• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Source for quality 221 Fireball cases

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Just because P O Ackley died doesn’t mean that his spirit doesn’t live on. A good burn rate chart and pair of safety glasses and plastic hammer to beat bolt open and let work begin.

Stonecreek,

Yes, Excellent explanation!

For me accuracy does trump velocity, so how does a person research / decide on a powder that produces good velocity and great accuracy? I've had experience with the try powders other shooters have had success with until something works in your rifle method but if there is a more nuanced approach I'd love to learn it.

Thanks
During 50+ years of handloading (and having owned a chronograph for 48 of those years), I've found some powders in each burning range that usually provide both the desired velocity and accuracy, so I start with those. On the slow end good old surplus 4831 was always great; it being virtually gone I find IMR7828SSC a good substitute. Any of the 4895's have done well for me in the "medium" range. And AA1680 and AA2200 are my favorites in the fast end of the rifle spectrum. For handguns and shotguns Unique is unique. These certainly aren't the only powders I use, but they are among the first I try when hunting for a good load for a new rifle. But there is no real substitute for trial and error.

For handguns and shotguns Unique is unique.
I agree that Unique is excellent for accuracy and efficiency. It works great in .45ACP and .38 Special. It's also some of the dirtiest burning stuff I've ever shot, right up there with ComBloc military powders. There are more modern powders that give similar results without the excess gun-cleaning time. It's been a long time since I've loaded handgun ammo, so I can't name the substitutes off the top of my head, but there are good alternatives.

I agree, Unique has traditionally left behind some pretty cruddy looking bores. However, I can't tell that that has impaired its utility or accuracy, except perhaps in the case that you want to shoot very high volumes of ammunition between cleanings. I haven't used any of it, but the latest iteration of Unique is advertised as being much cleaner. I'm not sure how they do that without changing the nature and performance of the powder, but "they" (powder manufacturers/suppliers) claim that they perform such miracles regularly.

On the slow end good old surplus 4831 was always great; it being virtually gone I find IMR7828SSC a good substitute. Any of the 4895's have done well for me in the "medium" range. And AA1680 and AA2200 are my favorites in the fast end of the rifle spectrum.

Thanks stonecreek! Great information!

So where in the slow to fast spectrum do the .221 Fireball, .222 Remington, .223 Remington and 22-250 cartridges fall?

But there is no real substitute for trial and error.

I agree.

Thanks Chris

Yes, Parker did load em hot. Really hot. I remember starting with his lowest load and reducing by a grain or two just to make sure that I didn't blow the primers.

On another note. The only commercial 221 Fireball brass I ever got was from commercially available ammo. All the rest I formed from new or once fired brass that I had available. In my experience my formed brass performed great and with neck sizing the cases lasted forever. Give it a try. You might learn something.

Come to think of it, I have forms so much brass over the years that commercially produced ammo became only a second thought.

rick

So where in the slow to fast spectrum do the .221 Fireball, .222 Remington, .223 Remington and 22-250 cartridges fall?
The Fireball uses either AA1680 or AA2200 equally well. AA 2200 does fine in the .222, also and it is usable in the .223 with lighter bullets. The .222 through 22-250 will all digest 4895 with good results.

Back