• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions Pachmayr Lo-Swing for L469

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cdsx

I recently acquired both halves of a Lo-Swing mount system, advertised as NOS and fitting a Sako L469. The mount and base literally haven't a scratch on them, so I've no doubt that they were never installed on a rifle, but the boxes are well shop-worn. The excellent condition of the parts and poor condition of the packaging, combined with the relative rarity of the application, makes me inclined to believe the claim that this is unsold stock, or at least sold to someone who never used it. The problem is, I acquired these parts because I need Lo-Swing mounts for other, non-Sako rifles. I was going to adapt or modify the baseplate for my application. I was completely unaware that a mount for the L469 was so uncommon, until I tried researching to find out what else it would fit. I'm now very reluctant to butcher a pristine baseplate (that is apparently pretty rare) to suit my purpose when there might be someone out there who needs one for its' intended application.

My question, then, before I go milling chunks off the baseplate: Is this a desirable item, or has it gone unused because Sako owners wouldn't be caught dead with a Lo-Swing on their rifle?

The Sako dovetails are the same on all Sako rifles, so I not sure why the mounts you have would be specific to the L469. Seems they would fit any short action Sako (L46, L461, AI). The Sako dovetails are unique to Sako, so any mount made to fit them would not work on other rifles. I can see no reason why anyone would put a Lo-Swing mount on a small game/varmint rifle, but to each his own.

The Sako dovetails are the same on all Sako rifles, so I not sure why the mounts you have would be specific to the L469. Seems they would fit any short action Sako (L46, L461, AI). The Sako dovetails are unique to Sako, so any mount made to fit them would not work on other rifles. I can see no reason why anyone would put a Lo-Swing mount on a small game/varmint rifle, but to each his own.

There's no dovetails about it; the Lo-Swing baseplate mounts to the left side of the receiver with four screws, drilled and tapped. The baseplate is contoured to the radius of the receiver, so it will only fit receivers of that exact diameter. Any mismatch will have the mount wobbling on a single line of contact, or standing off the receiver with only two narrow lines of contact, and needing over-long screws. I have no idea if other Sako models have the same diameter receivers as the L496., but that's why this particular mount is rifle-specific.

As to why, I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have specific physical limitations that are mitigated by the use of swing-off mounts. Also, many of my rifles are loaded with en bloc clips or stripper clips, which are unusable with a fixed scope.

As to why, I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have specific physical limitations that are mitigated by the use of swing-off mounts. Also, many of my rifles are loaded with en bloc clips or stripper clips, which are unusable with a fixed scope.
Those sound like good reasons for using a swing-away scope mount.

If you can adapt your mount to another rifle you own then it probably wouldn't be productive to wait to find someone who needs it for a Sako. Sako owners are generally very much opposed to drilling extra holes in their receivers, so I doubt finding anyone who would like to have it for their Sako. Probably the only receiver it would fit perfectly would be the L46/L461/L469/A-I small actions. The diameter of the next action up, the L57/579 is very little larger, so it would probably work okay on that one.

There's no dovetails about it; the Lo-Swing baseplate mounts to the left side of the receiver with four screws, drilled and tapped. The baseplate is contoured to the radius of the receiver, so it will only fit receivers of that exact diameter. Any mismatch will have the mount wobbling on a single line of contact, or standing off the receiver with only two narrow lines of contact, and needing over-long screws. I have no idea if other Sako models have the same diameter receivers as the L496., but that's why this particular mount is rifle-specific.

When I said I can see no reason, I was saying I don't think anybody with a Sako L469 would be inclined to butcher his rifle up with holes to use such a mount. Feel free to alter what you have!!

Those sound like good reasons for using a swing-away scope mount.

If you can adapt your mount to another rifle you own then it probably wouldn't be productive to wait to find someone who needs it for a Sako. Sako owners are generally very much opposed to drilling extra holes in their receivers, so I doubt finding anyone who would like to have it for their Sako. Probably the only receiver it would fit perfectly would be the L46/L461/L469/A-I small actions. The diameter of the next action up, the L57/579 is very little larger, so it would probably work okay on that one.

Thanks Stonecreek, that's basically what I was trying to find out. If I'm not depriving someone of a desirable part, then I'm happy to have it for my project. It's in perfect shape, ideal for my needs, and now I can use it with a clear conscience. I'll start milling this weekend.

Latest posts

Back