anders at Reservdelslådan except a hammer, sear and the two related pins. Someone on the forum had a problem with the sear spur breaking off his hammer. If that’s a possibility, I’d like to have a set in reserve!

Regards, Bob

Hi all,

Anders Kihlander at Reservdelslådan in Sweden has come up trumps (not Trumps) with firing pins, buffers, extractors and various springs. He doesn't have hammers, sears and associated pins. I just received a shipment from him of back-up parts for my TriAce. These will either be used in service or make it a more attractive purchase if I ever have to on-sell.
Anders' website is https://webshop4u.se/.
I have another contact in Finland I am following up for the hammer and sear, etc. Apparently, he has everything. I’ll let you know how that progresses.
Bob

Back